Does this really apply to me???

Started by dave the dope man, June 28, 2005, 10:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave the dope man

I have been reading the resume's here and have decided that like in most of my tournaments lately, I would come in pretty low to the bottom. Now, as I am saying this there may be others out there saying the same thing, does this really apply to me, how bad will a weak resume look to a potential sponsor, how long will a weak resume follow me. Mike, Laurie, CMegee, Fishforfree, and others, what do you think. Is it worth it to post a resume if it doesn't compare to others?.......Dave  :help:

I decided to come back and ask one more question that may be on others minds. Is it the resume, or the amount of dedication. Can the dedication factor be seen in a resume?
Okay that was two questions........Dave

Siggy by DundeeMike

fishforfree

Well, well, well...............now there's an interesting question.  I might go as far as to say a "brilliant question." ~c~

Resumes are a list of accomplishments and I believe they are somewhat necessary if a potential sponsor is looking for accomplishments.

Myself...............I could care less

In my opinion, unless you're a professional angler like Randy Howell, that can be seen on national television, or be heard on national radio, or interviewed in magazines like BASSMASTER, it really doesn't matter to me.  I've never seen Randy's resume – it wasn't necessary.

Why did I sponsor Randy Howell?  He's a worldwide figure, maybe not like Clint Eastwood, but in the bass fishing industry – he's known!

Now, I'm not trying to take a "pot shot" at anyone, but if you remove the name on the resume, they kinda all look the same.  And I can assure you there are thousands and thousands that look just like 'em.

I look for someone who is going to promote my product and me, whether they have a mile long resume or simply their name at the top.

Why did I sponsor Mike & Laurie for the UBCS?  Because they're real, and when they tell you something.........they mean it and people can tell. AND they put me in front of hundreds of thousands of people on this site.  I don't care if they ever win another tournament or even fish one!

Dave...............First, I believe that being dedicated and committed to a sponsor is more important than anything you can list on a resume.

For example: Look at Bman's gallery.  In there you'll find my website on the back of his leaning seat.  Did I ask him to do that? Nope. Is he dedicated to promoting me?  Heck yeh!!  Has he won a long list of tournaments?  I have no clue.  He's dedicated to promoting fishforfree.

Next, I believe what you'll do for your sponsor in the future is very, very important.  How will you be able to promote him/her?  How can you bring them more business?  Do you have an angle to promote his or her company that no one else is doing? 

The bottom line for any potential sponsor is – What's in it for me? 

Let's say you're a tackle company and you get 2 emails on the same day, at the same time.  One says, "Dave's Resume" in the subject line and the other says, "I'd like to help promote your company" in the subject line.  Which email would you open first? 

Wouldn't you be interested in talking to the guy/gal that said I'd like to help promote your company?  Of course you would, and so would any potential sponsor.  Business people want more business. Period.

Find out how to help them get it and I can assure you they won't be so interested in a weak or allegedly "strong" resume.

Great question Dave
~c~

MotherNature

Dave,

I have to agree with fishforfree. I really don't think it is about where you finish in a tournament, it is about the people that you will meet, talk to and those that will see you. It is all marketing...

Of course that is only my opinion because obviously we don't have folks that we truly sponsor. I hope to one day be able to sponsor a few folks but for now we are just in the market to hook up the right folks with the right folks ;)

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

dave the dope man

Thanks guys. I knew that would spark some conversation and bring up some good points. Right now, I'm not really looking for sponsorship until I get the go-ahead from my doc, and untill then I am out here and willing to help the other guys. Lets see what else gets posted here in the next few days.....thanks, Dave

Siggy by DundeeMike

dave the dope man

:roll2:
Okay, I just got it Fishforfree...it only took me an hour to do so....So you liked that question...... lo .....Dave

Siggy by DundeeMike

earthworm77

A sparkling list of accomplishments may help a little but the bottom line that a sponsor company looks for is a person who is marketable. This depends more on the enthusiasm and character of the individual looking for a sponsorship.

I'll be completely honest with you. I likely have waded through over 350 resumes and I currently have 12 people on my Staff from these resumes. This is what I look for in order of importance:

1-knowledge of my product
2-manner in which this person conducts himself
3-enthusiasm for the position/trustworthiness
4-hate to say it but grammar and the way this person speaks to me are important

This all translates into marketability.

