Questions about Jackplates.

Started by Deadeye, April 01, 2014, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye

I plan to order a new boat at some point in the future. Other than being able to adjust it more easier, what is the advantage of going Hydraulic vs Manual?

Average cost difference between the two?

In reality once you have it set do you ever adjust it enough to justify the additional cost for hydraulic?

I'm looking at going with a Ranger Z118c with a Merc 150 4-stroke. None comes stock on this boat, so would be an add-on.

Never had a plate before so any comments are welcome.

Polaris425

I read a really good comparison thread somewhere. I think it was on the basscat site though, so be careful going & reading there b/c if you do your z118c might turn into a Sabre FTD or Panterra. ;)
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Deadeye

Geeze lots of you guys have these and no one has any opinions on them? Come one Guys!

West6550

Sorry man.  I have a manual that came on the rig set the way it is.  I have not touched it.  I wished it was hydraulic a few times when in shallow water.  Like on Okeechobee...

Polaris425

http://basscatowners.yuku.com/topic/27703/Jack-plate-question

Took some lookin but I did find the thread.... Again, it's on BCB forum but, info is still good.
Fishin' Alabama

Deadeye

Thanks both of you, but especially Polaris for taking the time to find that link. I have heard the hydro is better for shallow water adjusting and deep rough water running, but it seems that most guys just use it to set at optimum then leave it there. I don't know if I will ever fish a lake where I could get into 6 fters or not where I would need to lower it down. Personally unless I just got caught out already on it I wouldn't go out in that in the first place. I got caught in 3's the other day in my small boat and that was scary enough with the water busting over the bow every wave. 6's ? No way.

Don't know if I could justify the cost difference, which all depends of what the end costs of each would be. Truthfully don't even know if I need one, just figured it would be easier to add Power-Poles on later by myself with one, since I've no way to pull the motor any more.  Might be cheaper just to pay to have them installed than add a Plate I don't really need????

Polaris425

Yeah I would think the $ would be better spent on upgraded graphs or something of that nature.
Fishin' Alabama