Spinning Reel advice

Started by TNDiver, November 27, 2012, 05:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLastRodBender

Personally i'm a shimano fan... I've also helped a couple 'newer' anglers with selecting their first spinning reel, and they've been very happy with Shimano as well... i wont dig into brand as much as i will size to help you out.

I noticed you mentioned putting it on a 'M' action rod, and with that i would suggest a 2500 series.  I've gone a 2500 mounted on a 7' MH rod that i absolutely WEAR OUT and it's awesome.  I can cast a weightless senko all day, as well as thrown on a 3/8oz bullet weight on a t-rig, and be just as comfortable.  Make sure you balance the weight out though, dont go with a 4000 unless you need it... it's going to be bottom heavy.

TNDiver

Yup, got the 2500.  Can't wait to get the rod and some 10 lb braid and then will be ready!
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Pferox

Man, that 4000 speed spool is like a feather, balances a 7 ft medium glass rod and is sweet. Casts like a dream, and holds enough 20lb fireline to do the job in the salt for sure.

I have a couple Penn reels in the 2000 and 3000 series and they seem to balance out a graphite rod better, sometimes I worry about the line capacity though.

I think you made a great choice in reels. Congratulations.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

bass1cpr

TNDiver congrats on the good deal  ~c~ your going to love that reel.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation