Which 2 bait casting rods for bass would you choose if you had a $450 budget?

Started by fshrjmpn, December 28, 2013, 05:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fshrjmpn

I am looking forward to starting my retirement and I live around a lot of good bass water.  Mostly, I have been a fly fisherman for trout most of my fishing life.  But now, I can't overlook the convenience of nearby bass waters, and I can't wait to learn this new fishery.  I have done a lot of looking and reading.  I realize that I have to rebuild my fishing tackle inventory and I'm ready  to start.  I want to start with 2 rods and I'm thinking St. Croix, Avid series. The AVC70MHF and AVC68MXF seem a good place to start.  What do you think? 

Lee Smith

fshrjmpn, Welcome to Ultimate Bass  ~c~  ~c~

We're glad to have you around!  You'll find a very friendly family here that are more than willing to help out any and all they can with you new "Bass Fever"  lo

Rods are all according to what type of lures your fishing.  The AVC70MHF is definitely a good all around rod that can be used for plastics, some cranks, jigs, ect...  I have not held the AVC68MXF so can't answer as to that certain rod.

Check out our sponsors, they all have great items and DISCOUNT codes for being a member  :-*

Again, Welcome, and I look forward to following and helping in your new adventure.  Also, Congrats on the upcoming retirement  :toot: :toot:
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

fshrjmpn

I want to focus on learning to skip jigs under docks and learning the flipping and pitching routine.  Still, I know that I am going to spend some time dragging worms and plastics like I did years ago when that is all that I knew how to do.    Maybe a  telescoping 7'6" flipping rod will be my 3rd rod, and another one for swim baits, but for now I want to start with 2.

SenkoGuru

The Best Rod's I've ever fished with (and I've used a Ton of different ones) Are Duckett White Ice If I could only get two I would get the Duckett White Ice 7'1" Medium Heavy, Kelly Jordan, this rod is so very good for many types of baits, the tip is great for swimjigs, spinnerbaits, topwaters, you could even throw rattletraps on this rod. That is just how good the tip really is. You need to fish this rod to understand how great it is, I get a smile on my face every time I fish it because of how balanced it is and the tip action along with the backbone.  The second one I would buy is my personal favorite Bass Fishing Rod ever and it is the Duckett White Ice 7'3" Heavy, Pete Pond's model. I use one for Texas rigged worms, craws, tubes and another for frogging. You can pitch jigs and tubes all day with this rod. If I was starting out and could have only two fishing rods those would be it.

I am sure others will offer up what they think and there are lot of good fishing rods on the market right now, Kistler KLX is a good rod, Powell Endurance and Powell Max are really good, Denali rods are good and as you have already said St Croix are good also. A Whole bunch of people here love the Dobyns rods, I do not like Dobyn's Rods but I'm sure they would make you a great Bass Rod also. I would stay away from a telescoping rod as they tend to not be as sensitive as a one piece rod but that is just my own feelings on it.

I hope you find the right set up for you and have many good days of fishing out on the water.
Megabass Orochi xx Rods / Daiwa Reels / Yamamoto Senko's / V & M /  Gamakatsu

Remember your life vest. It floats, you don't.

TNDiver

You might want to spend some time in a BPS or Cabelas, etc and feel them yourself.  Expect to spend a couple of hours!  I really liked the Duckett Micro Magic (haven't tried the Ice yet, but want to) after holding a lot of popular ones, even St. Croix.  I never tried Dobyns either, but a lot of people here swear by them.  Unfortunately I get BPS gift cards all the time so I spend my money there.  You may want to call Ron at Beat the Big Box Boys as I have heard he offers great deals! 
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Dark3

I would just look at reviews on TW to see what the best rod is at your price point. You may also want to look at slider jig heads for getting under docks if you have never heard of them. They were popular in the 90's and are still made today

LgMouthGambler

If I had $450 I would be grabbing 2 Dobyns Champion rods. Hit up Ron at Valley Sports for an awesome deal. I just picked up one, and man its a sweet rod.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

fshrjmpn

Thanks for your comments!  Duckett White Ice is something that I didn't even know about and the loyalty to Dobyns is something special.  Trying to decide without actually casting and fishing is really hard.  From my flyfishing days, I know that I have a really hard time telling much about a rod until I have a line on it and make a few cast.  Seeing it and hold inside a shop tell me very little.  To get started, I am going to have to rely on the opinions of experts like yourselves.  St. Croix, Loomis, Dobyns, Duckett White  are all in the mix for me right now.

Developing criteria seem to be  6'8" to 7'1" length, one rod that is M and another MH, fast or extra fast action.  I still think covering covering the M and MH  range  with 2 rods is going to be better for me than trying to decide on just one.  Reels are not going to be a problem for me.  I have access to Lews new Tournament Professional and ABU Garcia Revo SX and I am pretty sure that I will love the Lews.

Its increasingly hard to find only USA made stuff, but I am partial to it. With that in mind, it was kind of disappointing to learn that Loomis was sold to Shimano (at least Shimano is a great company with wonderful history for gearing products).  I understand that G. Loomis is now making rods under the Edge brand.  Do you think we should be considering them?   Again, thanks for your responses far.  All thoughts and ideas welcome.

