Promoting yourself to sponsors.

Started by OHbassaholic, December 07, 2005, 09:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OHbassaholic

This is something that seems to come up quite often.  I thought I would kick off a thread on this topic and see what kind of tips our members would like to share with others.

It doesn't seem to be the big names that are getting the job done any more.  Too many of our favorite pros come across as having been paid off to represent or even endorse sponsor products.  Many companies are coming to the conclusion that word of mouth, especially the words of a person others feel they can trust, is what has been getting customers to swing to new products.  What can you do to promote yourself to the growing number of potential sponsors?

It is a known fact that sponsors are looking at presentation and how much exposure an individual can offer.  The more people who hear about a product and the number of times they hear about it, the more likely they are to consider the product when it comes time to purchase.

We can all offer ourselves up as billboards to sport the logos of our sponsors everywhere we go.  We can even use the products and let others know how good they are and give our recommendations.  But where is the highest level of exposure of today's sport fishing industry?

Since you are here on UltimateBass.com, you probably already have a good idea.  The internet and specifically the fishing forums is where many people get their tips as to what products are working for others at the same level or slightly higher level of expertise.  As we get to know each other out here in cyberspace, we learn to respect each other's views and learn from one another.  I don't know about you, but I would rather take a tip from someone I know and trust right here than run out to get the lure mentioned during one of those fishing shows on TV.

The sponsoring companies have figured this out as well.  The grass-roots angler is being sought after to add to their pro-staff stables.  As such, where are they looking for these staffers?  Right here!  What can you do to get their attention?  Post count and content will be looked at for sure.  Another way of grabbing their attention is by getting your articles published.

With these things in mind, it is to your own benefit to let others know about this site.  By increasing the member base you also increase the potential customer base for your sponsors.  I do this by word of mouth, having the site addy on my business card that I hand out to people, wearing apparel with the site logo, and I have the logo on my vehicle and it will soon be on my boat as well.

Now remember, membership numbers, post count and content, along with published articles are some of the things potential sponsors are looking for so increase all of these to Promote Yourself to Sponsors.

fishforfree

Very, very good points Blaise!!! 

In  my other e-book - How To Find Prospects Using Little or NO Money www.getmorebiznow.com I talk about this point - people do business with people they know, like and trust. 

A personal recommendation from a good friend will more than likely get me to try a product because I trust him/her, more than an ad I see for the first time will.

Fishing forums are a great place to find good information, you're right, because members and non-members can see what others have to say, about a product, without any selling pressure being inflicted on them.  It really is a great way for sponsors to make new sales.  The only challenge is -it's very difficult to track in most  cases.

I would also like to add this point.  I feel sponsors should be more involved on forums, not to sell, but to contribute as an angler.  This helps to build trust with the site visitors and helps increase the chances for new sales, because the angler can get the sense that the sponsor is not distant, but is real and can be contacted if problems arise.  It allows them to kinda shake hands, if you will, with potential customers .  I think you'll see more and more companies doing this type of grass-roots marketing in the future.

Again, great points Blaise!!!! ~c~

Triple F

Pferox

Another selling point I might interject if I may, from experience, is location.
As an example, I park my truck in front of my house which is a heavily traveled road, on one of my trucks I had a big Penn sticker on the back which was constantly visible from the road.
You would be amazed at the number of people who would stop and ask me about Penn reels when I was outside workin around the house.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

OHbassaholic

You aren't kidding.  I park my van in the most visible spot possible when I go to work.  I have folks asking all the time if that is my vehicle out in the lot.  At that point, it gives me an opening to tell them about my sponsorships and I hand them one of my cards.

This leads in to another point I want to bring up in this thread.  Business cards are something people are used to being handed now days.  Several times a week I will ask a customer if I have already given them one of my cards and I laugh when they produce it from their wallet or purse.  With the amount of information I have on that card, it seems to make them feel that it is too important to throw away. 

On my business cards, I have all sponsors and affiliations listed.  As of right now, it lists out my job title at the Dick's Sporting Goods store, each of my sponsors, and each fishing site where I am active.  Some of my friends and fishing buddies think it's funny that I go to this extent but I can tell you that it definately pays off when I can tell a potential sponsor that I will add them to my business card.  Another potent point is that I am able to tell them that I hand out over 100 a month.  Every piece of information on that card compliments and validates each other.  Another point is that even when I give the card to someone, let's say in this case I just promoted UltimateBass.com to them, all the other information is on that card as well.  They may get interested in checking out FishForFree, Gambler Lures, B&D Custom Lures, or Fish Hedz just because they are listed on the card.

This leads me into the last point about my cards.  On the front of the card is the names of my sponsors and affiliations.  On the back, I have each site addy listed with information about what the product or service is they provide.  Here are a few:
BandDCustomLures.com - Custom spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and flipping jigs
FishForFree.com - How to get sponsored manual
FishHedz.net - protective masks with the angler in mind
Gambler-Bang.com - new innovations in soft plastics and weights

fishforfree

Now, that's what I call marketing your sponsors.

Absolutley brilliant Blaise! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Sponsorship is all about marketing anymore - not how many fish you can catch.

