Opinions on Ish's Phat Frog

Started by ʇuǝɹq™, May 16, 2013, 10:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ʇuǝɹq™

I have tried numerous different hollow body frogs, and I always go back with the Spro. I want to give the Phat Frog try. What's your guys opinion on these?

Mike Bush

I personally havent use one, but buddies say it is a good frog. Softer body vs the spro around the hooks. Collapses easier and doesnt get as much water in the body. Basically....the Spro and Ish's frog are the two they will use.

Mike Cork

It's a good frog but better than the spro? Only if you like the colors. Reason being is that the hook up ratio is only gonna be better in your confidence. If a bass takes either of these frogs completely they will hook up. So if your hook up ratio is what your looking to improve, try it but don't give up on it because you don't have the spro confidence and its a day that they are not eating it.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Drake691

The Ish frog is an ok frog. I prefer the LiveTarget Hollow body frogs 
I have lots of great personality traits. Or as my doctor calls them, symptoms.

Camden

sorry haven't used it. haven't really used any other style since I started with the booyah pad crasher.

Down4ttown

Is there a color pattern you guys follow with frogs. I can never get a fish to bite on a frog completely.

LgMouthGambler

Tried them, didn't care for them. KVD frog, Spro, Livetarget, Bass Pro, and Booyah, tried them all. The only one out of all of them that I really still use is the Booyah Padcrushers, they are better priced and produce better for me. I have a Livetarget frog still that I will break out when I want to use a really big frog where I know there are some monsters hiding.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

ʇuǝɹq™

Quote from: Mike Cork on May 16, 2013, 10:51:20 AM
It's a good frog but better than the spro? Only if you like the colors. Reason being is that the hook up ratio is only gonna be better in your confidence. If a bass takes either of these frogs completely they will hook up. So if your hook up ratio is what your looking to improve, try it but don't give up on it because you don't have the spro confidence and its a day that they are not eating it.

It's not the hook up ratio I'm looking for. I'm 100% on the Spro and I'm not looking to replace them. They just have a couple colors that interest me. I like to think that I'm a bit of a frog conisuer, and I want play around with one. If they're cheap built then I don't want to waste my money on them.

I've thrown the pad crasher and the live target. They're good frogs, but my confidence is with the Spro.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: ʇuǝɹq™ on May 16, 2013, 11:39:46 AM
It's not the hook up ratio I'm looking for. I'm 100% on the Spro and I'm not looking to replace them. They just have a couple colors that interest me. I like to think that I'm a bit of a frog conisuer, and I want play around with one. If they're cheap built then I don't want to waste my money on them.

I've thrown the pad crasher and the live target. They're good frogs, but my confidence is with the Spro.

IMO color is second to presentation. Most of the frogs the color is on the top side. What side do you think the fish sees from under the water?

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

bass.junky

I will put it this way, I hate SnagProof frogs, and that kept me from trying the Ish Phat frog, but last season I finally broke down and fished it, and I love it. I think it is better built then a Spro

I like the two chamber system, I like the different (longer) profile and I like the weight.

Here is a complete review I did on it last season:http://bassjunkiesfrogpond.blogspot.ca/2012/09/snag-proof-ish-phat-frog-review.html

from one frog connoisseur to another, its worth a look

Mike Cork

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 16, 2013, 11:52:03 AM
IMO color is second to presentation. Most of the frogs the color is on the top side. What side do you think the fish sees from under the water?

If bass aren't seeing the top color flash at them once in a while, you're missing out on a lot of action ~shade

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

danisfish

I like the live target frog. I use the spro as well but I like the koppers frog much more. Better colors, softer, better hook up ratio for me.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Siggy by DundeeMike

lunchbox

I fish a LOT of frogs. I have had friends who have said the reason I don't ice fish is because I can not fish a frog through the ice. I do not like Spro frogs. They always seem to sink on me. I hate having to force the water out after every cast or two. The Phat Frog works amazingly well for me. Casts well, walks well, skips like a stone, great hook up ratio and very weed resistant. Having said all of that, I do not really care for the popping version of this frog. I will continue to use the Spro Popping Frog as it has none of the problems that the "standard" version does. If you get the Ish's frog and hate it let me know. I will happily buy you a spro of your color choice and we can trade.
Brandon

stratos bandit

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 16, 2013, 11:34:02 AM
The only one out of all of them that I really still use is the Booyah Padcrushers, they are better priced and produce better for me.
~cf

Ditto for me.  My hookup rate is excellant with the booyah pad crashers.

LoganB

I used a Ish phat frog today for the first time and I was very impressed. I used to throw nothing but spro but the Ish frog walks easier out of the pack. Also I feel the rubber is a little softer which equals better hook ups but not as weedless. The best thing is that I did not have to empty water out of it one time today, the separate compartment is a great feature IMO. 

earldogg

I use spro and the phat frog, i like them both. My best day frogging ever, was with the phat frog, gl.

ʇuǝɹq™

Thanks for the replies guys. No one around here sales them so I need to order a couple and give them a shot.

lunchbox

The Jackal frogs are great too. They walk well, don't sink and have a slightly smaller profile.

SABasser

I mainly use the Spro frog, only negative on it is it filling up with water. The Phat frog is also a great bait and I suppose it comes down to personal preference

Flyswatter

Quote from: LoganB on June 04, 2013, 08:33:35 PM
I used a Ish phat frog today for the first time and I was very impressed. I used to throw nothing but spro but the Ish frog walks easier out of the pack. Also I feel the rubber is a little softer which equals better hook ups but not as weedless. The best thing is that I did not have to empty water out of it one time today, the separate compartment is a great feature IMO.

It's my favorite frog and I have to many.   ~roflmao

Canesfan

I like the way it walks the dog easily plus supposedly won 't fill up with water like the expensive Jackall frog does.

lunchbox

I have never had either one ( jackal or ish's) fill with water. Spro on the other hand may as well be a sponge.

FATFLATTIE

The Phat Frog is pretty good.  Did have the weight come out after only 1 fish on one of them.  Other than that I have no complaints.  Walks really well and I love the double chamber, none of the problems that other frogs have with taking on water.
Life's short, fish hard.

stratos bandit

Too all you frog lovers....buy some mend-it glue. That stuff can really extend the life of you frog by repairing holes. It stays flexible after drying.

Pat Curtis

Been wondering about the Phat Frog for some time.  Weird timing of this topic since I ordered some a week ago from TW and arrived the other day.  Can't wait to try them out.