A list of accomplishments shows me this person has been around the block and although helpful, but not really all that necessary if the person has the important traits I'm looking for. I'd guess that 75% of the resumes I recieve have people who are relying on their accomplishments to get them the position....that never works because usually they come off as if they are really conceited. Listen, my tournament track record is stellar but I'll be the first to admit that winning rinky dink tournaments means very little in the grand scheme of things. So anyone who writes me thinking they are Rick Clunn has no chance. My advice Dopeman, be yourself, highlight your strengths and remember to let the sponsor know why you would be a good choice for the position. Let them know what you can do for them. By doing this, you get past the leeriness that sponsors may put up to protect themselves against those who want something for nothing. Hope that helped.
Micro Munch Tackle

I am my own man.

fishforfree

Earthworm77,

As usual.................very well said ~c~

dave the dope man

Earthworm, this brings up another item that I have often thought about. You were saying that its the enthusiasm and grammar, now with that said, I find that at times it is hard to infer intent in the written word. Proper english and the written word is a stong suit of mine (not bragging, its one of the only things that I am pretty good at). I have always wonderd two things: 1. is it better to meet face to face and really get to know the person and what they are about? 2. When talking to a group, is it better to talk on the level with and like the group, or use semi-technical terms and hope they understand..

Here's how I look at it; 1. I like face to face meetings and sealing a deal with a handshake, that way you know the person and what they expect without any question.
2. I try to talk on a level that anyone can understand, sometimes I fail at this, but I try. If I am talking to weekend anglers, I try to expalin things as simply as possible and will draw pictures, whereas if I am talking with seasoned tournament anglers, I am at more of liberty to speak without reservation.

Thanks guys, I hoped this would incite more conversation and it looks like it worked......Thanks again....Dave

Siggy by DundeeMike

Rickoos

Earthworm,

I'm thinking on the same base as Dave,,,,,,,,,I have seen it happen before when a well dressed, well spoken guy walks into a room to talk to a bass club and the first thing said behind his back is, man, he acts like we are dumb or something........or he sure acts like he is above us. I feel it is better to be on the same level as the guys you are speaking with so you can mix in the crowd and be liked by everyone there....... If you can win there attention and loyalty and show them that you really care, then you have a better chance of promoting your product....

Like you said, be yourself......

Ricky
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

earthworm77

I agree with both of you up to a point.

Dave, I get resumes from people who should be embarrassed for sending them to me. I'm not talking about someone who makes a typo, I'm talking about just abominations of the English language. I'm no scholar but a little proof reading is absolutely necessary. If I feel someone doesn't take their own resume seriously enough to make it readable so I or the one reading it doesn't have to struggle through it, then there is no reason why I should take it seriously. Should I be convinced that they are going to pick up the slack for me? These may be tough words but I want the best person for the job and someone who writes in incomplete sentences and has terrible grammar and mispellings likely isn't that person I'm looking for.

Listen these people want a position so they should be trying to make a good impression. This is why it is inexusable. It is kind of like applying for a job. I can't give a personal interview so a written one should make a good impression on me.

As far as people saying something behind the back of some one who is well spoken and conducts himself in a professional manner, why is there anything wrong with someone who goes against the grain of what the non fishing public may have set as a stereotype for us fisherman. I think the typical non fishing person believes that we are all goobers who walk around with a hunk of cud in our mouth and have drawl accents. There is no reason to fuel that stereotype. Someone who is well spoken is easeir to listen to. I'd rather take my chances with the well spoken guy who can project thoughts from his head to his mouth with little difficulty. This is about fishing and someone representing me. If I thought for a second that one of my guys was a jack-a$$ and felt he was better than the people he would be speaking to, well, he wouldn't be on my staff. This is an evaluation. I have to know how this person conducts himself to have the confidence in him. But understand, I'm not hiring Pierce Brosnan to promote my products. Most of my guys are club members themselves. I don't see it as a problem.

There is nothing wrong with speaking in simple terms. I do it when I speak and when I write articles. You have to assume that those who you target need clear, concise and step by step instruction. I certainly do not mean that I want some rocket scientist who used 15 letter words in each sentence. If that is what you thought, I guess I conveyed the message incorrectly. I just look for someone who can speak clearly and make points easy to understand for people.

Let me be 100% truthful to you. If I walked into a club meeting down South and gave a speech, I'm sure somebody would point out my NY accent, and that I am a Yankee. But I assure you once I got rolling and the jokes ended, I'd win them over with my message. If you know what you are talking about, you will have no problems.....unless of course your in some backwards a$$ town with no electricity....if that was the case I'd be listening for the Deliverence banjo's and I'd be high tailing it outta there lickety split.

