Loch Raven Reservoir Bass Fishing Reports

Started by Mike Noble, July 20, 2004, 07:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crawdaddy

Went out again to the same point tonight and only caught one bass about 10 inches, does anyone know the water temp, it felt like it was about 60 degrees

LochRaven05

water temp is about 71. went out yesterday and had a slow start...only 1 9 inch bass. stayed patient and it paid off. caught a 4.5, 5, and 2 pounder on chartruse spinnerbaits out by the golf course. also lost one that felt pretty big...it hit my spinnerbait as soon as it hit the water and i fought it for about 2-3 seconds before it got off. pretty dissapointed about that but ended up being a good day.

Pferox

Congrats Loch, it sure sounds like a great day.
I like those Chartreuse baits, its a good time of the year for em.
Does white do well your way?
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

LochRaven05

havent had much success with white spinnerbaits, but havent used them too much either. i just have too much confidence in the chartruse spinnerbaits with gold blades.

Creel Limit Zero

A 4.5 and a 5 pounder.   ~c~  Nice job, and I agree those chartruese spinners sure do well in there!   :-*

crawdaddy

sounds like a great trip, 5 pounders are hard to find this time a year, ncie job! What time of day was it, and how did you retrieve the spinnerbaits?

LochRaven05

most of the fish i've been catchin out there have been between 3 and 5 pounds. ive been fishing the grasslines  and basically playin around with the retrieve until i get something then stickin with it for the day. twice ive been in 15 feet of water and had fish take my spinnerbait the second it hits the water and other times they hit real deep. ive always done well at those spots this time of year.

crawdaddy

i saw you talking about going out on the chesapeake. I wnet out with my cousin in his boat on friday afternoon and had lots of luck even though it was a  ~rain. We didnt catch much for about 3 hours but then we started heading back and found some birds working around the mouth of the Magothy. The action lasted about 30 minutes and we caught about 50 fish with 5 keeper rock, the one we threw back was about 22 inches with the biggest being 26. It gave me a great fight on my new ultralite st croix :). If you do end up going id suggest fishing between baltimore and sandy point ligh houses, if you start reeling up oyster shells id definately just stop there and wait for the action to start

Creel Limit Zero

That's awesome.   ~c~  Very exciting seeing all those diving birds and casting your streamers right into the middle of those shad.   ~c~  I really do hope to get out a couple of times this next month.   :-*

crawdaddy

yeah the saltwater action has really started to pick up. Does anybody know if you can keep a boat out at loch raven on a trailer. my neighbor is looking for a place to fsh where he can keep his boat on the shore. it's 16 feet though and a little too heavy to be dragging up and down the bank. Any info would help

Creel Limit Zero

Unfortunately they will not let you keep it at Loch Raven on the trailer.  It can only be left on the bank, which gives us all a sore back.  There may be somewhere close that you can store your boat on a trailer, but I would suspect it would be much more expensive than Loch Raven's bank storage prices.

Does he have a long commute to Loch Raven, or does he just not want to leave it at his place.  I find it easier to just leave all my fishing gear in my boat and bring it home with me.  Guess that just because I'm lazy though.   lo

crawdaddy

No we live just about 10 minutes away, he just needs room in the garage for this winter. Thanks anyway

LochRaven05

anyone know wut the water temp has been in LR recently. might come home to fish this weekend and wanna get some idea wut im workin with. thanks

Creel Limit Zero

I haven't been there in quite a while, so no help here.  I would suspect in the low to mid 70's though, with all the rain we got this past weekend, and the cold front passing through...  Liberty Reservoir was in the 70's on Sunday.   

crawdaddy

Creel Limit Zero

Won't be fishing Loch Raven again until next year.  Used to rent a boat and throw the trolling motor on it.  Since getting my Jon Boat in August, I couldn't afford the $50 ramp pass at both Loch Raven and Liberty for only a couple of months of fishing.   :'(  Went with Liberty since it is closer, but will be getting both next year.   :-*

LochRaven05

went out saturday. caught a lot of pickerel on an x-rap jerkbait. also got a 3.5 pound bass and a few smaller ones on the same bait and one small bass on a white/chartruse senko. water temp. is around 66 and most of the grass isnt in the way anymore from all of the rain(water level is up a lot).

Creel Limit Zero

Nice work.   ~c~ I went out to Liberty on Sunday that I have to post a report.  It appeared to me that they are in the fall turnover, and Loch Raven probably is now too, but it certainly wasn't on Saturday based on this report.  The fish are probably going to go in lock jaw there just like Liberty for the next couple of days, until it turns over. 

crawdaddy

does anyone know where you get the info for tournaments at loch raven

Creel Limit Zero

Most of the tournaments they have at Loch Raven are for private clubs.   ~xyz  Certainly would like to get into them.  I've asked the Fishing center there a couple of years ago if they hold any public tournaments, they weren't for the rest of that year, and said most are from clubs anyway. 

You can give them a call to see if there are anymore this year.  (410) 887-5319

crawdaddy

yeah I figured alot were private because whenever they have any sort of tournament they all seem to know eachother, just making sure. Next year we should try to get a few together :).

Creel Limit Zero

Sounds good to me, would love to get in a few tourneys next year.   :-*

crawdaddy

anyone fish around paper mill bridge lately or ever this time of year?

Creel Limit Zero

I have not.  Let us know how it goes if you decide to give it a try.   :-*

kmk42019

Hey,
Im new to this forum and have been fishing loch raven for about the past two weeks.  Two weeks ago i cuaght 3 from plastic worms to the right of the fishing center.  Since then it has really slowed down. Yesterday i fished at the warren rd. bridge with only one 7" largemouth on a deep diving crankbait.  Today I fished the north west side at the dulaney valley bridge with no luck from about 11:30 -2.  Any tips or hot spots for this time of year. I know the bass are becoming lethargic so slowering retreival is a must but i havent had much luck at all lately.  Ive been using watermelon, pumpikinseed and green pumpkin berkely power worms texas rigged.  Ive also been using a white spinnerbait and a rattlin rappila slashbait.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks