The Gloria Jean

Started by FlatsNBay, September 17, 2023, 03:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Growing up in Florida, I've been around boats my entire life. My first boat was a 10' Sears jonboat with a 3 HP Johnson outboard. That was until my buddy found us a "real boat".

My buddy found an elderly neighbor who's husband passed away and she had an old boat sitting in her back yard. It wasn't just any old boat, it had giant red letters on the port and starboard side of the bow that read "Gloria Jean". She was a beauty, 16' long with a console and 50 HP Evinrude. For $200 we were in business!

There was only one problem, neither of us were old enough to drive and our parents weren't the outdoor type so we had no trailer hitch.

My buddy came up with an ingenious idea. We put the tongue of the trailer on a little red wagon and we pushed the boat down the street a quarter mile to a city park at the waters edge of a big saltwater canal system in south Florida. Boy the looks we got from passing motorists!

Once at the park, we pushed the boat as far as we could before the bank began to decline into the water. My buddy then disconnected the winch cable from the boat, then fastened the bow of the boat securely to the trailer with a heavy rope. Next we fastened the winch cable to a nearby tree and slowly lowered the boat into the water by back reeling the winch cable while pushing the boat into the water. Ingenious!

When we returned, we just did the reverse process and we winched the trailer up the embankment until we were on level ground.

The Gloria Jean opened us up to a world of snook and tarpon fishing in the canals of South Florida. Oh, the memories!

Capt. BassinLou

Cool story, thank you for sharing Flat's

Oldfart9999

What ever it takes, a buddy and I used to ride our bikes from Auburn to Skaneateles Lake to fish, sometines the shorter trip to Owasco Lake.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

Great read! The lengths and struggles we would go through as young men to go fishing...  ~c~  ~c~  lost on todays youth...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Flats, that was a cool story there  ~shade     Tks for sharing it with us ;) 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

Wow, what a great story! I don't know how I missed this one but it was a great read.

Thanks for sharing it with us Steve.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire