Entry reels

Started by duke13372, August 14, 2012, 06:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duke13372

I don't consider a reel unless it has an aluminum frame.  So I immediately eliminate the low end products.  I'm at an age now that I have many good reels but I'm not going to invest a whole lot of money in equipment.  When I was younger I would buy closer to the top of the line.  There are many that are on the other end of the spectrum that are buying as starting fishermen.  I have purchased several reels lately that I would consider entry level reels.  Of course as I just mentioned the first requirement is an aluminum frame.  I have been disappointed by some of these reels.  However as much as I usually hate house brands, the Bass Pro reels have been a surprise.  I see why so many people are buying the "Pro Qualifier".  On sale these reels can be picked up for around $80.  If you visit Bass Pro there are always clearance on models too.  If you are just starting out and don't yet want to invest in higher priced offerings (you will eventually), I'd look at the Pro Qualifier.

DaveP63

Join Bass Unlimited !

WVOIFVET

I have a plastic frame right now, Pinnacle Platinum Plus.  What is the disadvantages of a plastic frame, other than breakage?  I have had something break in mine, but that was cuz of stupidity trying to force the handle forward when it was seizing up, once I took it apart and super glued it back on (integrity loss there Im sure) but it seems to be just fine.  At what point is the integrity of a plastic frame (unmodified) an issue?

Mike Cork

Today's carbon fiber (plastic) frames are not near as bad as yesteryears, but wear and warpage were the issue. It didn't take long for the spool alignment to become very loose. Which hinders casting distance and can create more backlashes. Then as you pointed out they break easier.

I am a die hard Shimano fan. They fit my hand and I'm very pleased with the performance I get out of them. That said, duke13372, is on the money IMO about the BPS Pro Qualifier. These reals have come a long way in performance and durability in the last few years. The only problem with them is they don't have spare parts for long. Reels do break, internal pieces are small and wear. So in time you're going to need a part or two. BPS is the worst about not having parts available any longer. I guess it's a ruse to get you to buy the new line. Again that said, I've see these reels take a serious beating and keep on winding.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

jeffo21

I really like the H20 express mettle reels, you cant get parts for them but you can return them to the store and they will swap the reel for you.

Mike Cork

Quote from: jeffo21 on August 14, 2012, 10:16:58 AM
I really like the H20 express mettle reels, you cant get parts for them but you can return them to the store and they will swap the reel for you.

Pro Reel, our resident repair expert, gave the H2O Mettle high remarks as well. In a thread around here somewhere he said that he was highly impressed with the reel at it's price range. :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

DaveP63

Quote from: WVOIFVET on August 14, 2012, 09:19:26 AM
I have a plastic frame right now, Pinnacle Platinum Plus.  What is the disadvantages of a plastic frame, other than breakage?  I have had something break in mine, but that was cuz of stupidity trying to force the handle forward when it was seizing up, once I took it apart and super glued it back on (integrity loss there Im sure) but it seems to be just fine.  At what point is the integrity of a plastic frame (unmodified) an issue?

I used all "plastic" framed reels up until a couple of years ago. Everything from the cheap end of the scale to the expensive end.  The more expensive ones last longest, as you would expect. I got great service out of it (Pfleuger), casted fine, landed plenty of good fish up to about 5 lbs. I didn't experience any problems with it until one day the gears became mis-aligned and it got hard to reel and then basically locked up. At that point it was about 2.5 years old, so I felt I had gotten my money's worth out of it. I began replacing them with aluminum framed reels at that time and am down to one last ditch spare that is a graphite frame.
Join Bass Unlimited !

duke13372

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 14, 2012, 09:52:57 AM
The only problem with them is they don't have spare parts for long. Reels do break, internal pieces are small and wear. So in time you're going to need a part or two. BPS is the worst about not having parts available any longer. I guess it's a ruse to get you to buy the new line.

I'm pretty sure the Pro Qualifier parts are easily available and are interchangeable with another manufacturer's product. 

Pferox

I agree, that is a very nice reel for the price. It can be had when on sale for $30, I don't feel bad dunking it in the salt. It is still running fine since Father's Day this year, and I have given it a rough workout since then.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Ronnied38

Personally I'd take a lews reel. The performance of them for the Money I would say is unbeatable.

duke13372

Lew's $79 reel is a graphite frame so that leaves the Speed Spool which is the same MSRP as the Pro Qualifier.  The Lew's reel also looks very similar to the Abu Revo line of reels.  Don't know exactly if the parts interchange. Kevin would know.  That would be the big question.  If you use the left hand reels there are also more gear offerings for the Pro Qualifier.  I was also surprised when I didn't see the Lew's offered on Bass Pro's web site.  The Lews might be a good reel but the Pro Qualifier can be ordered quickly, more offerings, Bass Pro Customer Service, and on sale a tremendous buy.

Ronnied38

Yeah I use the speed spool I think there like 100 bucks now been a while since I bought one

Canesfan

I've also wondered why Bass Pro doesn't sell Lew's but my guess is that the "Founder"/owner of the "new" Lews is a former BPS long timer so maybe there was some bad blood when he left.

They also don't sell Okuma either that I know of.

duke13372

Quote from: Canesfan on August 15, 2012, 02:17:32 PM
I've also wondered why Bass Pro doesn't sell Lew's but my guess is that the "Founder"/owner of the "new" Lews is a former BPS long timer so maybe there was some bad blood when he left.

If you're involved with merchandise and have an inside knowledge of the products, you have inside sources on the production of products including the Pro Qualifier.  Apparently the original Lews was built in Japan in partnership with Shimano.  Who knows what partnerships that Reeves has developed in his years with Bass Pro. 

pondboss

Totally agree! I own 8 of these reels and they are great.  Have had my first one for a couple of years and with the occasional spray of reel magic it's as smooth as it was the day I bought it.  They have been dunked in the water on hot days wading the flats and for $50 regular everyday price and sale $25-30 it's hard to go wrong.

The early bird may indeed get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Crankbait1007

The thing I didn't like about my Pinnacle was there was no metal friction ring. So I couldn't polish it. Also as a remember there were a couple of places where bushings were used instead of bearings

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: Canesfan on August 15, 2012, 02:17:32 PM
They also don't sell Okuma either that I know of.

Ours has Okuma's in stock, might want to take a look and ask them about it if yours don't have them,,,, thats what I did.  ;)