1998 518 SVS

Started by Bigwrench, January 09, 2013, 05:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigwrench

Ok I need my UB and Ranger Brothers help setting up my lockers . Starting with the Rod lockers and working to the batteries
I have always used the left rod locker for rods and the right one for tackle . Since installing the deck extension I have alot more center storage and since the boats empty its a good time to figure it all out . When I bought the boat there was a half a$$ rod rack setup in the left locker that I either need to improve on or get rid of it altogether . The secondary reason behind this organizing is to distribute the weight where it will give me better performance 

The rack portion is pretty good and stout but the tube  portion looks home made and just sits in the locker and has styrofoam as you can see holding it up lol this sucks !
  So as far as front locker setup and rod locker organizing what do you guys use or do ? Here's what I have to work with in front.

Keep in mind the TM pedal will be recessed ASAP and a HDS 8 will be mounted most likely in center ( still working the mounting details out )
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Donald Garner

BW,
The way my Stratos is set up is as follows if I'm fishing by myself.
Left Rod Box> holds my (7) crankbait, spinner bait rigs: Right Rod Box > holds my ( 8 ) Texas rigged rods; jig rods and swim bait rigs.  Also located in the (R) box is my boat paddle and rear deck light.
Center Storage Box > (2) carry on bags which contains mine and a spare 100 mph suits and rain gear; (3 pr) Coccoon Sunglasses; Cold wear Neoprene gloves; (2) Hand towels; Small bag with balance beam, digit scales, extra pliers, structure floating markers; (2) self inflating Life jackets; (2) Cold weather life jackets; tow rope; rope ladder; weigh in bags; toilet paper; dip net; Water proof maps of Toledo Bend, Sam Rayburn, Belton and Stillhouse Lake; Flash Light.
Rear Storage behind Pax seat > (14) Plano Storage boxes with Soft Plastics; Rear Storage behind Driver seat >  (14) Plano Storage boxes with Crankbaits, Vibershocks, Spinnerbaits, Buzz Baits, Jigging Spoons, Spare Skirts and blades; Rear Deck Storage > (1) Cranking Battery, (2) Deep Cycle Trolling Motor Batteries; Oil Tank; Jumper cables; Additional tow rope. 

I also have an onboard built in Cooler located between the pax's and driver's console.

If I have a guest fish with me I just put all my rods in the left rod box and all his stuff inside the right rod box for traveling. 

Your Ranger has (1) more additional storage box on your front deck than my Stratos.  Most 75% of my weigh is located in the rear of the boat.  Them plano boxes weigh alot  ~sweat lo 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bigwrench

Thanks for the great reply Donald! On your rod storage do you have some sort   Of rod rack or storage system in your lockers or do you lay the rods on the floor of the locker ? I will have approximately 10 of my rods and then about 7-8 of Tammy's and the kids. 
  Makes more sense to me to do it like you and put the lighter stuff up front like rods,life vests ,cold weather gear, wet weather gear and rope . Then  heavier stuff to the rear .
  Starting at my seats I have directly under them 2 26 gallon fuel tanks , one locker directly behind driver and passenger and then a split live well between them . Rear compartment has 1 cranking battery and oil tank on drivers side , a Ranger 3 bank charger in center and 2 TM batteries on passenger side. Here's the layout.

Cranking battery is a 24 series Deka , TM batteries are 31 series Deka.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Donald Garner

BW,

I don't have any rod racks / tubes in my boxes.  I just laid the rods in there (both boxes) are fully carpeted.  My Stratos's 36 gal fuel tank is built under my seats.  My (2) livewells (32 gal) are between
my rear storage boxes. 

Actually my Stratos is pretty much laided out like your Ranger.  Again the only difference is you have that (1) additional storage area on your front deck now that you've added that deck (storage) extension.

I think my bilge pumps and aerator pumps are easier to get to than your are.  My whole area under the back deck is open.
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

Bigwrench

Donald ,
  When you have your rods laid in the lockers are they all covered with rod gloves or sleeves ?

Donald Garner

Quote from: Bigwrench on January 10, 2013, 04:54:37 PM
Donald ,
  When you have your rods laid in the lockers are they all covered with rod gloves or sleeves ?

BW,
Yes sir, all of my rods are covered with the BPS Rod sleeves / gloves.  I also have lure wraps on the crankbaits to keep them from getting all tangled up too.  The rods slide right in and right out of the boxes with no mess or fuss.

Flyswatter

Rod tubes are great but they don't guarantee tip protection.  Since I have gone to rod jackets I haven't had one issue.   Actually,  I've gone in the opposite direction.  I removed my tubes so I could get more rods in my boat.  I can get 13-15 rods comfortable if I want now in my 18' boat.  8' foot length too.

Bigwrench

That looks great Tom ! Gonna have to play with this some more soon also.