Anyone Use Spinning Tackle For Jigs?

Started by 20inchbass, June 18, 2013, 07:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

20inchbass

I've never been able to get used to a baitcaster and do it consistently. Since I only use jigs 3/8 oz. and less, I was thinking that I should just stick to spin tackle, but maybe I should get a beefier rod or so. Any suggestions? What size line as well? Thanks!

shlomo

Absolutely, especially if skipping under branches or way up under docks. My pb largemouth came off a 1/2oz. football jig tied to 10# mono on a mh spinning outfit. Personally, I'd rather use a baitcaster for jigging heavy cover or thick weeds, but a spinning reel has treated me well in a lot of places. Light jigs like a Bitsy Bug are perfect for lighter set ups.
"Some people wonder their whole lives whether or not they made a difference. The military doesn't have that problem."

Diggy_

Nothing wrong with that. I used to as do plenty of others because manufacturers make tech specific spinning rods for this like the cumara. I plan to do it again once I get my new spining reel since it will have 2 spools. I will rig one with 30lb braid and one with 50lb braid :-)  I have a rod rated from 1/4 to 1 oz which is double duty for inshore, but many fall into your range of bait usage.

20inchbass

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was talking about. I use light jigs and pitch them under stuff and around. Not punching grass or anything. I think I'll invest in another rod and reel and just keep a jig on it at all times.

buzzfrog

I have a 6 ft allstar rod, and i skip bitsey jigs all the time
Black SunShine

The RodFather

I throw jigs on a Powell Endurance 6103... It's served me well when I feel the need for a spinning application. Check them out if you haven't already bought a rod. I also think the new line they have coming in October (inferno) features a 6103 model. They'll be at a little cheaper price point, other than that I don't know much about them yet.

Oldfart9999

There's nothing wrong with using spinning for lighter jigs, just keep an eye out for line twist. You can hook a finger over the line to help you feel what's happening to your bait.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Dean Machine

I have almost zero confidence with a jig, and I have alot of confidence using spinning gea, so I combined a spinning outfit with a jig earlier this year. I was using a 1/2 ounce on #10 line. I ended up winning the tournament I did this in.

Now I have more confidence in a jig, but only on a spinning rod  ~b~

I need to see a psychiatrist
Razr Rods Pro Staff, Trendsetter Tackle Pro Staff
2005 Nitro 929, 225 Mercury Optimax, Humminbird electronics

Justin P

Quote from: Dean Machine link=topic=109334.msg1203388#msg1203388 date=. I was using a 1/2 ounce on #10 line.
/quote]

You are braver than me!! I usually have a jig on year round but on nothing less than 17lb floro.

Smallie_Stalker

Hey 20inchbass. When it comes to Power and Actin ratings there can be a big difference from one manufacturer to another. Depending on your budget and which company you choose I would recommend either a medium or medium-heavy power rod with a fast or extra-fast action. Three that I have used with success are the Falcon FS-4-17 "Mansfield Special" and the Abu Garcia Veritas VRS70-5 (medium power 3/16 -5/8 oz. lures) and VRS70-6 (medium-heavy 1/4 oz. - 3/4 oz. lures). They are all listed as fast action rods but the Abu's are actually a bit stiffer than the Falcon.

I would also suggest that you try either a braid of your choice or a fused superline like Berkley Fireline or Nano-Fil. Either way you can get the small diameter and castability of a low pound test mono with the strength and power to move bigger bass out of cover or from under a dock if need be.

That's just my .02  Hope you find this helpful.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire