Finally got me a John Boat

Started by LgMouthGambler, March 17, 2013, 07:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West6550

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 02, 2013, 07:54:19 PM
As you can see a little further on the project. I figured out where Im going to mount the trolling motor. Had to extend the wiring a bit to be able to reach the battery storage area. I am using quick clamps at the end of the wires so that changing batteries over is simple by just lifting the hatch and moving the clamps from one battery to the other.  :-*

Good idea, I only had one battery on mine but I used the clamps since I had to trailer and had to load the boat everytime out. Those batteries get heavy walking up or down a hill lol  ~xyz It also made it easier to charge the battery at the house.

LgMouthGambler

Laid the deck and hatches out and cut the carpeting down to size to glue it down. Not as bad of a process as I thought it was gonna be. The deck was the hardes to try and cover the whole top while trying to keep the glue out of the hatch areas. Had to glob the stuff on, and cover the whole top like I was frosting a cake, and then using the serrated edge to keep going over the glue to rid the excess. It worked out OK I think. Left the deck and hatches to dry overnight.

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

steve76

TheLastRodBender

Man, that thing is really comin along!!!  Gotta love it!  ~c~

LgMouthGambler

Thanks guys. Got the bilge pump and switch wired yesterday, and the ejection pipe mounted. Pics to come.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

Carpet on the deck is drying well. Moved the pieces off the floor and on a flat roller to get them out of the way. Tucked the excess under to get an idea of what it might look like.

LgMouthGambler

Finished the bilge pump wiring today. Ran a on/off switch to it, and mounted it on the baack side of the rear bridge. Battery is recessed into the rear bridge to keep out of the way. Also made an ejection pipe that runs through the side of the boat to give a clean look for water to exit without some random hose just hanging out of the boat.

LgMouthGambler

Some pics of the bilge battery and switch.

LgMouthGambler

Bilge dump pipe

LgMouthGambler

Took th support beams apart today, and the wood was rotted. Got some 2X4 and cut new ones. Painted them to help keep the termites out. Used the carpet that I had left over for the deck to wrap the boards with. Gonna mount them back on the trailer tomorrow. 

West6550

LgMouthGambler

Mounted the boards back on the trailer, and glued and stapled the carpeting to the backside of the casting deck today.

West6550

Make sure it's sturdy I ain't no little guy  lo

LgMouthGambler

That deck aint gonna break for no one, lol.

LgMouthGambler

Today I took the trailer to get weighed. Afterwards,  I cut the hatch holes out of the carpeting, mounted the rear seat, and put the boat back on the trailer and adjusted the rails. Tomorrow I will mount the hinges and locks for the hatches, and mount the support beam.

rockchalk06

Looking good man. Looks like I need to make a trip down to Florida and go fish some canals!

I'm still debating on getting a John now or waiting till next year and spending 5k plus.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: rockchalk06 on April 09, 2013, 04:38:57 AM
Looking good man. Looks like I need to make a trip down to Florida and go fish some canals!

I'm still debating on getting a John now or waiting till next year and spending 5k plus.

Anytime you want to make a trip, I will be more than happy to take you out fishing.

rockchalk06

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 09, 2013, 04:42:10 AM
Anytime you want to make a trip, I will be more than happy to take you out fishing.

Sweet!

stew6371

Looks great!  I've got a14 ft semi v  that I built decks in the front & back. One piece of advice, don't use pressure treated wood on an aluminum boat. Chemicals in the wood will react with the aluminum &  corrode it.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: stew6371 on April 09, 2013, 05:20:32 PM
Looks great!  I've got a14 ft semi v  that I built decks in the front & back. One piece of advice, don't use pressure treated wood on an aluminum boat. Chemicals in the wood will react with the aluminum &  corrode it.
No worries, the wood is marine grade and has been sealed thoroughly with resin.

LgMouthGambler

Finished the boat today. Here are some pics of the finished deck. As you can see the hatches that have access to the batteries and storage.

LgMouthGambler

Another pic, shows that battery storage hatch in action, lol.

stew6371

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 09, 2013, 07:08:56 PM
No worries, the wood is marine grade and has been sealed thoroughly with resin.

That is good. Great job!

West6550

rockchalk06

What did the deck you appox. If you don't mind me asking?