rough draft of my resume... need more input

Started by Bassonly, December 04, 2006, 06:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassonly

This basically show what I have to offer. Please help me get it organized and set up better. Thanks, Boone

--------------------------

Hello, my name is Boone Powell. I am a sophomore in high school, and I will be competing in the 2007 Jr. Bassmaster series here in central Texas. I live in Waco, Texas, and I am home school. Being home schooled gives me what I believe is an advantage. I am able to have more time to work on my business, BTR Custom Jigs, and to fish. I have seriously pursued the sport of bass fishing for three years.
   My strong points are flipping and pitching to cover, but I have also developed a proficiency in the area of crankbaits, fishing offshore structure with a Carolina rig, a deep crankbait, or a drop shot. I have a confidence in my abilities on and off the water. When I am fishing a tournament, I enjoy it, but I am not out there for fun; I am there to catch fish and win. When I am off the water, I am usually working on my small business and frequenting fishing websites and forums. If I know of a big tournament that I will not be able to participate I will still try my best to be present and display the logo or product of the companies I am promoting. The last tournament I was at was a BASS Federation Nation shootout tournament. I took a box of BTR Custom Jigs, and I showed them to every person who was interested. I am a member of a BASS affiliated organization called Legacy Outfitters. I promote products at the Legacy monthly meetings, and at the fishing groups that meet monthly as well. I have been successful in my marketing techniques, and I have contributed to the sales of several companies.
   Starting a small business has been a good learning experience as I have researching marketing, sales, promoting products, and other aspects which will be helpful to future sponsors' companies. These skills are invaluable to them because I know how to market my own product as well as those of other companies. I have also owned another small business called Boone's Tackle Resource. I sold Alluring Baits products, I built up connections with a lot of people. I advertised through word of mouth, and sold the baits out of my house. I learned a lot about advertising, and  it was a beneficial learning time of my life.
   I am also an outdoor writer. I write about specific techniques for websites, the occasional newspaper article, and for friends. This provides a good opportunity to promote the products I use. I am working on an article that I believe will be published in the spring. It allows me to reach several hundred or even thousands of people that I would not be able to otherwise.
   I am a public speaker, and currently participate in public speaking classes to further that skill. Speaking to a group is an incredible way to expose people to an idea or product, and I have had the honor of speaking to many groups on the various aspects of bass fishing and products. I  speak to 100 people a year on a regular basis. With the other opportunities that come along during the year, I would add 100. At a Jr. Bassmaster tournament, there should be about 40 people at each weigh-in, substantially more at a state championship. These figures do not include the people I meet everyday that I would be able to tell about sponsors' products. As a writer I have been published in local papers that distribute 3200 copies weekly, and an article that I wrote will be posted on a website soon. I am currently writing several articles to submit to some of the larger newspapers in Texas, as well as several bass fishing magazines.
   I can assure you that my skills are being more fully developed every day, and that I am working to become a better angler, as well as a better speaker and writer. I would be honored to be able to promote sponsors while I do what I am good at: fish competitively.
Boone Powell
Fishing is my job and my passion.

Bassonly

Umm, I really need some input. I am supposed to send this to Tru-Tungsten ASAP, as well as others. Please post any suggestions you might have.
Boone Powell
Fishing is my job and my passion.

Mike Cork

You have a good start here  ~c~ although some might think it is an act of humility, others won't so try not to mention any down falls or failures in your business endeavours.

Tell us what kind of speaking engagements you do, are they teaching bass fishing leasons, are they emcee'ing tournaments, what kind of audience are you working with here.

How many tournaments are you going to fish? You have numbers of participants, that's great but how many events. Don't speculate give them hard numbers.

List a place or two that they can look at a sample of your writing, if you have been published name the abolishment. Was it the Waco Daily News and if so call them and find out how many papers they circulate on average.

Let's get a professional picture of you and your tournament attire to add to this as well.

Lots of good info in your draft here  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Swede

Bassonly -

Some very good qualities you have - very impressive.  Wish I was where you were at at your age.  I'd be glad to help you out.  I've got a tourney tomorrow, but will have some time after that.  Resumes take some time to get all the kinks out.  I think I worked on mine for pretty near a month before I was happy with it.  Mike gave some very good feedback - I would also recommend reading my resume tips post .......

http://ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php/topic,15508.0.html

By no means is this the final word - just a few things that I've learned along the way.  The more people that you have review - the better.  I'll also forward a copy of my year end email to my sponsors which may help you out.  PM me you email address and I'll forward.
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts