Navionis Map update problem

Started by Mike Cork, July 17, 2012, 02:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Never had a problem updating my maps from navionics. However all day today, I get to within 30 mb of getting complete and it stops responding?

Any thoughts. I've done everything I can think of short of throwing my laptop out the window.

Tried updating the App and it said I had the latest version (which I verified).
Tried turning the laptop off and starting over.
Tried turning off my virus protection as it can hang things up occasionally.
I have two chips, east and south, for some reason it always updates east first (alphabetical I'm sure) so I put the east chip in just in case it was trying to update the chip?

I need some help?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

And now when I try to open the map just to look at it on the laptop it jumps right into down load and runs up to the 97 percent complete and when I try to move the map it says not responding and shuts down?

I'm at a loss.

Cork's Reel Service

Falcon104

What kind of reader are you using?? I use the one that came with my chip. No problems to date.

Mike Cork

I don't use a reader, simply plug it into the lap top.

In frustration I uninstalled everything Lowrance on the lap top and went back and downloaded and re-installed and everything worked like a champ.

All I can figure is I got a corrupt piece in the first attempt and it blocked everything up like a brick of cheese on a  bad buritto

Cork's Reel Service

Flyswatter

Mike, I've been there.  Curious are you downloading during peak hours?

Mike Cork

I was and on a non secure free wifi server. Now my antivirus still scans but the server didn't. So I don't know exactly what happened. But uninstalled everything and re downloaded later in the evening and all is good.

Cork's Reel Service

bassn1

Had the same problem last week.  ~b~  Had to reinstall Navionics for it to work.  No idea why.  :-\ But I am up and running again.   8)

"Success is a Journey. Not a destination".

Richnavionics

Guys,

If you ever run into problems with this, don't hesitate to email me directly.
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]
I can usually walk you through these issues.
Rich

BassBUFF

Flyswatter

Quote from: Richnavionics on July 23, 2012, 09:45:13 PM
Guys,

If you ever run into problems with this, don't hesitate to email me directly.
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]
I can usually walk you through these issues.
Rich

Nice to see more Navionics support here on UB.

Mike Cork

Thank you for the support Rich. That was the first issue I've ever had and since we're dealing with computers, I figure that's pretty good for as long as I've been using navionics ~c~

I'll be sure to contact you in the future should something come up.

Cork's Reel Service

GRR884

Stupid Question  ~b~

You can update your SD chips online? My current Premium East chip is a 2010.

Mike Cork

humm I don't know if you can update versions?

My chips are a year old and I can "update" the data on them. I'm not sure about your version but this would be a great question for Rich to answer if he swings back by.

Cork's Reel Service

Wayne P.

Read the update information on the Navionics web site. If your card was made after a certain date, then yes you can buy the update for it. It has to have a microSD card size large enough for the data.
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Flyswatter

Already emailed Rich and he has been very helpful with my Mac version of Navionics PC App .  Great resource Mac users. 

Does anyone know if you can display the your waypoints "names" on the PC App Mapping software?  All I see are the push pins for the waypoints.

Quote from: Flyswatter on July 23, 2012, 11:58:50 PM
Nice to see more Navionics support here on UB.

Mike Cork

Haven't figured that out myself. You can click on the pin to see your information but nothing until then just the pin. It may be a setting somewhere I haven't found yet?

Cork's Reel Service

Richnavionics

Quote from: GRR884 on July 24, 2012, 02:56:59 PM
Stupid Question  ~b~

You can update your SD chips online? My current Premium East chip is a 2010.
only way of telling is to insert your chip into any card reader for your computer. You will see a link to tell you if it is too old to update online. If it is too old, come January we will have a fix for this. Should cost only $99 to update, but dont quote me on that yet.

Richnavionics

If you have a chart pre-2010, Navionics just released a new way to update. You simply purchase a new product called NavionicsUpdates. For $99, you get an encoded chip and card reader in the box. then you go home, insert the chip into the computer, go onto Navionics.com and click on 'downloads'. you will need your old chart to do this. The new chip is where you will download any chart area within the US and Canada. Doesn't matter if it is saltwater, freshwater, Great Lakes, sounds, rivers, etc. You combine both the Gold coastal data and the inland lakes from HotMaps. http://www.navionics.com/en/navionicsupdates-1.

KrzCooter

Yep, Richnavionics is dead on. I bought my yearly Platinum+ card in July 2010 and made sure it was the newest card by asking the clerk at BP since I heard they were doing a new card with online updates. The clerk said it was the new 2010 version. Downloadable updates was new and the card packaging did not say anything but I figured it was the newest card. Then a year later I tried buying the update plan and updating the card but I found out the card wasn't compatible. Basically the guy sold me the 2009 model and told me it was 2010. Lol. I ended  buying 2009 twice. Made me wonder how many other years I thought I was buying the newest card but getting the old model. I never bothered checking version info, just always took the clerks word that it was the new model. Anyway, downloadable updates is well worth it if u fish a lot. Especially now that many anglers are sharing there logs to create more accurate maps.  I update all mine regularly. Just download the update utility and try your card. If. Is an old one it will tell you this card can not be updated.

Alex D. Allen

What version are you using? so confusing between Navionics Hotmaps Platinum vs. Navionics Hotmaps Premium, which one should I buy?

Wayne P.

Quote from: Alex D. Allen on April 24, 2018, 02:57:02 AM
What version are you using? so confusing between Navionics Hotmaps Platinum vs. Navionics Hotmaps Premium, which one should I buy?

Navionics has two maps layers.
Nautical Charts is Navionics data--they own the data.
Sonar Charts is HD mapping created from unit owner sonar logs--the data is free and shared.

All current products have both map layers.

The Hotmaps Premium Region cards were discontinued at the end of 2015. They had only Nautical Charts.
That has since been replaced by the Navionics+ Region cards.

Another Navionics+ product is Large. That has all the maps for the US and Canada.

Then there is Navionics Platinum Region regional cards. They have the same maps as Navionics+ Region cards, and have Satellite Overlay, 3D, and port photos.

There is also Navionics Update. That is the discount version of Navionics+ Large and to qualify for the discount, you have to own a map card to activate the Update card so it becomes a Navionics+ product.
You end up with two map cards.

For worldwide map coverage, there is Navionics Platinum Plus. Those are available in global regions.

I have Hotmaps Premium, Navionics+, Navionics+ Large, and Navionics Hotmaps Platinum cards.
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

Alex D. Allen

Quote from: Wayne P. on April 24, 2018, 11:27:59 AM
Navionics has two maps layers.
Nautical Charts is Navionics data--they own the data.
Sonar Charts is HD mapping created from unit owner sonar logs--the data is free and shared.

All current products have both map layers.

The Hotmaps Premium Region cards were discontinued at the end of 2015. They had only Nautical Charts.
That has since been replaced by the Navionics+ Region cards.

Another Navionics+ product is Large. That has all the maps for the US and Canada.

Then there is Navionics Platinum Region regional cards. They have the same maps as Navionics+ Region cards, and have Satellite Overlay, 3D, and port photos.

There is also Navionics Update. That is the discount version of Navionics+ Large and to quality for the discount, you have to own a map card to activate the Update card so it becomes a Navionics+ product.
You end up with two map cards.

For worldwide map coverage, there is Navionics Platinum Plus. Those are available in global regions.

I have Hotmaps Premium, Navionics+, Navionics+ Large, and Navionics Hotmaps Platinum cards.

Thanks for your advice. I think I will go with Navionics Platinum Plus and Hotmaps Platinum cards.