2 casting rod setup

Started by ACJ, April 08, 2024, 05:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACJ

I'm looking to have 2 casting rods I can do pretty much anything except finesse fish with (I'll leave that to my spinning rod). I already have medium heavy, fast action 7' casting combo. Basically I'm asking what line I should put on the casting combo I already have, and what other casting rod length, weight, and action I should get.  And what line I should put on that one. (I don't need a specific rod, or brand, just the basic info about the rod.)

ACJ

I should have also added that I'm in far northern Minnesota, and I plan on doing about half my fishing from a boat and the other half from a kayak

Capt. BassinLou

What techniques will you mainly be throwing?

Bigbass201

Depends really on what you like to cast and fish with the most.  Just like Lou mentioned.
R & J Bass Fishing Videos

https://rumble.com/c/c-364035

ACJ

I kind of want to do a little bit of everything, but since I already have the medium heavy that I can use for jerkbaits, texas rigs, chatterbaits etc. I would probably use it for stuff like pitching and bigger top waters.
Maybe a 7'2 or 7'3 heavy? Or should I go with another medium heavy and run one with flouro, and one with braid?
Like I said I'm in far north mn and I'm not fishing a bunch of super heavy cover, the only stuff I pitch into is lilly pads.

mygreenihc

Hi AJC,  you will probably get many different opinions on this,  and probably some that are opposites of what I am going to suggest.  I actually think your planning is done well.  I have a boat full of rods and have one for most every technique,  but most of them just stay in the locker.  I have three Dobyns 743's which are medium-heavy.  I use these three rods most of the time,  unless I need something that these will not do.  These rods will fish 80% of all the baits that I use regularly.  So,  what  i am about to suggest is based upon me doing basically what you are talking about doing.

If you like the rod that you have already,  go buy another one just like it.  Spend the time and money to get two good combo's that you like and set them both up the same.  If they are alike,  then you can use either for anything that you need to tie on.  If they are different,  then you will be cutting off baits and re-tying constantly.  Lilly pads can be tough,  but I would find me a good quality flourocarbon, 12 to 15 pound test, and put it on both reels. 

I am assuming that you typically fish crystal clear water as well.

Brad

ACJ

Quote from: mygreenihc on April 15, 2024, 02:04:38 PMHi AJC,  you will probably get many different opinions on this,  and probably some that are opposites of what I am going to suggest.  I actually think your planning is done well.  I have a boat full of rods and have one for most every technique,  but most of them just stay in the locker.  I have three Dobyns 743's which are medium-heavy.  I use these three rods most of the time,  unless I need something that these will not do.  These rods will fish 80% of all the baits that I use regularly.  So,  what  i am about to suggest is based upon me doing basically what you are talking about doing.

If you like the rod that you have already,  go buy another one just like it.  Spend the time and money to get two good combo's that you like and set them both up the same.  If they are alike,  then you can use either for anything that you need to tie on.  If they are different,  then you will be cutting off baits and re-tying constantly.  Lilly pads can be tough,  but I would find me a good quality flourocarbon, 12 to 15 pound test, and put it on both reels.

I am assuming that you typically fish crystal clear water as well.

Brad

Thank you. I haven't bought anything yet, but I'm definitely thinking about another medium heavy. And yeah, smaller flouro might be better because the water is super clear up here