Wehrspann 11/9

Started by Ice Cold Peanuts, November 09, 2013, 08:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice Cold Peanuts

Fished for 4 hours today. Water was 47 degrees. Had a definite thump on a 1/2 oz jig almost right away in a brush pile 12 feet down but there wasn't anything there when I set the hook. I'm basically fishing for one bite now.

Going to try Cunningham or Wanahoo tomorrow.
2004 Ranger Camache, Yamaha 150. Guess who thinks he's pretty cool now?

Bassthumb

What color jig?

I would try a jerk bait over the same brush. cast beyoned the pile, wind it down, then bring the JB over the brush and kill it (long pause). 

Retired USAF MSgt (1W071A)            2008 Triton Tr-196
Plattsmouth, NE                  Mercury Optimax 200
B.A.S.S   NE B.A.S.S. Federation   FoMNTT participant (never again)                   Omaha-River City Bass Club

Ice Cold Peanuts

Quote from: Bassthumb on November 12, 2013, 07:22:31 AM
What color jig?

I would try a jerk bait over the same brush. cast beyoned the pile, wind it down, then bring the JB over the brush and kill it (long pause).
The jig was black with a blue fleck space monkey trailer. It looks great in the water.
I've been trying a shallow running (4'-6') suspending pointer and a deeper diving (10') suspending Stacy King jerk bait too but the wind in conjunction with boat control made using them difficult. I know I didn't give them enough effort though.

Siebert Outdoors

I'd probably down size that trailer.  A spacemonkey is a great bait but in 47 deg.  I would change it to a smaller bait in a chunk or 3" craw.

Another possibility is chop the top of the skirt and make it into a finesse jig.  I've never had much luck throwing real big profiles in water less then about 55 degrees.   As also recommended that jerkbait or trap bite might be on.

Ice Cold Peanuts

Quote from: Siebert Outoors on November 13, 2013, 08:02:21 AM
I'd probably down size that trailer.  A spacemonkey is a great bait but in 47 deg.  I would change it to a smaller bait in a chunk or 3" craw.

Another possibility is chop the top of the skirt and make it into a finesse jig.  I've never had much luck throwing real big profiles in water less then about 55 degrees.   As also recommended that jerkbait or trap bite might be on.
I've always thrown the same sizes and colors regardless of the season. Perhaps I'd have had a lot more luck but I always thought that if a bass is hungry or interested, he'll hit regardless of those specific  little touches. I guess that's what separates good fisherman from great fisherman. Thanks for the suggestions. If it's not to cold I'm going to try your tips and a couple I got from Bassthumb. Much appreciated.