$200 price range

Started by jchez444, December 08, 2012, 10:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchez444

What is the top reel in the $200 cap range. I know this range prolly has the variety in brands but would like to see some opinions, especially pro reel

earldogg

Lews tournament pro, if u like shimano, chronarch. I like the lews more, but both are great.gl.

loomisguy

I'm not a big fan of the lews so I'd pick the chronarch, Actually the Daiwa lexa is real close to the chronarch and it's 139.00

-Shawn-

I would Say the Chronarch or the Okuma Helios which is an even better reel for the Price.

truth2

I would get 2 pflueger trions.
Jaw breaker

West6550

I'd get two BPS PQ's or two Lew's Speed Spools.

Bigwrench

Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Buzbait88

around 199 I really like the Pflueger Patriarch.  With that said I bought a lews tournament pro speed spool for 199 and really like it,  I've been using it for a different application(flipping vs chatterbaits) but it casts really smooth and has a really smooth retrieve.
THE VIBRASHOCK IS BACK!!
KaRu Lures
KaRu Facebook

Pro Reel

In that price range, there are several very nice reels. I'm not saying it's better than any of the others, but if you were asking what i would buy, it would be the chronarch. I just prefer the size and shape and how it feels to me over other equal quality and priced reels.

Down4ttown

Any suggestions for best reel in 300 dollar range

Pro Reel

Quote from: Down4ttown on December 09, 2012, 04:59:29 PM

Not from me because unless you have a specific interest in getting a reel thats light as a feather, then you don't need to spend anywhere close to that to get the best reels you could need.
It's my opinion that all you get for that kind of money is reels built out of lighter materials that don't cast or crank any better than reels at half the price. Some of them are super cool looking though. 8)

Down4ttown

LgMouthGambler

Another vote on teh Chronarch, cant beat it. ~shade
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

JPD0144

Quote from: jchez444 on December 08, 2012, 10:49:10 PM
What is the top reel in the $200 cap range. I know this range prolly has the variety in brands but would like to see some opinions, especially pro reel

Chronarch E or Curado E ... Proven value in performace and quality. Last for ever and hold great resale value if you choose to sell and upgrade to newer models down the road.

Chronarch 100 D (out of production MAP price was $299 great shape ones/new for around $240) or Core 100mg7 (can be had for $317 to your door)

Both reels offer more of a rigid platform to maintain smoothness and feel of better quality especially with resistance lures or when cranking in the big ones lol.

Spools are held in place by an aluminum rotor screwed into the aluminum or magnesium frames and house palming side spool bearings. This helps for less flex and better alignment. Lesser models have the bearings and spool alignment done with a graphite twist lock palming cover.
Both handle side covers are aluminum or magnesium over graphite off lesser priced models. These side plates hold your opposites spool bearing and spool shaft in more of alignment with pinion bearing as well. Again more so when under stress. Not to mention these side cover are what hold your handle drive shaft from flexing while cranking hard. So the aluminum or magnesium helps maintain the smoothness from less flex.
My opinion is less flex also equates to longer lasting reels since the tolerances are held to more exact measures. The more things move around the more the subject to wear especially under heavy cranking torque. Even if gear set is made of same material the one housed in a frame and covers that would flex less would last longer from them remaining in more precise alignment.

Most of the upper tier reels even in the Daiwa line have corrosion type bearings not offered in lesser reels. Most of the corrosion type bearings go through a coating process similar to that of say chroming a bolt carrier in an AR-15 rifle. It makes for a smoother more uniform or slicker finished product that gives a smidgen more casting and fluid feeling reel during cranking edge over standard SS bearing even if of a diff ABEC rating. No to mention you gain added protection if your a salt water angler.

The Core and Chronarch D spools weigh in around 12 grams each. A Curado/Chronarch E has a spool weight of around 17 grams (don't quote me on weights but they are close. I haven't weighed spools in a while and typing from memory lol) These lighter spools have faster start up speeds than say a 200 spool and can actually cast lighter weight or heavier weight with less effort. Yet are just as effective for long distance casting with heavier lures as reels with heavier spools do so well with. Also still have enough line capacity to make those longer reaches.

You can have 12 gram spools with the Chronarch/Curado 50E but hold less line, only pinion bearing is coated bearing on these, tolerances not held in alignment as well, and they come with a 80mm handle instead of a more leveraged 84mm handle that comes on the 100's for more comfortable retrieve with a larger array of lure weights and resistance lures. Torque is key here. (Core 100mg 100FVmg 50mg7 have handles of 80mm only the 100mg7 in Core line is 84mm long)   

In my opinion $300 reels are worth every penny. I like the refinement, some performance gains, sometimes weight savings, durability of better used components, and most top tier reels hold value in resale in case you ever want to sell them and upgrade to new models.

I say always try to buy only the top brands and highest model within that brand you can afford no matter what your price bracket is.
There are value reels out there and thats cool. My experience with fishing gear is until you tried it you won't understand ....but you REALLY get what you pay for. It may not feel like it at the counter when all brand and model reels seem to feel the same but years down the road and you look down at your front deck and what your still throwing you will understand ...

With any reel though proper care is key to getting the most out of its capabilities.

and yes a Zebco 33 can still put them in the boat and thats no lie !  ... ~roflmao   

Its all in what you want to fish and experience ... 

JPD0144

Also if your a Daiwa guy ... Zillion platforms are hard to beat for the $300 bracket.

Mike Cork

All great information here ~c~ I'm a shimano guy so there is no need to rehash all that.

But I'd recommend looking at Okuma's line as well. They have put some pretty extensive efforts into R and D and put together some fantastic products that are everything from budget to extravagant. With your budget there are some exciting options.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

JPD0144

Mike .... its called being diagnosed with tackle OCD/Itis and part tackle junkie !

Collecting, Buying/Selling , Tuning, Servicing reels (personal collection only) is a hobby of mine as much as fishing itself is.

So when im not out on the water its all about the tackle.

I use to fish and hunt ...

Years ago I sold of everything related to duck and deer hunting to now be able to afford to fish and be a tackle junkie year around ...

Funny what those lil green things we chase in the water to only most of the time just throw back can get us to do ...   lo   

coldfront

Quote from: -Shawn- on December 09, 2012, 06:15:25 AM
I would Say the Chronarch or the Okuma Helios which is an even better reel for the Price.

Shawn, when money is no issue...well, not the main issue...

what is your reel of choice?

I've stayed away from the Chronarchs..because money is an issue for me.  I'e also stayed away fro mthe Okuma's because I have a set of Curados...and no interest in running 'mixed/matched' reels.

but my limited experience with Okuma's has my attention...and I also suppose if I were to look toward the abus I'd find things to love there as well.

bass78

My first choice would be a shimano Chronarch.... second would be an abu garcia revo.
JJ's Magic Prostaff, The Rod Glove Pro Staff, Extreme Sunglasses Pro Staff,    Blue Sports Outdoors Pro staff,