Take note boys and girls. ~sun

Triple F

Lipripper

OHIO good job and you must have a great big card by now to put all that info on there.  ~c~ ~c~ ;D I don't have a cards but then again I don't have any sponsors either  ;D I don't fish tournments but for those of ya'll who do you need to advertise and Ohio puting the links for your sponsors in you banner area is good and if I had any sponsors like FFF said Sponsorship is all about marketing anymore - not how many fish you can catch. You better belive I would have them listed there and with all the posting I do here and on the NAFC BB you better belive I would use that as a selling point when trying to get a sponsor to look my way. ;D I'm going to make some UB Cards we have here just to advertise our home here and pass them out everywhere I go just to help spread the word. Well that's enought said once I get started I could go on and on but it's time for me to go home anyways  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

FiveAlive

What about creating a website for yourself....would you recommend that?
Chasin' the dream.

OHbassaholic

I believe that can be a plus as well.  It's one more tool to use for promoting your sponsors.

fishforfree

I recommend it.   ~c~

It's just another avenue you can use to help promote your sponsors!!!

Lipripper

FiveAlive exposure that's the name of th egame the more you can get your sponsors name out anyway you can the better they will like it.  ~c~ ~c~

FiveAlive

Might have to think about making me up a little site.
Chasin' the dream.

fishforfree

There's plenty of places you can get free web sites.

Just put free web site into your favorite search engine and you'll have more choices than you know what to do with.

I think UB has acces to one called BraveNet.  If you look in resources somewhere on the front page you can do it through Ultimatebass.

PM Lauire if you have any troubles.

Scott

FiveAlive

Chasin' the dream.

OHbassaholic

A quick little update on the business card issue.  Yesterday, I had a customer ask for some extra cards.  He had passed mine on to another person who was interested in fishing forum addys.  He figures by having a few of my cards he won't be without again. 

People are a trip!

Kal-Kevin

OHbassaholic can you scan your card and post it here it, might  be nice for some of the newer people to see what one should look like! I would also be happy to see how one is done right!

Thanks

OHbassaholic

I've had a scanner for over a year but never have learned to use it yet.  I'll see what I can do.

earthworm77

Guys this game is all about marketability. Any sponsor who is making a determination about adding a staffer takes this into consideration. If you do it correctly and don't burn bridges, you can go a long way despite not being a pro.
Micro Munch Tackle

I am my own man.

BandDCustomLures

Scanning OH's card would be hard . It's now a 4x8 sheet of plywood!

OH was the 2nd. person added to our Pro Staff  and he approched it in a manner I don't think he even noticed was a great way to obtain a Sposorship.

Oh has worked his way up to a cordinators postion with us and he has a great head on his shoulders so listen and learn.

And OH show us that card!!!

Lipripper

Ya OHIO you figure out how to use that scanner yet  ;) ;D

Bman

Well I don't want to steal OH's moment to shine but here is my old one!  Sorry OH!

Don't worry UB you are on the new ones!

Bman

BandDCustomLures

Looks good BMAN! But that pic? huhuh  . just kiddin!

fishforfree

Suhweeeeeeeeeet lookin' card Bman!!

Nice job ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Lipripper

Looking good Bman  ~c~ ~c~  Not wanting to sound like I don't know nothing but I don't  :roll2: :roll2: This is a busness card you pass out right and with the more you get on them the smaller the print would have to be and harder to read so do you just make the cards bigger  :-\

Bman

Lipripper that is a good question!  Yes you are right about space and the card above is max out.  Bigger cards, now that's an idea! :shocking:  FFF had advised me in the beginning of search for sponsorships, that a web page is important.  For my 2006 card I  may refer to my web page for some of the sponsors.  Do to my injury I am not supposed to compete(no rough boat rides).  This limited the about of exposure during tournaments however it has given an opportunity to be at weighins without the tournament pressure being a factor.  My goal is to change my card a round a little to keep my credibility as tournament fisherman even though I am not fishing in that tournament.  A new year and a new challenge makes this a real exciting industry to be involved.

The best way to "Promoting yourself to sponsors." is to promote their products!!!!!

Bman

reddman

Will one of you guys send me a business card?  Ive read this post and others that you guys are talking about this type of exposure.  Id like to see one if possible.  A email will do also.

Reddman

OHbassaholic

Quote from: Bman on January 13, 2006, 10:50:51 PM
Well I don't want to steal OH's moment to shine but here is my old one!  Sorry OH!
Bman

No worries.  The card looks fantastic, Brian!
Do you make your own?  I keep mine simple so I can print them out at home and also make changes as I need to.  I only print out 10 at a time.  I've gotten tired of throwing away hundreds of cards every time I make a change.  Just bought a cheap software package, good printer and I was all set.  ~shade

OHbassaholic

Quote from: Lipripper on January 14, 2006, 06:34:16 PM
Looking good Bman  ~c~ ~c~  Not wanting to sound like I don't know nothing but I don't  :roll2: :roll2: This is a busness card you pass out right and with the more you get on them the smaller the print would have to be and harder to read so do you just make the cards bigger  :-\

I guess I would have to leave off a pic of myself just because it would take up WAY too much space. (same as I do)  lo  But, I'm back to working on that...

If you haven't tried it yet, Bman, go with using the back of the card as well.  :-*  It serves well for listing site addys and such.  The front is the best place for the logos if you wish to use them.  For now, I believe I'll stay with having the logos on my shirts, vehicle and boat.  That reminds me that I need to order what I'll need for the boat since this will be it's first year as my flagship.