Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

0630-1:00
Sunny to Partly Cloudy
Wind: S 8
Temp: 92
Water Temp: 82
Water Level: Still coming up with a strong current in the river

I started the day fishing a cove on the lake with a good bit of pads. Slow going until I hooked up to a good one on a Bitters Toad. Felt like a real solid fish until the hook pulled loose. I tried a variety of baits with no success. I moved over to the river and the current was ripping! Nothing going so I went back to the lake. I found a nice little flat with activity in front of an airboat trail. I picked up the first fish of the day, a dink on a Bitters Swimmer and lost 2 more in the same area. Boy was I struggling! I thought that I might be on to something so i moved to another mouth of a big airboat trail that dumped into the river. As I was putting the trolling motor down they started schooling! I picked up the white fluke and for the next hour had a blast! Most of the fish were nice chunks from 2 1/2 to 4 lbs. It was a really unique looking spot. At the mouth of the trail was a line of flooded ferns that paralleled the bank about 5 ft. out. The fish were holding in the slot between the ferns and the bank and we're busting bait as they were washed into the slot from the river current. I had to line the boat up with  the slot. It was tough getting positioned in the strong current. I caught 11 with the fluke and went back through pitching a Zoom Z Hog Jr. into the ferns for the final fish of the day, a nice 4 pounder. That school and spot really saved the day! Ended up with 13 fish total, 12 caught in the last hour. Unfortunately my picture taking skills need help. I tried talking pictures of each fish but only a couple pics came out. I couldn't see the phone display in the bright sun to see if it was working. Oh well! Lol

SFL BassHunter

Not too bad of a day, at least the last hour saved it. I am sure that flurry was fun!
I always get excited when I see schooling fish lol. What really makes me go crazy is when I see them schooling in the middle of the lake but I am on the bank. Standing there going "DAMN IT I CAN"T REACH!"

BTW on your phone the trick is to increase the brightness all the way up, so you can see it in the sunlight. It's already habit for me to do that before I start fishing and then I turn it back down when I am finished. This way I can take the pic and see what I am taking the picture of.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Thanks for the report Flats, nice chunks!!

Lipripper

Thanks for the report Flats and that's a nice looking Bass. ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

big g

Nice job Flats, you figured out a pattern and cleaned up out there. ~c~
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Deadeye

That's a cool story. Glad you found them and then figured out how to make them bite.

Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Nicely done sir. Hot spots are always nice when the timing is perfect. Good job of seeking that one out.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FlatsNBay

Thanks fellas. I really thought that I was working on a goose egg untill I figured it out and found some active fish at the end of my trip.

As much as I like Bitters baits I really was disappointed in their version of a toad. The plastic is so soft that I lost a few baits that flew off the hook on a cast. I was using a screw lock frog hook. Maybe Texas rig would work better. I'm going to stick with Zoom Horny Toads.

LgMouthGambler

I like the horny toads in the darker colors. It seems to me, the darker colors that Zoom makes, the plastic composition seems to be tougher.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.