Old River (Vidalia) Bass Fishing Reports

Started by bocraw, August 02, 2004, 06:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bocraw

Fished "old river" for the second time ever yesterday.  I was pleased with the fishing considering that we are in the middle of the dawg days.  Caught 5 bass that went 9 lb 10 oz.  Caught some trash fish too.  You can see pics at:

http://www.tmtanglers.com/Pictures/just_for_fun/Old_River_Vidalia/Old_River_Vidalia.htm

Tight Lines.

bocraw

Went to Old River Vidalia again today.  Only caught two bass.  I goofed and stuck with the wrong spot and pattern all day.  I was using spinnerbaits mostly and should have tried other techniques sooner, but the gar were biting so well I couldn't make myself stop.  I ended up losing several spinnerbaits when my line broke at the boat.  I did end up landing two.  I also hooked some on topwater, crankbait, jig, and worms.  So the gar were just aggressive today.  I think today was one of those days where I learned what not to do. 

Mike Cork

Something I have noticed here in Louisiana is that after a cold front sweeps there like the one two days ago, I am sure it hit you all too. Them gar get up shallow and get active, they sure are alot of fun but frustrating too because you do loose alot of lures if you don't use a wire leader or something. Hopefully in a day or two the bass will be back on.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bocraw

Went to Old River – Vidalia Sunday.  Only caught one small bass.  The water is low and I thought that should concentrate the fish.  There were bait fish everywhere.  I would have thought that the bass and stripe would be tearing it up.  But I couldn't find anything that worked.  The water was dirty and maybe that messed the fishing up.  I think I am done with Old River Vidalia.  Time for me to learn Concordia and Saint John. 

On a positive note, I saw the biggest flock of white pelicans that I have ever seen.  They must be migrating south for the winter.  I took video with my digital camera, but you can't see the horizon well and it doesn't do the experience justice.  It was cool. 

I posted pics and the video on my club's site:

http://www.tmtanglers.com/Pictures/just_for_fun/2004/American_White_Pelicans/Migrating_Pelicans.htm

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service