Angler poaches nearly 250 fish

Started by CraigP83, January 25, 2013, 09:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigP83

DNR: Angler poaches nearly 250 fish in western Minn.
By (Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)
KARE11.com
updated 1/25/2013 2:18:31 AM ET

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50583980/ns/local_news-minneapolis_st_paul_mn/#.UQKhsR3AfzE

OTTER TAIL COUNTY, Minn. - A conservation officer with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources recently arrested an angler with nearly 250 fish over the legal limit.
According to a news release, Officer Shane Osborne met the 69-year-old man as he was about to pull his portable fish house off West Spitzer Lake in Otter Tail County.
"I asked how the fishing was and he said he caught some fish, but it wasn't that great," Osborne said. When asked if he had any fish at home, the suspect said he wasn't sure.
"He then asked if I thought he had too many fish," Osborne said. "I said I wouldn't know that until I counted all of the fish he had. He said I could follow him home and check."
When Osborne visited the suspect's home he found 228 sunfish, seven bass and six northern pike over the legal limit. The fish restitution value is $1,560.
According to the 'over-limit law' that took effect in March 2003, the suspect, if convicted, forfeits his or her fishing license for three years. The person also faces up to $3,000 in fines and one year in jail. He is scheduled to appear in Douglas County Court in February.

Mike Cork

So the way I'm looking at this photo and after reading the story. This angler catches just three bluegill, but lets and officer in his house to count the fish he has in the freezer..... Can you say "Here's your sign"

We don't have a limit on bluegill here in Louisiana :-\

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

CraigP83

We have a problem in the metro area were lots of lakes are choked full of stunted panfish. IMO (and im not a biologist) the problem is due to a combination of our shorter growing season and the fact that most nice size panfish go home in buckets. I feel the MN DNR does a good job trying to balance harvest rates by putting a limit on all game fish (20 sunfish per person).

I'm not even sure what this guy was even planning on doing with 250+ fish, thats one heck of a fish fry! Either way he doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed....

Bigwrench

Wow ! I didn't realize they had a limit on them anywhere :)   I know we don't.  My Dad lives in Wisconsin and I would be willing to bet he has over 200 in the freezer now. They actually consider them a game fish ? I'm actually from Mn originally and woulda never guessed they had a limit. Is that statewide ? 
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Mike Cork

I know some folks that could easily eat that many personally. Some folks I know eat fish two times a week, however they don't keep them in the freezer, they eat them and then get more. I'm with you, not sure what he was planning.

Cork's Reel Service

CraigP83

Yes Bigwrench it's a statewide limit.... FYI I believe the bag limit on sunfish in WI is 25  ~read

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 25, 2013, 12:27:16 PM
I know some folks that could easily eat that many personally. Some folks I know eat fish two times a week, however they don't keep them in the freezer, they eat them and then get more. I'm with you, not sure what he was planning.

The way the regulations reads here is there is a possession limit of 20 per licensed angler.... So if two anglers were to go out and catch 40 sunfish, bring them home, cook and eat them. Then they can go back out the following day and keep more.

Dug

I haven't seen this type of possession limit before.   
From the MN DNR

"Daily and possession limits are the same unless otherwise noted. Fish are in an
angler's possession whether on hand, in cold storage, in transport, or elsewhere."

So no saving up for a fish Fry.   

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Bigwrench

Quote from: CraigP83 on January 25, 2013, 12:31:38 PM
Yes Bigwrench it's a statewide limit.... FYI I believe the bag limit on sunfish in WI is 25  ~read
I better call Dad tell him to start frying lol. Of course I said we don't have a limit but could be wrong :) I like using them for live Muskie bait lol. But otherwise try not to catch them
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 25, 2013, 12:27:16 PM
I could probably put one heck of a dent in 250 :) I like Vittles !

CraigP83

Quote from: Bigwrench on January 25, 2013, 12:38:07 PM
I better call Dad tell him to start frying lol. Of course I said we don't have a limit but could be wrong :) I like using them for live Muskie bait lol. But otherwise try not to catch them

That would also be illegal here in the nanny state. From the 2012 MN regs:  "Using whole or parts of game fish, goldfish, or carp for bait is unlawful."

Quote from: Dug on January 25, 2013, 12:35:39 PM
I haven't seen this type of possession limit before.   
From the MN DNR

"Daily and possession limits are the same unless otherwise noted. Fish are in an
angler's possession whether on hand, in cold storage, in transport, or elsewhere."

So no saving up for a fish Fry.   

Dug

One way to skirt the rules is to have some of your guests bring a limit of fish to the fish fry. As long as nobody is over their possession limits everything is copacetic.

Mike Cork

I'll bet dynamite and shocking systems are out to then  :'( :'(

Tough regs, but I do understand the smaller growing season. I doubt you could find to many folks in MN that don't appreciate the efforts of the DNR

Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

Quote from: Bigwrench on January 25, 2013, 12:25:58 PM
Wow ! I didn't realize they had a limit on them anywhere :)   I know we don't.  My Dad lives in Wisconsin and I would be willing to bet he has over 200 in the freezer now. They actually consider them a game fish ? I'm actually from Mn originally and woulda never guessed they had a limit. Is that statewide ?

check your state statutes. Not every state is the same.  Most important in this case:  there are a lot of other folks who don't think about the difference in daily limit and 'posession limit'...which is usually twice the daily bag.

Mike Cork

Louisiana possession limits are twice the daily bag limit. I can have a limit in the freezer and a limit in the livewell.

Cork's Reel Service