SenkoGuru

As I stated I would highly recommend the Duckett White ice but it is not USA made. If this is something you would Like then I would say look at the Kistler KLX line of fishing rods, very good rods and they are made in America.
Megabass Orochi xx Rods / Daiwa Reels / Yamamoto Senko's / V & M /  Gamakatsu

Remember your life vest. It floats, you don't.

Makaira76

I don't want to play the symantics game but its Gary Loomis not G. Loomis. For some reason whenever Shimano see anyone who is confused or cant differentiate the two, Shimano get all butt hurt over the brand ownership. But anyways..

Yes Gary Loomis new rod company brand is Edge Rods. I haven't personally fish one but I have one built using one of his HM blank. All I can say is the thing like a stylus on a record. Nothing negative I can think of other than the blank are pricey.

Another brand that uses NFC blanks is Kistler Z-Bone series rod. You can hit up Ron Fogelson regarding Kistler's rods.

Quote from: fshrjmpn on December 28, 2013, 08:56:42 PM
  I understand that G. Loomis is now making rods under the Edge brand.  Do you think we should be considering them?   Again, thanks for your responses far.  All thoughts and ideas welcome.

loomisguy

You would be close to buying 2 Loomis IMX's.. I would get a 783 and a 844. With those 2 you you could do just about anything you need to except deeper cranks. The 783 is a great spinnerbait ,topwater , smaller jig and even works for jerkbaits and squarebills.The 844 for 1/2 oz. jigs, T-rigs and carolina rigs. You could flip with it also. They are made in the U.S.
Check with american Legacy , you may be able to pick up a used GLX or 2.
Also you may want to look at Falcon, The cara is a outstanding rod and well within your budget.

Pferox

YUP, I agree, don't care the brand, one medium heavy and a medium will cover a lot of presentations. Maybe throw in an inexpensive spinning rod or two down the line and you are pretty much good to go. IMO.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

earldogg

G loomis, st croix, dobyns, in that order for me. Avid's are a great series, but i will say a 7' mh fast st croix is a very powerful stick, i throw 3/4 oz spinnerbaits on my ltbc70mhf, if i wanted a avid for skipping docks, get the avc70mhxf, alittle less powerful, a little lighter, and that xf tip will work better, i use my avc70mhxf for buzzbaits but have beat up some docks with it. The mhxf will handle 1/4-1/2 jigs well, the mhf is more like 1/2-3/4oz jigs. Medium power st croix's are very very useful sticks, a wise choice i think,gl.

CraigP83

I'd go with the 7' MH/F Casting rod, and a 7' M/F Spinning rod. It will give you the most versatility for your $$$. My buddy owns an Avid and it is a sweet stick. I own some Premier series and also Legend Tournament series rods and really enjoy them.

Smallie_Stalker

Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Glad to have you aboard and congratulations on your retirement.  ~c~

Since you are needing some new gear for bass fishing you may want to put your name in for the New Member's Contest . We also have Weekly Contests that will be starting up again after the first of the New Year, so keep your eye out for those as well.  :)

I agree that it is hard to judge a rod without fishing with it first. At least if you buy a high quality rod you have a good chance of getting most of your money back if you decide you don't like it and want to sell it.

I would say you are on target with the lengths, powers and actions you mentioned. As has been said already, I would  not recommend getting a telescoping rod. Besides being less sensitive they also tend to be heavier than a comparable 1 piece rod. I have even had one break on me at the point where the two sections slide together.

That's just my .02.

Good luck in your search. Keep us posted on what you decide and how it works out.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

H8R

Dean Machine

You may want to consider Razr Rods out of Springfield Missouri. Very sensitve, light and comes with a lifetime warranty. Tell the owner I sent you
Razr Rods Pro Staff, Trendsetter Tackle Pro Staff
2005 Nitro 929, 225 Mercury Optimax, Humminbird electronics

bobsquatch13

For the $450 total you could get two Dobyns rods with one being an Extreme and the other a Champion model, as can get them at a sale price from Ron for right around that amount, I am guessing? Can't go wrong with them. I switched from another major brand this year to all Dobyns rods and quite happy about it but then everyone has their opinion on the best ones for them. Good luck with your search.

fshrjmpn

Since my initial post in December, I have been doing a lot of online research, visiting local tackle shops, etc.  I appreciate the comments and recommendations from this forum.  In the end, I spent more $ than I wanted to .  As I noted earlier, I have spent a fair amount of time flyfishing and I have come to appreciate fine rods.  Fishing is fishing and a joy for me no matter what, but a fine rod makes the experience just extra special for me.  Of course, I am finding that a good baitcasting reel is as important as the rod with baitcasting and several different lines are required for different types of lures. 

