Seadek and other carpet alternatives

Started by MarkAmerica, November 21, 2021, 08:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAmerica

As I get toward the great carpet project, one of the things I've been considering is going with one of the various non-carpet options in the cockpit area. The carpet there always looks like heck, it's the first place to find mildew, and it seems like when it gets wet out on the lake, it stays wet a lot longer than any of the rest of the boat.  I've seen a number of the new models out there sporting one of these products in the cockpit, and so as I begin to think about the upcoming project, I want to consider this.

Do any of you have experience with any of these products, and if so, what can you tell me about durability by brand/type?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Mark

FD

Seadek all the way for me.  Almost 2 years with mine and it has performed better than expected.

FDx Custom Rods
Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment
CPF Lures

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

coldfront

the only negative I've heard about seadeck is that you need to be careful if using a powerwasher...
that being said, I have been 'putting my boat away wet' since 2013... but have aluminum decking... and it goes into my garage so I have the shop fan on circulating to help keep air moving.
not sure I'd be so happy if I kept it outside and with the cover on...

MarkAmerica

FD,

Thanks! Anybody have any experience installing it?

Coldfront,

My boat generally sits outside with the cover on. That said, when I come off the lake, I usually let it air out a day before covering it, usually the first several hours with the boxes all open. I've heard you should use a power washer, and something I've seen from a couple of users were complaints about some mild staining.

One of the others I'm considering is called Hydro-Turf. I think it's the same/similar that Caymas is offering in their boats' cockpits. I like the available crosshatch pattern because I think it will drain well.

Still thinking about it, looking for direct user/installer feedback.

I definitely think it's a way cleaner look.

Thanks!

Mark

D.W. Verts

I chose Seadek for my tiny bass boat project- I would never do or re-do a boat with carpet again. I hope to finally get it installed in the next dew weeks.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

FD

Quote from: MarkAmerica on November 22, 2021, 08:48:01 AM
FD,

Thanks! Anybody have any experience installing it?

Coldfront,

My boat generally sits outside with the cover on. That said, when I come off the lake, I usually let it air out a day before covering it, usually the first several hours with the boxes all open. I've heard you should use a power washer, and something I've seen from a couple of users were complaints about some mild staining.

One of the others I'm considering is called Hydro-Turf. I think it's the same/similar that Caymas is offering in their boats' cockpits. I like the available crosshatch pattern because I think it will drain well.

Still thinking about it, looking for direct user/installer feedback.

I definitely think it's a way cleaner look.

Thanks!

Mark
It is peel and stick.  And cleanup is a piece of cake.  I have the snow camo and have no problem keeping it clean.  A little dawn dishwashing detergent and a brush and it  goes back to looking new in a few minutes.  Exactly as I was told it would.

Those that complained about staining and pressure washer issues are the same morons who pressure wash the paint off their cars and houses.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

MarkAmerica

Dale,

Thanks, I may wind up going this way for the cockpit area. I think I still want carpet on the deck, but I want to pad it. Any suggestions on good padding?

FD,

Yeah, I looked at your build thread again. It looks reasonably simple. The big thing for me is durability. This is a project I don't want to have to re-visit any time soon once I get down to it.  It's good to know so long as I don't take a pressure washer to it, I'll be fine. Thanks!

Mark

D.W. Verts

The company that built the padding that we used back in my bass boat selling days was bought out and I disremember what that company is called, but I think West Marine had some last year. If I was to buy a brand new bass boat tomorrow (not happening) or refurbish an older rig like Lee did (way more likely) I will use SeaDek on EVERYTHING. Carpet just doesn't make any sense to me.

Dale

D.W. Verts

coldfront

talked to a dealer yesterday about seadeck ... one of the things he mentioned was that boats can tend to look 'unfinished'.
carpet typically wraps around the hatches, while seadeck just sits on top.  in his words, the 'best' fit/finish boats had 'slightly larger' lids so the channel gaps were not noticeable.
hadn't thought about that.

MarkAmerica

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 23, 2021, 07:45:39 PM
The company that built the padding that we used back in my bass boat selling days was bought out and I disremember what that company is called, but I think West Marine had some last year. If I was to buy a brand new bass boat tomorrow (not happening) or refurbish an older rig like Lee did (way more likely) I will use SeaDek on EVERYTHING. Carpet just doesn't make any sense to me.
Dale

Dale,
Coldfront mentions my concern with that. Using Seadek on the lids leaves a gap between all the boxes, and it's not particularly appealing(to me.)  Thanks for the padding link. I'm definitely going to do something like that, if not that padding precisely.

