On Water Test Results

Started by Bud Kennedy, May 17, 2022, 11:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Today was the day to have a shake down cruise of the Ranger.  I have been doing a bunch of stuff to the motor for some time now but had not been able to remove the motor gremlin. 

I have to tell you that everything was absolutely perfect during the test run today.  The motor ran very smoothly and was as powerful as it had ever been.  I tested every condition I could think of from long idle runs to long on plane runs.  There were no misfires or overloading at all.  Motor ran just like a new one.  I am not a speed guy but I did bump it up to 60 for just a short run andit got there with ease but I doubt there was much more left.  I usually am a 30 to 40 mph guy anyway and don't care how fast it goes.  As always the motor starts easily and maintains an idle rpm of 1000 and is very smooth.  Idle with the   prop engaged the idle was at 750 rpm.  The hole shot is spectacular and it just jumps out of the hole is just seconds.  As far as motor performance it looks like the problem may be solved.  I credit the last repair where I changed the spark plug wires as the thing that seems to have done the trick.  The old wires were carbon based and were quite old causing one cylinder not to perform well.  Not so since the wires have been upgraded.

The final thing is that this is the first run with the new cable steering.  The steering is a sea star NFB system that included new cables, pinion and helm.  It feels a bit stiff but is does eliminate the torque steer that I experienced in the past.  It will just take some time to get used to I guess.  Bottom line it works very nicely but alas not as nice as hydraulic.

OK so this is my report and at this moment I am thrilled with the results after all this time.  Also knowing I did all the work myself adds another layer of satisfaction to the whole deal.

Eric-Maine

Awesome news.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

FD

That's awesome Bud!

Sent from the very edge of civilization...where I belong

Arti-FISH-ial Entertainment Guide Service
FDx Custom Rods                                   SwampCat Boat Works

J.W.

Good deal! The steering will probably settle in and feel right after some use. Running those steering cables on some boats can be a real pain in the rear!

Donald Garner

Bud, tks for the update.  Glad to hear that you FINALLY had an outing and there weren't any issues. 

Good job on making all the repairs yourself also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

big g

It was a struggle and I'm happy for you.  I hope this gives you years of trouble free service!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Princeton_Man

Great news Bud! Glad you finally have her back performing like she should.  ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Good deal Bud!!! Hope it stays that way for as long as you're able to run it!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Capt. BassinLou

Great to hear Bud. You have been dealing with several issues on the boat, happy to hear they have been worked out. Kudos for your hard work and persistence.  ~c~