TWRA Asian Carp Update

Started by TNDiver, January 11, 2022, 11:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

The link discusses Asian Carp but also how it is affecting Bass and their numbers in Barkley and Kentucky Lakes.  Some encouraging info
https://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors/twra-provides-asian-carp-update
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

coldfront

always good to hear positive news.  would love to see some other fish population statistics:  specifically blue cats and flatheads.
have seen some fisheries data that suggests that when blues hit a certain size, their growth rates actually INCREASE as they're able to access/handle larger prey.

those oily, high protein asian carp 'snacks' seem ready-made for growing lots of big blues.  and since those blues are still pretty active in cold winter water temps, they ought to be able to feed up through Dec-Jan-Feb on larger prey species like the asian carp.
ultimately, recruitment of crappie, bluegill, bass will still be primarily driven by access to spawning habitat and THEN the nursery areas where the fry can survive and grow....  even then, only about 1 in 10,000 make it to maturity.  it's a pretty tough world.

TNDiver

Yeah it is crazy when you look at survival rates for fry and it makes you appreciate those fish that can reach larger sizes, but also the amount of fish it takes to feed a lake. 
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Mike Cork

Something I never see mentioned in these stories, and is a big concern when they do studies in my area is fish biomass. The biologist say that an acre of lake can hold so many pounds of fish. Just for simple terms - An acre can hold 5 ten pound fish or 50 one pound fish. So when you start mixing it up, a 10 pound gunnel and a 5 pound alligator gar take 15 pounds of other fish out of that acre.

All that said, the size of asian carp could be seriously detrimental to this equation? I'm just not sure how much a carp effects that. Certainly the could hurt the shad population but according to this quick read that hasn't happened.  ~c~ But if it starts to effect the shad, then it starts to effect the poundage a acre can support.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

don't forget that all the agricultural run off (not just pesticides) increases fertility of our waters.  and here, we still have plenty of limestone and 'fresh' inputs when it rains.  thoughts were that the asian carp (bighead, sliver, blacks) would deplete the zooplankton and plankton levels (that's what our YOY fish and shad feed on).  that's still a function of water fertility.  then, too, those big cats get to transition to larger prey... like those 5-10 lb silvers...  and they grow faster, eating more.
I hear that Kentucky lake is 'rebounding' (if Crispin's comments are any indication and the recent improvement in tournament weights).

add to that the commercial guys... and from what I've seen, the flavor/eating quality of these fish is excellent.  if I were wanting to 'fill a freezer' I'd take a cooler with ice, after catching one, immediately gut it/bleed it and ice it...  repeat until the boat would be in danger of sinking...  then take home and put them in the freezer after cutting to desired size (probably soak in salt water for a bit first)...
heck, a guy wouldn't even need to fish for them, just run a tin john boat around and collect the ones that jump in.  but that is a very messy approach.  these things leave slime like nothing else and their meat bruises easy.

it's an interesting issue.  see all sides of it.  and continue to hope that the 'downsides' aren't nearly as HUGE as have been painted.  kinda like what we're seeing with the zebras (mussels, no offense to you all 'bama fans!)
;D