Coldfront,
You nailed my primary concern with Seadek other than in the cockpit area. Everywhere else, the gaps between lids on boxes will be visible with Seadek. I think if I were going to try it, I'd add metal to my lids around the edges, but that still doesn't address the hinge line, which I'd have to look at. The other thing is I don't know that you can run any padding under Seadek. I definitely want to pad the deck.

Thanks all!

Mark

D.W. Verts

Huh. I'm doing a 15' Jon Boat. I'll like those gaps! Good luck with your choice Mark.

Dale

MarkAmerica

Dale, thanks, when I get down to it, I'll need all the luck I can muster. I do okay with fix-em-ups, but this is going to be a project. I'm still looking at options, and it's going to be a bit before I tear into it. I've watched a few videos in the past on taking off old carpet, and getting the old glue off looks like "fun." We'll see.

Thanks!

Mark

FD

This is it 2 1/2 years later.  I like the look and it sure makes it easy to keep clean.

FDx Custom Rods
CPF Lures

D.W. Verts

And it's COOL (both ways). And CLEAN. And DRY. And no more SMELL. And it doesn't grow all those green little science experiments.

Dale

MarkAmerica

FD,

I continue to think that yours is one of the nicest jobs I've seen with this type of flooring. The fact that the base color of your flooring matches the underlying gelcoat color certainly helps in my view. It's one of the boats that I keep going back to as the argument for doing the Seadek everywhere.

How does it compare, standing on it all day, with padded carpet?

Quote from: FD on November 26, 2021, 06:01:35 AM
This is it 2 1/2 years later.  I like the look and it sure makes it easy to keep clean.

Dale, it's certainly as cool to look at as anything I've seen that's been done this way.

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 26, 2021, 07:18:35 AM
And it's COOL (both ways). And CLEAN. And DRY. And no more SMELL. And it doesn't grow all those green little science experiments.

Dale

Thanks!

Mark

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: MarkAmerica on November 26, 2021, 10:45:58 AM
FD,

I continue to think that yours is one of the nicest jobs I've seen with this type of flooring. The fact that the base color of your flooring matches the underlying gelcoat color certainly helps in my view. It's one of the boats that I keep going back to as the argument for doing the Seadek everywhere.

How does it compare, standing on it all day, with padded carpet?

Quote from: FD on November 26, 2021, 06:01:35 AM

Dale, it's certainly as cool to look at as anything I've seen that's been done this way.

Quote from: D.W. Verts on November 26, 2021, 07:18:35 AM

Dale

Thanks!

Mark

I have fished off FD Triton several times since the make over. That Sea-Dek is something else. As far as standing for long periods of time, no issues. The padding is plenty. I really like how it keeps cool, during our HOT Summers.

MarkAmerica

Capt BassinLou,

Yes, I could definitely see where FD's would be nice and cool.

One of the things I saw, looking around at some boats, was how BassCat did one of the new Puma STS demo models. This is interesting to me, because it uses carpet around the edges (and gets rid of that gap) while making the majority of the deck a PVC type of flooring. Take a look:

And here:

To me, this looks really sharp. My only concern with this would be at the seams between the carpet and the PVC flooring. I wonder how durable the carpet edge is going to be here. New, it looks great. Bass Cat sure builds a pretty boat.

Thoughts on this arrangement?

Thanks!

Mark

Capt. BassinLou

That does look pretty sharp. Wonder if the design was intended for looks or for sound dampening of the lids.  Or both.

MarkAmerica

Capt BassinLou,

Sound dampening makes sense. Thinking about that, I wonder about the seals. The seals use a compression bulb just like on my Triton, and I wonder if having the carpet create some friction to slow down the hatches as you close them helps to preserve the seals. I'm wondering if repeatedly dropping the hatches on the seals would matter, or if the gas lifting rod takes care of that on its own. Whatever the reasoning, it certainly is an attractive approach.

Mark

D.W. Verts

Rick shore does build a purty boat.

Dale

MarkAmerica

Dale,

Yep. The more I look at the Bass Cats, the more I'm smitten with them. Sadly, I'll never afford one, but that doesn't mean a man can't have dreams.

Mark

coldfront

bass cat does have a rep for quality build and for everything else.  the impression I get is that most basscat owners will give it up only when pried from their cold, dead fingers.

Oldfart9999

Looking at that makes me wonder I'm still drooling over the Ranger 482, some dreams just don't die.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

MarkAmerica

Coldfront,

Yes, so I've gathered. I don't like everything I see in every boat they make, but all of them have lots of nice features and apparently lots of customer loyalty.

Oldfart9999,

Yep, totally understand that. Truth is, I didn't think I'd ever have ANY bassboat, so I should save my drooling for my own. Grass is always greener, I guess...

Mark