Swim jig set up...

Started by Gwamba, January 16, 2013, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwamba

Just wondering what set up other bass fisherman favor for swim jigs? I fish mostly clear water and
have always fished 1/4 swimjigs on a Dobyns DX 742 finesse rod with 10# fluoro (shown below). But I am planning on fishing deeper water and more weedbeds this season... and some heavier to 1/2oz swim jigs and 5"  minnow trailers...and trying some blade jigs...

What do you like?  :)

Dobyns Rods   Piscifun Reels   Xcite Baits 
Rapala  Strike King

kidd

I use a 704 with 12ish lb flouro and throw 1/4 and 3/8 oz swim jigs on it. One of my go to baits.

cward1234

Swim jigs are the reason I jumped on the PQ Bass Pro deal. I think the pro qualifier I picked up is 6.4:1 and the rod is the Pro Qualifier (discontinued) 7' MH fast tip. I plan on using this setup for both swim jigs and senkos or other stick baits. Oh, and 12 lb yo-zuri hybrid. Can't wait to use it.

Mike Bush

Dobyns 734 with either braid or FC.  Brovarney 1/4-1/2 swimjigs with trailer.  I know a ton of guys that use this exact setup and they swear by it.

Baron49

Going to try using a 5 inch swimbait as a trailer on my swimjigs this year while in Florida.  What speed retrieve reels do you guys prefer?  I nomally use a Revo Winch with a 5.4 for most of my swimbaits and was wondering if that would work for swimjigs as well?

Mike Bush

Quote from: Baron49 on January 17, 2013, 10:13:48 AM
Going to try using a 5 inch swimbait as a trailer on my swimjigs this year while in Florida.  What speed retrieve reels do you guys prefer?  I normally use a Revo Winch with a 5.4 for most of my swimbaits and was wondering if that would work for swimjigs as well?

I use a 6.4 that is 28 IPT.  I prefer a faster retrieve to catch up to fish as they will hit from behind and come right at you.
With that said, if the 5.4 Winch is working on the swimbaits, might as well try it out on swimjigs. 

pondboss

7' MH Ethos w/6.3:1 Mettle 12lb Vicious Fluoro 1/4-3/8 Strike King swim jig with Big Bite Jerk shad or cane thumper trailer.

The early bird may indeed get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Gwamba

You have a good eye Mike!  ;D
Dobyns Rods   Piscifun Reels   Xcite Baits 
Rapala  Strike King

Mike Bush

Thanks....try the 734 out. I use the Coalition...but any 734 will do it.

Donald Garner

I use BPS XPS Extreme 7ft Hvy Trigger Rod with Revo S (6.4:1) reel spooled with Big Game 20lb clear mono.  The areas I been fishing have stained to clear water with a mix structure of boulders, standing timber, submerged cedar trees and gravel banks.  My swimbait jig of choice has been the 3/8 oz Strike King with a 4 in Lucky "E" Strike Bass Magic Swimbait attached as the trailer.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

flipnupheads

I swim jigs a lot and have refined it over the years. Equipment is a 6'6'' or 7' with fairly light/fast tip. Usually a MH with the type of tip i prefer. My personal rods are a Veritas 6'6' M and a shimano compre 7'0'' MH. Many other rods meat my requirements. Reel is a 200E7 CURADO or comparably high speed. We are experimenting with new 8 to 1 Revo. 50 lb braid is a must. I fish coosa, Alabama and Tennessee river and swim in heavy cover mostly grass. this setup gets me a great hookup percentage and landing ratio by pausing after a strike and just pulling the rod and reeling steadily to set the hook. different sizes, styles, colors of jigs and trailers work better on any given day and it changes daily based on conditions. quick adjustments with different configurations will allow me to find the most effective configuration. retrieve styles also. I never have less than 3 different swimming jigs teid on at any given time until I dial it in.

pondboss

Another thing that I like to do is throw a 1/4oz scrounger head with a matching skirt and cane thumper.

The early bird may indeed get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

kidd

Pretty sure I'm switching to braid after the last week bc I got into a lake with quite a few Xmas trees and lost swim jig after swim jig. Think ill try 30 or 40 lb and see what happens.

Mike Bush

Quote from: kidd on January 19, 2013, 03:06:56 PM
Pretty sure I'm switching to braid after the last week bc I got into a lake with quite a few Xmas trees and lost swim jig after swim jig. Think ill try 30 or 40 lb and see what happens.

Yeah..braid is needed with those around any vegetation at all...and xmas trees count. They are pretty damn rough on line.

light wire

I use the B&R Outlaw MH 7' with revo 6.4
with Halo fc 15 lb test line.

jjpatton

Quote from: Mike Bush on January 17, 2013, 09:20:45 AM
Dobyns 734 with either braid or FC.  Brovarney 1/4-1/2 swimjigs with trailer.  I know a ton of guys that use this exact setup and they swear by it.

yep... this set up.   12-15 lb fluoro in clear water with 734 champ.   same jig, vary the grub or trailer size and shape to help you if you wanna fish it deep.   with a 1/4 oz brovarney, anything from a 3"-6" single tail grub you can fish 6"- 25'
JJ Patton
www.dobynsrods.com
www.brovarneybaits.com