Rick, I agree with you about winning their attention but your statement seems to imply that we as fishermen may not be as well spoken or on the same level as someone who is. I do disagree with that. This has nothing to do with a persons accent but everything to do with their ability to speak in clearly and in complete sentences. I think the magority can do that. That is part of what marketability is all about.
Micro Munch Tackle

I am my own man.

Fishaholic

QuoteRick, I agree with you about winning their attention but your statement seems to imply that we as fishermen may not be as well spoken or on the same level as someone who is. I do disagree with that. This has nothing to do with a persons accent but everything to do with their ability to speak in complete sentences. I think the magority can do that.

bottom line guys is...just because we fish doesn't mean we have to have the "country hick" image or the "wilderness freak" image attached to our mentality.

Nothing wrong with being able to form clear, concise sentences that communicate rather than confuse.

earthworm77

Fish, I didn't want to say "Hick" but I swear I thought it!!! You and me are eye to eye on this! Country Bumpkin was another term I toyed with.
Micro Munch Tackle

I am my own man.

Fishaholic

I know...you skirted the issue of labeling, but when it comes to stereotype labels that people attribute to others, I'm pretty straight forward and brutally honest.

They're only words...they don't really hurt...trust me, they don't. lo

dave the dope man

Earthworm, you are my kinda person. I like how you can precisely convey your thoughts and at the same time make me laugh....Deliverance....thats funny....I do understand what you are saying though. Who really knows what kind of audience you have in a group of say 30 or more people. You may have 3 people who have a 6th grade education ( I can say that, I have cousins in LA [Lower Alabama] like that) and the rest of the group may have college level educations and want to hear more of the technical side. Now of those two groups, which one may have more capitol to spend on your product?
Again thank you for your input here. I think these things need to said to dispell some myths and half-truths about our sport and more precisely- the sponsors expectations.....Dave

Siggy by DundeeMike

fishforfree

Soooooooo  after all this info...................I guess it does apply to you Dave!

AND obviously every other angler that may entertain the thought of possibly obtaining any sort of sponsorship.

There is some very, very solid info in this post - Thanks earthworm77 ~c~

earthworm77

As far as economics, money talks, if a bait works, it will sell itself to whomever fish's. I'll be honest, I've never thought about specifically targetting groups of people by other than tournament fishermen and non tournament fishermen.

Be yourself-
This past January I was a guest speaker at the NY boat show. I did roughly 18 seminars in 8 days or so. I spoke on a stage in the beginning part of the week and by Wednesday I was up on the Hog Tank....OK, I'm afraid of hieghts, go figure, I'm  a Housing Cop who used to routinely patrol the tops of 20 story buildings looking for gun wielding maniacs....ah safety first...but I digress, anyway I'm into my Final Saturday afternoon seminar in front of about 200 people, the place was mobbed and I'm just cranking along to the point that I'm making myself dizzy because I'm talking way too much. I see Larry Nixon in the audience and he gives me a nod, I had helped him with his earlier seminars and he came to mine to check me out. Out of the corner of my eye I see BASS Pro Jason Reynolds (who runs the tank)start to come up the ladder of the tank, I turn to see what is up and he hands me a note....he knows I am a little nervous but the note says "Your doing awesome, I want to hire you, Larry Nixon is in the back on your left, Jimmy Houston is in the far right corner and Triton President Earl Bentz is watching you from his booth, he asked about you and wanted to know if you had a boat sponsor".

Well of course now I'm really about to pass out as my usual butterflies turn to all out anxiety. With that I start to pitch feverishly into the tank. I go on to explain  a few things about the bait I'm using and all of a sudden I hang up on the largest rock in the tank. I'm sure most people didn't even notice but I was mortified. I had to break off 15lb Fluorocarbon. But you know what, I didn't panic and just tried to be myself despite the pressure. I wound up taking with all three guys after the seminar and I impressed. My Triton sponsorship may come in the future when I'm ready for it if and when I join Jason working on the tank. lol
Micro Munch Tackle

I am my own man.

CouchTater

Earthworm, don't take this the wrong way...

QuoteI think the typical non fishing person believes that we are all goobers who walk around with a hunk of cud in our mouth and have drawl accents. There is no reason to fuel that stereotype. Someone who is well spoken is easeir to listen to. I'd rather take my chances with the well spoken guy who can project thoughts from his head to his mouth with little difficulty.

