Need a New Spinnerbait Rod -

Started by cbburke, February 16, 2014, 04:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbburke

Just broke my favorite BPS Carbonlite Rod - I have been using this rod (7 feet/MedHeavy/Fast Action) for my spinner bait rod

I accident slipped today walking home and broke the tip. I have been thinking about just get the same rod since I am in love with it The Reason I love the carbonlite is that its so light and it does the job with my Abu Garcia Wrench Reel. Yes, I like it 5.4.1 since I reel too fast for it :)

but I thought I would ask you guys what would you guys suggest. I am going to wait until the Sales hits the classic to purchase one so I have plenty of time before the first tournament of my club in April 5th.

EDIT: Those that I have listed are the ones I am considering since I only have 200 buck for the year in fishing supplies since I am on budget this year :( so I would have to get this on Sale before April :)

$100 Rod -
Bass Pro Shops® Johnny Morris® Signature Series II Trigger Rods -7'2 MH/F
Bass Pro Shops® Johnny Morris CarbonLite - 7'  MH/F
Falcon BuCoo Casting Rods - 7' Med Hvy / Med-fast

High End - $250

Falcon Cara T7 McClelland Micro Casting Rod 7'2" MH
Dobyns Champ Cast Rod 7' MH 703 / Fast Action

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

LgMouthGambler

Its a great rod. If you were very satisfied with it, why not get another one?

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on February 16, 2014, 04:42:49 PM
Its a great rod. If you were very satisfied with it, why not get another one?

~cf

What he said.  :)
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Chip Harm

I fished with the carbonlite as a spinnerbaits rod and liked it....but I got a savvy 734 that I am using now.  Didn't go with the champion since I didn't feel like I need the sensitivity for the spinnerbait. 
But I agree with LMG...If you liked it before...I wouldn't change...just my $.02
Chip

www.elitetungsten.com

cbburke

That is what I was thinking ..and I might  go into that direction.

Thanks guys

BassmanRudy

I have the Johnny Morris Signaturey Series(1?? Cus I don't see a 2 on there and it's a few years old) 6'10" med hvy w Extra Fast tip rod for my spinnerbaits. Been a great rod and loads up well for casting and gives some when a fish hits. Have caught 9"ERS up to my PB of 9lbs w it!! I should find another one...

But like the others said- if you liked the other one then GET another one!! :-) bass "catching" to me is at least 80% being comfortable/trusting your gear!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Mike Cork

IMO the Champion 734 is the best rod on the market for spinnerbaits. However, if you like that one you were using, then there is no reason to change. If they didn't make it anymore or you felt you were lacking in feel, fish fighting capability, or castability then consider changing and I'd recommend the Champion 734.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cbburke

For the Champion 734 - Isnt that rod little stiff (Heavy), I thought that the best method is the MH, But would Heavy be too stud for it ?

your thoughts on it ?

would it be better to use 733 ?

steve76

The 4 power Dobyns is more of a MH than a H. They are rated 1/4-1 oz. It is labeled as a H but my 735 is labeled as a MH. I look more at the weight ratings than at whether it is labeled a H or MH.

Mike Cork

There are some cover concerns here as well. I fish in very heavy cover so I like my spinnerbait rod a little on the stud side. The 734 will handle any spinnerbait above 3/8 of an ounce. I can cast quarter ounce spinnerbaits on it fairly well but if I have a head wind above 10 mph I'll have to change rods or drop my line size from 17 to 12 pound test to effectively cast that small of a bait.

All that said, if you don't fish in much cover the 733 will be a good rod as long as you don't throw much bigger than a half ounce spinnerbait.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

H8R

If similar budget to the original  , and want something different... I think the St.Croix Mojo spinnerbait. it's the only decent rod in that line-up IMO.

cbburke

That is not a bad suggestion there about the mojo. What I dont like is the weight of 4.7oz compare to Carbonlite - I will keep that in mind when I decide during the Classic Sale.

laketrash

I have a Kistler KLX 6'9" MH that I like.
JUST FLOATN AROUND

H8R

Quote from: cbburke on February 17, 2014, 07:28:02 PM
That is not a bad suggestion there about the mojo. What I dont like is the weight of 4.7oz compare to Carbonlite - I will keep that in mind when I decide during the Classic Sale.

How much does the carbonlite weigh in the same size/action?

KC5TTC

You might want to check out the Denali Rosewood 6'10" Spinnerbait Rod.  I have one and love it. 
Bill Hockaday

Denali Rods /  Zeko Shoes / GreyGoatLures.com / OutdoorsmanDirect.com / Porter's Lotion / Livingston Lures

H8R

Another good choice... Crucial . Super light, great componets and affordable, tie all of that inot the Lifetime warranty and its a great deal.

cbburke

Just called BPS and I found a forum that says the Carbonlite Rod is 3.8oz

whats another oz makes a difference :) just lose one oz of your own body weight to make up the weight LOL.

Down4ttown

I think the carbonlites are good but not the same level as some mentioned. If you want light go Irod Air.

H8R

Quote from: Down4ttown on February 18, 2014, 06:19:54 PM
I think the carbonlites are good but not the same level as some mentioned. If you want light go Irod Air.

I agree , Carbonlites aren't on the same level. I have an iRod air that I love. It's a medium action though , so I can't speak for the one suited for  spinnerbaits.

Down4ttown

I have the 7ft heavy action for pitching heavy jigs or frogging. Irod air is another level of light. Not as sensitive as my DX but worth the 150 I paid for it and then some.

basssfishing

If I were you.. I would go with a Denali Rod. They are affordable, at $129 they are overall great rods, performance wise, and also looks. Go check some out, if you have any questions feel free to message me.
A bad day on the water, beats the best day at work.

cbburke

Was looking at the 13 Fishing Omen Rod that tacklewarehouse has it on sale due to the classic :) 

What do you guys think of that rod ?
Im considering getting the 6'7 or 7'1 MH rod
for the Spinnerbait set up I have.

Thanks

H8R

Quote from: cbburke on February 24, 2014, 01:49:11 PM
Was looking at the 13 Fishing Omen Rod that tacklewarehouse has it on sale due to the classic :) 

What do you guys think of that rod ?
Im considering getting the 6'7 or 7'1 MH rod
for the Spinnerbait set up I have.

Thanks

Great rod, great price point. I just ordered 2. : )

cbburke

what would you suggest ? 6'7 or 7'1 ?

It will be mostly for open area and short - so I am thinking 6'7 ?
all of my rods are in 7' range except one which is my chatterbait rod as 6'9

H8R

Quote from: cbburke on February 24, 2014, 09:36:02 PM
what would you suggest ? 6'7 or 7'1 ?

It will be mostly for open area and short - so I am thinking 6'7 ?
all of my rods are in 7' range except one which is my chatterbait rod as 6'9

I'd prefer the 7'1", I pitch and flip spinnerbaits so I like the extra length

Gwamba

Quote from: KC5TTC on February 18, 2014, 08:42:07 AM
You might want to check out the Denali Rosewood 6'10" Spinnerbait Rod.  I have one and love it.

I liked that rod at the Fishing show...maybe even more as a chatterbait rod...The 6'9" Kovert was really
to my likeing but is selling like gangbusters. I heard Denali was out of stock until April on those.
Dobyns Rods   Piscifun Reels   Xcite Baits 
Rapala  Strike King

cbburke

Just got back from Bassproshop -

Verdict was the Carbonlite Rod

I have decided to get a smaller rod which is 6'9 MH Extra Fast Action.
I hope that it will improve my strikes :) and most of my casting rods are in 7' Range.

Side Note: I also sneaked this home as well, 6'0 BPS Extreme Rod (MH with Fast Action) for Jerkbait/Skipping under docks which I am going to test them out right now :)