Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Some big smallie action

(Read 1566 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Steve81

• Largemouth
Yesterday, we stopped by a nearby lake to see if the smallies were moving up yet. Turned out to be one of my best days ever. I beat my personal best twice in 5 minutes. First, I caught one that weighed 5lbs 1oz then a few casts later, I caught another that was 5lbs 15oz! Nearly broke the 6 pound mark!

The fish came on a variety of baits. A pearl fluke, a Rapala countdown, and a Cotton Cordell HotSpot were the best producers. The bigger fish were caught on the HotSpot. I would throw it into 2 FOW and reel it at a steady pace but would rip it up anytime that I felt it hit the bottom or catch on something. Every bite happened immediately after I ripped the bait.

The best part about the whole day was that I was introduced to the lake by the guy that was fishing with me. He has fished this lake his whole life, kept it a secret amongst just a few friends, and has been in pursuit of a 5+ pounder the whole time. He swears that if he catches one, he's gonna have it mounted. Then I go and catch 2 over 5 pounds and released them both. He had a pretty tough time being happy for me. ~roflmao

2007 Triton Tr21X/225 Pro XS
Hijacker JP/25P Tempest
Lowrance electronics

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • UB Life Member & LSCR Club Member
Congrats to you and your buddy on the catching  ~c~ ~c~  Those are some very healthy looking Smallmouths  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat  Yamaha 25hp outboard
Personal Best 8.33lbs

BassMan83

• Largemouth
  • I'd rather be fishing!

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
Fun fishing there... Smallies over 3 pounds wi put a whoopin on ya much less five pounds! Congrats
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Steve81

• Largemouth
To be honest, the big ones hardly fought until I got them to the boat. The water temp was almost 55 degrees so it's hard to believe that the water was cold for them. They were very inactive though. I had to make them react to the bait. Unlike any other smallie outing, they wouldn't touch a tube or any other bait that I drug by.
2007 Triton Tr21X/225 Pro XS
Hijacker JP/25P Tempest
Lowrance electronics