QuoteThis has nothing to do with a persons accent but everything to do with their ability to speak in clearly and in complete sentences. I think the magority can do that.

Here is the way I see it.  In other words, someone with a strong "SOUTHERN" Accent/Drawl, more than likely will not able to speak clearly, correct?   

Ok, I'll run with that.  Seem to me before the last election, at the RNC, Zell Miller delivered a fantastic speech to the assembly.  Two things about Zell that coincide with this topic. First of all, his accent is very strong.  Two, he has a drawl also...  ::) 

Some of us "Country Bumpkins", can talk in complete sentence's  with our "Drawls"...   >:(

@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

earthworm77

Tater absolutely not, I think you took something here and ran with it a little prematurely. I don't think you understand what I'm saying here....these are not my thoughts, they are the thoughts of what I beleive a typical non fishing person thinks of US. I'm in the same boat right with you bro. Long Live the South man, I'll be living down there soon enough.

As I said, and you quoted it, accent has absolutely nothing to do with this. So please do not label me as someone who is stereotyping our group. I don't feel a persons geographic location gives him any disadvantage to become a good speaker.
Micro Munch Tackle

I am my own man.

Bman

earthworm77,
  Man you are great help and not just you.  I want to say thanks to all that are sharing their wisdom.
  We all must remember that you have to start somewhere and many of the skills needed will come with time.  We will make some mistakes but if we learn from them we will be better in the long run.

Bman

dave the dope man

Hey Tater, I may have made that remark about the drawl and "Alabama" thing. I wasn't inferring anything sterotypical there, just trying to make a point that may have gone astrew. What I wanted to do here was to start some discussion about what really makes the difference between a weak resume and strong resume, and if it really makes a difference in the long run..

I have a thread somewhere here about loyalty and commitment. It seems to me that they (loyality, commitment, and enthusiasim) all go together.

Here is the last question for the board and the guys in the know....

At what point can a person realistically say to themselves "You know, I have the drive, dedication, and enthusiasim to represent a company?"

Lets keep it going here and thanks for the input from everyone..........Dave

Siggy by DundeeMike

earthworm77

Dave, I think the one thing I may be able to add to answer that question is this:

Have you ever really gotten excited about something, I mean to the point that you couldn't wait to tell somebody about it? Realistically, this was my feeling when I used a Kistler rod for the first time. I had felt that it had essentially saved my arm and my fishing. I was excited and so much so that I called the company and told them so. Here I am a year+ later and I'm still excited about their product line. You see for me, I believe in the products that I promote. If you or anyone else can get into that frame of mind, your already there.

I have always run into people who questioned why I promoted a product or company. They tend to answer their own question with things like...because he gets free gear. The bottom line is this, free gear is no good if you really don't use it due to it being crap. Find some product that you believe in and go from there. That is how I start off. Knowing about the product from the company you want to be sponsored by is such a big plus. And when you write that resume, the person who reads it knows if you are genuine or not. I once got a resume from a guy who was talking about a custom bait I made for a friend, nobody else had this bait. He must have seen a conversation online and wanted to impress me by saying he had some, only he didn't know that I only made this particular bait for my friend.....well, if you think I'm blunt and to the point on this site, you can only imagine what colorful "honesty" I had for this guy. Honesty is the best policy! Be yourself and you might be surprised with the outcome.

Good luck bro, let me know if I can personally help you out in any way, pm me and I'll drop you my phone #. You may not be able to understand my Yankee drawl though......lol!!!
Micro Munch Tackle

I am my own man.

Bman

Dave,
  I am still a green horn but,enthusiasm is easy if you believe in what you are marketing.  Drive and dedication I believe are personality traits you either have it you don't.  It took me around 18 months from the time I decide that I want to try to get sponsors to research what I was going to get into.  So to answer your question: when I new I could give 100% to the people I was contacting.  Another thing was when I knew that I would not fail at it if a gave 100%.

Bman

Fishaholic

QuoteHonesty is the best policy! Be yourself and you might be surprised with the outcome.
[/size]

...no truer words were ever spoken.

dave the dope man

allright guys. Last year I was talking with a mfg that made aproduct directly involved in the angling sports. I am not going to name any names here or give hints, but I was offered a sponsorship, after talking with the person for about 3 months, I declined. I didn't feel like I could in good conscious promote thier product at 100%.
I understand what is going on most of the time, and I keep abreast ( I said abreast), of the yearly offerings of different mfgs. I know what I like and I am loyal to what I know and like. Now I have been venturing outside of my comfort zone lately and trying some new companies products and I will continue to do so. I am not ready to seek any sponsorship untill I am 100% or as close as I can be......I wanted to keep this going so that some of our readers may learn something new....

