Imlooking to purchase a procraft bass boat

Started by zclar3, August 28, 2013, 02:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zclar3

hey, I am new to this forum and I am looking to purchase my first bass boat. The boat is a 1985 procraft  17.5 feet long. it has a 150hp black max mercury, the guy said it was rebuilt in 2011. is this motor reliable? is there anything I should loom for while looking at this boat? has there been problems with this model? some info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

fishinfranklin

Best advice I can give is to do a compression check on the motor all cylinders should be within 15% of eachother and take it for test drive on the water. Search the forms here on ub for tips on buying boats there is a TON of info and one other thing I will recommend more so if the boat was stored outside and that's to take the rig by a scale a weigh it and look up what it should weigh and compare the numbers. You DO NOT want a water logged boat. and yes the foam will absorb water and kill the boats performance.

zclar3

Thanks for the advice franklin,  do auto parts stores sell compression testers? thanks , the guy is giving it to me for 2k and I thought that was an exceptional price being that the motor was recently rebuilt. its in good shape also but the carpet is rough on it.

Mike Cork

2k is a great buy, unless you end up putting another 4k into over the next few months.

Definitely take it on the water and drive it, make sure it feels good to you. A compression check is a must on any used motor purchase. You can get a tester at any auto parts house.

Carpet on a 28 year old boat, yeah it's gonna be rough... ;) check the hull for soft spots or any de-laminating

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zclar3

Yeah, I just purchased it today for 2k  and runs excellent, fiberglass is In good shape, no rot, had it on water today and could not have ran any better. Couldnt seem to get the swithes to work for livewell as they do not  turn on. Great boat tho! Thanks for info mike!

fishinfranklin

GREAT!!! congrats on the boat. Sounds like you got a good deal and happy with it.
Now we are just waiting on some pictures of it.. lo