Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Ranger Trailer brakes question

(Read 6375 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Chip Harm

• Charter Member
  • UBCS Champions 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019
Thought I would ask the smart folks here.  I have a 2004 Ranger 520 DX, as of two trips ago the brakes stopped releasing when backing up the driveway...had to get out and turn the back-up switch manually and they still were not completely disengaged.  I am thinking the bypass isn't working for some reason but I know very little about the functionality on these..

Any Ideas??

Chip

www.elitetungsten.com

Bigwrench

• CM Community Diplomat
  • "Your Mileage May Vary"
Chip assuming that ours are the same , when you place your truck in reverses there is an electrical bypass solenoid that allows the tongue to depress without applying the brakes . I would check your trailer plug output to make sure you have 12v going to the release solenoid when your reverse lights are on . Also listen for it to click while someone else puts the truck in reverse. Mine is inside of the removable tongue and is grounded through the tongue. If you have 12v and no click. Check ground side, if you have both you probably have a bad solenoid.
  When I get home I'll upload some pictures of mine but the truck has a 7 way round and I have a 7 way to 5 flat adaptor . The last extra (5th) pin is the trailer control solenoid iirc.
Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:31:48 AM by Bigwrench
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Chip Harm

• Charter Member
Thanks BigWrench.  I will check it tonight or tomorrow...  I think we have the same one...
Chip

www.elitetungsten.com

BassBUFF

• LM Community Diplomat
  • '07 LEGEND LE195 w/200 Opti
Are your back up lights working? If so your truck, plug and trailer plug are good. It uses the same wire/signal. If the ground is good on the solenoid, then it's probably bad. Had to replace mine last year. Think it was $55 to my door.

The Bassmeister

• Smallmouth
Are your back up lights working?
  Not sure but you could have a blown fuse. I had the same issue when I bought my 519 last year,  I checked everything and was ready to cut into the wiring harness on my truck then thought I would sleep on it.  Next morning took it to Ford garage and I found out I was missing a fuse, my old boat was only a 4 wire plug and the 519 had a 5 wire plug so I didn't think about the darn fuse not being in.
Ranger 519VX 200 Optimax

Cross her eyes!

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
I had to add a fuse on my 2007 Expedition as well.  This is in the manual and was informed about it from the dealer when I bought the truck.  The fuse was actually provided in a kit with the vehicle.  I currently use a 7pin round to 5 pin flat adapter cable and with the added fuse have never had a problem.

The Bassmeister

• Smallmouth
I had to add a fuse on my 2007 Expedition as well.  This is in the manual and was informed about it from the dealer when I bought the truck.  The fuse was actually provided in a kit with the vehicle.  I currently use a 7pin round to 5 pin flat adapter cable and with the added fuse have never had a problem.
As I recall thats what we did to mine.  Couldn't understand why they didn't put the darn thing in at the factory, trailer package seems pretty useless without the fuse, huh.
Ranger 519VX 200 Optimax

Cross her eyes!

Chip Harm

• Charter Member
Didn't get a chance to hook it up tonight.  However, I did notice that the white wire from the truck harness that connects to the trailer (ground I assume) had broken.  The solenoid only has one wire coming off it so I assume it is grounded by the connection to the trailer.  I will hook it up tomorrow and see what happens.
Chip

www.elitetungsten.com

BassBUFF

• LM Community Diplomat
White wire is the main ground between the trailer and truck. You really need this securely connected to the trailer. I'll bet your trailer lights have been flickering too. ;)

Bigwrench

• CM Community Diplomat
Depending on what tow vehicle your using you could have reverse lights and still have nothing coming out of the plug.For Example an 07 Silverado has a separate fuse for reverse lights on the truck and reverse lights at the trailer plug .

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Bigwrench

• CM Community Diplomat
Heres my 5 pin flat on the trailer tongue, I have a broken brake light wire inside the tongue so I had to take it off anyways and just gonna rewire the whole thing.The blue wire is the 12v to the bypass solenoid.

Also here's my bypass solenoid , the blue wire activates it and it is grounded through the tongue

You definitely need the white ground wire to be a solid connection.

BassBUFF

• LM Community Diplomat
Thanks for the pics and diagrams Rick! And you are correct on the reverse lights. Guess I should have explained better as I was referring to the reverse lights on the trailer, not the tow vehicle. ;)

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES

Bigwrench

• CM Community Diplomat
Thanks for the pics and diagrams Rick! And you are correct on the reverse lights. Guess I should have explained better as I was referring to the reverse lights on the trailer, not the tow vehicle. ;)
Heck Steve I didn't even know boat trailers had reverse lights . I guess that's whyni was thinking you meant the tow vehicle. :) sorry. That's a good idea and wish mine had em... I wonder if I could add 2 3156 bulbs to that ckt and not take away from the bypass solenoid ?
Solenoid is marked 12VDC 7watts .
3156 bulb is 2.1 amps and 26.9 watts . Guess I need resistance of solenoid to know ?
Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:50:43 PM by Bigwrench

BassBUFF

• LM Community Diplomat
That's the way mist of them are wired, but they're using LED lights for reverse.

Bigwrench

• CM Community Diplomat

That's the way mist of them are wired, but they're using LED lights for reverse.
Hmm LED strips would work great :)

Chip Harm

• Charter Member
Fuses are all good.  I did hear the solenoid have a faint click.  Ground wire is reconnected.  Steve, the lights haven't been flickering that I have noticed.  I did find a backup light was burnt out though. I will replace that tomorrow.  Thanks Rick and Bud for the diagrams.
Chip

www.elitetungsten.com

BassBUFF

• LM Community Diplomat
So did the ground fix it?

Chip Harm

• Charter Member
So did the ground fix it?

I didn't get a chance to pull it out and then back it in again.  I will do that tonight when I get home.
Chip

www.elitetungsten.com

Rangerman

• Ultimate Basser
One more thing. On most GM truck, burbs etc. there is a seperate fuse panel under the hood for trailer light. Back up lights could be working on the tow unit and not on the trailer due to blown trailer fuse :-*
Now to get you really messed up Yellow is Left bright, turn/brake, Green is Right bright, brown are light and marker lights with White as the ground the world around. lo Over 1/2 the trailer lighting problem come from bad ground.  There are two green wires in the the GM truck wiring the Dark Green is the right bright. The LIGHT Green is the back up light. Don't cross em up. To check the trailer you can plug the brake plug Male) in the the brown (Female) and turn your lights on and if brakes let you back it's in the tow unit. Confuse yet?? lo I have fixed a many a 12 wiring problem in and most are ground or blown fuse. Check the wiring in fold away trailer the rub and cause a short. Good Luck

Bigwrench

• CM Community Diplomat
I know it's been awhile but was wondering how this turned out Chip ?

Chip Harm

• Charter Member
It was the ground....I fixed the ground problem but it was hit and miss for a while. After some looking at it again,  i found the ground wasn't making a good connection.

Thaks for asking...sorry I forgot to follow-up.

Chip

www.elitetungsten.com