Thanks again guys....Earthworm...At the next Ultimatebass event you need to attend so we can meet brother......Dave

Siggy by DundeeMike

Fishaholic

My take on all this stuff is short and sweet, because I believe that morality, ethics and the willingness to promote someone else's product 110% is the lion's share of the game.

Think about how many celebrities endorse a product that they've never used...sure, they made some big bucks for their endorsement of the product, but was it ethical on their part to do so...no...

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter what the vender has to offer, ethics and morality are still issues that mean something...If I've never used the product, it would be dishonest for me to solicit sponsorship from any given vendor; if they outline tenets by which they choose who they sponsor, don't argue with them, it's their right to choose who they decide to sponsor...after all, for as much as they have to gain, they have just as much to lose by sponsoring someone without morals and ethics...

Our responsibility is to whoever sponsors us, to meet their expectations, not our own. If they expect you to generate X amount of sales, or at least X amount of inquiries regarding their product/services and you can't meet their agenda, don't cry foul if they drop you from their stable...from their vantage point, it's purely business...if you're doing your job, you have nothing to worry about...but if you're only taking advantage of the generosity of the sponsors, don't cry sour grapes if they choose to drop you like a hot potato.

If the sponsor meets the expectations of the fisherman/woman that they're sponsoring; and, conversely the fisherman/woman meets the expectations of the Sponsor...then it's simply a win/win proposition.

I believe some people collect sponsors much the same way as a boy scout collecing badges...to some there's meaning to the whole scheme of things, and to others it's just a game to prove that they have more feathers in their cap than the other guy/gal.

fishforfree

Very good answers Bman, earthworm and fishaholic ~c~

I agree!!

Let me give you 2 personal examples: Gambler worm weights and Lure Eyes Sunglasses.

I use and tell people about these products whenever there is an oportunity.  I must have had a half dozen people try on my 1 oz. LURE EYES sunglasses at the UBCS.  Why?  Because I believe they should have a pair.  They saved me from many headaches and I tell everyone about them and I get nothing from the company.

Gambler, well I almost freaked out when I discovered they weren't making my worm weights, that I use, anymore.  I was so intense that I put up a post here in the classified section.  Now that I have some, I use them.    When I was at the UBCS I brought my own GAMBLER worm weights and never used my partners, not because they didn't allow me to, but because I have so much confidence in the Gambler weights. 

And I just got 2 packs of the NEW Gambler Ratlin' worm weights in the mail and I am really STOKED now. ;D

Anyhow..........I am not sponsored by either of the above comoanies but feel enthusiam and sincerity are essential in promoting a product you believe in.   

Why?  Because people can "sense" if you are not sincere.

I'm gaining that enthusiasm for micromunchtackle (earthworm77 tackle) after catching my 3.1 largemouth on his roadkill tube jig (see my gallery).  That is the first bass I have ever caught on a tube of any sort.

This topic is covering the essential elements of sponsorship that are the most important!!  Way to go guys! ~c~

Rickoos

Thanks Earthworm & FFF,

I understand what you were saying.
I think my fingers over ran my mind and what I typed really wasn't what I was trying to say. I don't have the deep southern drawl or the cajun drawl either, but I have been to different clubs were I was the one that was singled out for speaking & sounding funny to them. But like you said, in the long run if you do your job and entertain them at the same time, you can win them over to your side.
If you can prove to them that you believe in your product & invite them to see for theirselves, most of the time you go away with a win-win deal......

Ricky
sponsors:
American Bass Angler Pro Staff, R & M Tackle, K & M Custom Rods, Secret Weapon Lures,Vicious Fishing Tournament Team, Driftwood Lures,  Fish Hedz/Save Phace,

dave the dope man

Quote from: Fishaholic on June 30, 2005, 01:10:53 AM
My take on all this stuff is short and sweet, because I believe that morality, ethics and the willingness to promote someone else's product 110% is the lion's share of the game.  ...after all, for as much as they have to gain, they have just as much to lose by sponsoring someone without morals and ethics... 
I believe some people collect sponsors much the same way as a boy scout collecing badges...to some there's meaning to the whole scheme of things, and to others it's just a game to prove that they have more feathers in their cap than the other guy/gal.

I think that Fish has found the sweet spot......Ethics/.......Dave ~c~

Siggy by DundeeMike