Power pro braid snapping

Started by Bar of Silver, August 14, 2011, 05:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Shawn-

One of you Guys with Heavy Vegetation should test it too.  From what I am seeing I think PowerPro will actually cut through the Vegetation better than the suffix 832.  That could be a huge difference in Pad stems.  I know powerPro will saw throught them, but the 832 doesn't seem like it will cut through as well.  :-\

bassmaster3541

I fish my horny toads with the 832 mostly in all pads, alot of which have a stem at least an inch thick ( im not sure if that is thick for down south but they are for up here, and some are thicker than that) and the 832 cuts through them very well for me. I havent fished the powerpro in pads much, I just got powerpro on one of my rods at the end of this year so the pads were starting to die off, I will definitely give it a try next year when the pads are back on my toad rod, because I can't give a real comparison as to if it cuts through the pads better or worse than the 832, but I know hte 832 does work well for me in the pads
Pro Staff for Dobyns Rods, Elite Tungsten, and Buggs Jigs

-Shawn-

I am just going off the fact that the 832 seems to NOT cut my fingers as bad as powerpro.

With that said I have only had it on a rod for 1 trip before I went back to work and that wound up being mostly a sqarebill and trap bite, so I don't have a whole lot of time with it.

With this trip to Falcon I will have more than enough time when I get back to know the difference in Brush, but there willl be zero vegetation there.

ex301p

FX2 Braid, end of story! HEHE, I just felt left out of the argument so I thought I would throw in my new favorite braid, FX2 for the win. Okay carry on PP Lovers.  ~roflmao

yak-aholic

I use Sufix Performance Braid. Mostly 10lb. I have had it snap off at my reel a few times, but that's probably due to my yanking on it when I have a backlash. I have been spending a lot of time in the yard trying to reduce the occurence of backlashes. Until that happens, I feel like it's my fault, not faulty line. Other than that, the Sufix has performed flawlessly for me. Landing redfish up to 15 lbs with no problem. I know this is a bass forum and when I have more bass fishing to relate to, I'll use those experiences, but for now it's been almost all salt/brackish.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught.

Mike Cork

Not a problem on the Red Fish comparison.  Many of us know how hard they pull :shocking: Thanks for commenting.  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TNDiver

I can't wait to hear the test results as I am about to put braid on my reel for the first time.  I am a bit concerned about the line snapping though, especially if I lose an expensive frog lure!
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Stump bumper

The place I have Line snapping issues is the knot between braid and flourocarbon. When I get lazy and don't trim the knot well and it snags the eye on a cast it will snap the knot on me and zing a lure acroos the lake. Last one I lost like that was a pencil popper that went so far up into the woods I didn't even go look for it. lo Why I had a leader on a pencil popper was stupid anyway.

I just took off some power pro that was over a year old and replaced it with Spiderwire Stealth that was on sale at Academy and I would rather have the year old power pro back. I have never seen a braid that tangles and knots as bad as that stealth. ~rant

Beaver Lake  Arkansas

Broskee

I am going to go back to power pro as well, i have had stealth for a while and it hasn't impressed me much!!!

-Shawn-

Quote from: TNDiver on December 22, 2011, 11:31:27 AM
I can't wait to hear the test results as I am about to put braid on my reel for the first time.  I am a bit concerned about the line snapping though, especially if I lose an expensive frog lure!

If you use 50 pound PP you won't have any issues at all with the line snapping.  ;)

TNDiver

a follow up question may be what knot is everyone using to tie the braid to mono or flouro???  That also could be the problem.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Stump bumper

In serveral theads seems everyone perfers the uni to uni and I have started using that one also since the J knot will grab the eye more often.
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

OutdoorFrontiers

The few times that I use a leader, I use a Uni-Uni knot.  I'm sure you can find a diagram on how to tie it.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

joeyblueblood

I've been using the Albright knot to connect flouro to braid. so far, so good. you tube it.

joeyblueblood

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 07, 2011, 09:21:09 AM
How is power pro out dated? I've been using it for several years and never had a problem. I guess I don't understand how it could be out dated? That would be like saying Trilene is out dated because there are other brands to pick from? Or that reaction innovations sweet beaver is out dated because there or copies every where

I understand there are options, that's a great thing! But it doesn't mean the original is bad, or does it?

I have 200% faith in power pro and have pulled monster bass from the thickest of cover and never worried about if I would break it off. If it's snapping on a cast more often than not it's the knot slipping. Not always but a good place to start looking, and that goes for any braid. The first fix is to make sure your doubling the hook or bait eye with your braid as it slips easily.
Mike, what knot are you using for braid, if you don't mind telling us? thx

Diggy_

In my case when I found the lure the line was still attached, I use the line to bring it back in when snagging it with my other rod

Mike Cork

Someone that is breaking line on a cast, any line, I would recommend they look at their knot.

Quote from: Diggy_ on December 27, 2011, 04:50:43 PM
In my case when I found the lure the line was still attached, I use the line to bring it back in when snagging it with my other rod

In this case I would look at your guides and reel to make sure there isn't an issue. No matter what line you're using. It shouldn't break. If it did and did it on a regular basis, do you think said company would still be in business ~roflmao Even Ande still makes line and it still catches record setting fish.

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

Quote from: joeyblueblood on December 27, 2011, 01:21:31 PM
Mike, what knot are you using for braid, if you don't mind telling us? thx

Believe it or not I call the knot I use a "No Knot"  ~roflmao Because if you miss any step it will fall apart in your hands. I have searched the web for it and never came across it. My old man taught it to me many many many moons ago. Laurie and I are going to do a video with me tying it as it's difficult to understand. The beauty of this knot is that it doesn't cut into it's self. Once tied correctly you can actually slide it up and down the line. We are both under the weather right now but look for it after the first of the year.

Cork's Reel Service

yak-aholic

Definitely looking forward to seeing this "No-Knot" knot. Let us know when you get the vid up.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught.

Diggy_

Lost 2 lures back to back...i pulled all of the line off. I wanted to throw my rod and reel in the lake..luckily a kid in a kayak got one back for me and tried to get the other. I have him ten bucks for his efforts.

Officially done with spectra on my main setups. I have some on a spinning reel I'm not concerned about and two boxes of 40lb sitting that I'll use on some loaner equipment.

At least it allowed me to do some reel cleaning

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

-Shawn-

I use the knot mike uses and I think it is officially called the sandiego jam knot. ??

bassincali

i use the very first knot i ever learned the plain loop knot the same one you first learn to tie on the eagle claw hooks with line on them.  i have never had braid break or the knot come loose

Mike Cork

Quote from: -Shawn- on December 31, 2011, 08:45:15 PM
I use the knot mike uses and I think it is officially called the sandiego jam knot. ??

I thought the same thing Shawn. Had a pro tie it for me one time and he did it a little different? So I don't know if it was his "version" or what LOL

Hoping to work this before too long. I'm excited about doing the video stuff for the site. Have lots of ideas for things to put up :-*

Cork's Reel Service

Diggy_

Trying out 832 65lb braid now. I hope it works for me

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

BamaCoast

I have purchased several bad spools of power pro however I am still using it. Dodgeguy makes some very good observations and I believe I will give the Sufix a try.
Kenny

This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him