For my first 2 rods I chose St. Croix's Avid series -- 6'8" Medium with XF taper (AC68MXF) and a  7'0" Medium Heavy with extra fast taper (AVC70MHXF).  On both these rods I put Lew's Tournament Pros Speed Spool Casting Reels.  20 lb flour on the MH and 14 lb flouro on the M.  Each rod was about $200 and the reels were $199 each.  Whew!   But I could not stop there.  Oh no, I found a used Loomis GL2  805 JWR in perfect shape for $100 so I just had to have that too.  I took them to the lake and I was really please with each of them and can't wait to hone my skills.  Still, I felt that I lacked at least one more rod and my online studies indicated that I was missing what many consider the standard by which many rods are compared -- Loomis's IMX MR783C.  So,  after starting off looking for the 2 rods that I thought I needed to get started, I now have 5. 

For reels, I tried the Revo SX, Revo STX, Shimano's Curado and Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool.  I like the Lews the best and I have it left handed.  All of my flyfishing was left handed retrieval so I guess that is what I am most used to.  And, I really like it that I don't have to change hands  --  especially when pitching  and flipping as I am learning to do.    Okay, now I still need a cranking rod and a swimbait rod.   The next one is likely to be Dobyns Champion  Swimbait in a 7'9" MH   -- the 795SBMT.  Also more reels, more line (braided and mono ).   There looks to be no end in sight.

OkeechobeeAngler

loomisguy

+1 good choices.. If your looking for a all around crank bait rod check out the cbr 845, also makes a nice spook rod even a jerkbait rod if you don't mind the length.
  If you want a DD22 , 6XD ect. rod I'd look at the Mojo glass big crankster..It's not a rod for the faint of heart but it will flat throw em.

earldogg

Very, very good choices, you have some sweet sticks there, and some nice reels. There is alot of choices in cranking sticks,  glass, composite, and graphite. I prefer graphite, an all purpose cranking rod id choose would be a avcc70mhmf, gl.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: fshrjmpn on January 18, 2014, 10:23:16 PM
Since my initial post in December, I have been doing a lot of online research, visiting local tackle shops, etc.  I appreciate the comments and recommendations from this forum.  In the end, I spent more $ than I wanted to .  As I noted earlier, I have spent a fair amount of time flyfishing and I have come to appreciate fine rods.  Fishing is fishing and a joy for me no matter what, but a fine rod makes the experience just extra special for me.  Of course, I am finding that a good baitcasting reel is as important as the rod with baitcasting and several different lines are required for different types of lures. 

For my first 2 rods I chose St. Croix's Avid series -- 6'8" Medium with XF taper (AC68MXF) and a  7'0" Medium Heavy with extra fast taper (AVC70MHXF).  On both these rods I put Lew's Tournament Pros Speed Spool Casting Reels.  20 lb flour on the MH and 14 lb flouro on the M.  Each rod was about $200 and the reels were $199 each.  Whew!   But I could not stop there.  Oh no, I found a used Loomis GL2  805 JWR in perfect shape for $100 so I just had to have that too.  I took them to the lake and I was really please with each of them and can't wait to hone my skills.  Still, I felt that I lacked at least one more rod and my online studies indicated that I was missing what many consider the standard by which many rods are compared -- Loomis's IMX MR783C.  So,  after starting off looking for the 2 rods that I thought I needed to get started, I now have 5. 

For reels, I tried the Revo SX, Revo STX, Shimano's Curado and Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool.  I like the Lews the best and I have it left handed.  All of my flyfishing was left handed retrieval so I guess that is what I am most used to.  And, I really like it that I don't have to change hands  --  especially when pitching  and flipping as I am learning to do.    Okay, now I still need a cranking rod and a swimbait rod.   The next one is likely to be Dobyns Champion  Swimbait in a 7'9" MH   -- the 795SBMT.  Also more reels, more line (braided and mono ).   There looks to be no end in sight.

You've gone and done it now. You've got the terrible affliction and addiction that is fishing. That sound you constantly hear over your shoulder is the Tackle Monkey. Now that you have already been bitten by him he will never leave you alone. Your life, and your wallet will never be the same again.  lo

P.S. - Excellent choices BTW.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

fshrjmpn

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 19, 2014, 03:00:03 PM
You've gone and done it now. You've got the terrible affliction and addiction that is fishing. That sound you constantly hear over your shoulder is the Tackle Monkey. Now that you have already been bitten by him he will never leave you alone. Your life, and your wallet will never be the same again.  lo

Yep, I know it and I don't even care.   Loving it.  Just add fresh air and sunshine.

bigfatsmallys

I to did this a few yrs ago and some of the people in here know me & when I started throwing a baitcaster I could neither throw 1 nor did I know if I was a righty or lefty. I got in during the Curado craze. Well long story short bought both 1 of everything and now have a bunch of lefty reels that are just sitting in their boxes  I have a Revo Premiere, couple Quantums that never has seen sunlight, that hurt but I know I'll get rid of them someday, These folks know everything fishing and finally got me set up. Couldn't even throw 3 ft.and man Eaglenests galore, still get them and still learning everytime I can go out. Skipping docks for me forget about it there aren't any on Lake Erie lo  But congrats on your new equipment & lifestyle, your gonna do just fine  ~cf
Never say no time to go fishin'