Worm rod :Fast or Extra fast?

Started by TNBassin, August 17, 2014, 10:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNBassin

Gonna relegate one of my Tatulas to worms and maybe a few jigs here and there, even though I have a Crucial MH XF worm and jig rod. I throw worms with anywhere between 1/8-1/4oz weight or jig head. Most of my jigs are 1/2-3/4oz. I like my XF OK when worm fishing, though the rod doesn't really load much with the weight I throw, so casting distance is affected a little but I normally fish from a boat. Should I stick with the XF as a jack of all trades worm jig rod, or go with a Fast action? The fast action crucial I'm looking at is only rated up to 3/4oz which is the heaviest jig I throw, but don't think it will have the tip to get a good hook set if I hook one deep. Help lol.

Tavery5

Quote from: TNBassin on August 17, 2014, 10:23:54 AM
Gonna relegate one of my Tatulas to worms and maybe a few jigs here and there, even though I have a Crucial MH XF worm and jig rod. I throw worms with anywhere between 1/8-1/4oz weight or jig head. Most of my jigs are 1/2-3/4oz. I like my XF OK when worm fishing, though the rod doesn't really load much with the weight I throw, so casting distance is affected a little but I normally fish from a boat. Should I stick with the XF as a jack of all trades worm jig rod, or go with a Fast action? The fast action crucial I'm looking at is only rated up to 3/4oz which is the heaviest jig I throw, but don't think it will have the tip to get a good hook set if I hook one deep. Help lol.

I am interested in your post for a couple of reasons, first, did you purposely use the word relegate, or would the word dedicate be more appropriate?  Relegate is usually associated with negative connotation and means to demote, banish, exile or assign a place of insignificance.   If used intentionally I would be interested in your thoughts on the Tatula. 

IMO, XF action does not define how stiff the tip of a rod will be and how much weight it will take to load the rod.  XF is generally a description of how much a rod will flex before reaching the backbone or power of the rod.   You may have heard people use the terms XF action with a soft/slow tip, or an XF action with a fast tip.  Both rods will flex to the same point on the rod before reaching the power of the rod, but one will load with a much lighter amount of weight. 

You only need to experiment with rods until you find one with the action you  prefer and will also load correctly within the weight range you intend to use.  My .02

TNBassin

Nothing negative on the Tatula at all. I just have an easier time using the Magforce z system for lighter weight stuff than my Curado Is.

Tavery5

Quote from: TNBassin on August 17, 2014, 01:49:33 PM
Nothing negative on the Tatula at all. I just have an easier time using the Magforce z system for lighter weight stuff than my Curado Is.

Cool, glad to hear you experience with the Tatula has been positive.  I agree with you that the Magforce Z braking is a good choice for lighter baits. Magforce Z has the ability to react quickly to changes during the cast such as crosswinds or changing bait resistance that sometimes occurs in baits with blades like spinnerbaits.   

Sorry to get off subject a bit.

TNBassin

One thing to note is that I use 10# yo Zuri hybrid 90% of the time, so I'm getting a little stretch vs the 12# red label I had spooled up.

Mike Cork

3/4 once jigs on 10 pound  :shocking: fishing conditions can be so different...  :-*

Anyway, back to the original question...

For Texas rigs or jigs, both require the hook to penetrate the weedless capability of the bait and then the jaw of a bass. So the faster and harder I can hit them, the better for me. Both applications require a XF tip for me for those reasons. If you are fishing open hook jigs or darter head worms a fast action is sufficient.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TNBassin

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 18, 2014, 09:11:31 AM
3/4 once jigs on 10 pound  :shocking: fishing conditions can be so different...  :-*

Anyway, back to the original question...

For Texas rigs or jigs, both require the hook to penetrate the weedless capability of the bait and then the jaw of a bass. So the faster and harder I can hit them, the better for me. Both applications require a XF tip for me for those reasons. If you are fishing open hook jigs or darter head worms a fast action is sufficient.

The Yo Zuri hybrid 10# is rated at around 16-17# IIRC. Thanks. I was leaning XF but wasn't sure, but I figured with the stretch yo zuri hybrid has that would be the way to go.