Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

MN jig fishing

(Read 2805 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

baileyjs

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I'm pretty new to bass fishing and totally new to jig fishing. I've fished mostly weightless texas rigged worms (with good success) and played with a few other type baits.  This year I want to start tapping into jig fishing. I played with a baitcaster last year and I'm pretty set on a Daiwa tatula 6.3:1. From all my research a 7' mhmf rod seems to be the way to go....any thoughts yes or no on the rod selection?

Also I'm wondering for MN bass what size jigs are you typically throwing 1/4-1/2oz ?

Any tips/recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks!

Dark3

• Charter Member
I would say no on the rod selection , if MF stands for moderate fast. A MH-F should suit you well however I am unfamiliar with diawa rods except my kids samurais lol

analfisherman

• Ultimate Basser
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
I agree with Dark!

Two things that tend to discourage new jiggers is, hook setting or spit outs and snags.

I highly recomend you start with NuJigs because Bo knows jig fishing better than anyone and his jigs eliminate both of the above concerns.
They are a Sponsor here (left side, 3rd from top) and Bo WILL answer any and all questions or concerns for you PLUS he has a TON of YouTube videos out.

I would start with 1/4oz. moving up to 3/8ths because these two weights you get the best 'feel' of the lure and will help you learn the nuiances of hitting rocks, limbs, sand, mud and structure easier.....and fish.  :)
Last but not least, everytime you feel ANY change in your jig...SET THE HOOK!!!
Later on you can be more finicky maybe but often times a bass will grab and swim as opposed to hammering it. Especially when flipping and pitching.
Don't get me wrong, they definitly will hammer a jig too!  lo

Grew up in LaCrosse so I've fished many a Mn. water body.

Good luck and have fun!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Dark3

• Charter Member
You need a champion 734 or 735 OR a dx744 or 745 and a curado 50e and a spool of 14lb flouro or 30 lb braid and a few nutechs as analfisherman said. If thats not in the budget atleast you have a good starting point to research

earldogg

• Largemouth
  • BCR854-TP1SHL
Jig fishing in this state is an absolute must. Some say fluoro, some say braid, I use both, heavy braid and fluoro in shallow, light fluoro deep water. Most time I'm using 1/2oz jig and let the trailor determine fall rate, if I want to go over 3/4oz, it's time for the punching gear. Rod powers are very different from one company to another, so try to find something that can handle 1/4-1oz  14-20lb line and fast,xf action. I'd also use a very fast reel, 30"+ipt, but that's maybe just my preference. Gl

baileyjs

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Thanks for all the input everyone!  There are so many options out there it's nice to have a "starting point". I  want something like what earldogg mentioned about being able to handle down to 1/4", and I am going to be getting some of the Nutech jigs.   I don't know that a dobyns is going to be in the cards this year, but any suggestions on a rod around $100. I've heard the abu garcia veritas is nice but some say it's like fishing with a broomstick....

Dark3

• Charter Member
Thanks for all the input everyone!  There are so many options out there it's nice to have a "starting point". I  want something like what earldogg mentioned about being able to handle down to 1/4", and I am going to be getting some of the Nutech jigs.   I don't know that a dobyns is going to be in the cards this year, but any suggestions on a rod around $100. I've heard the abu garcia veritas is nice but some say it's like fishing with a broomstick....
Have you looked at denali rods? I would and have gone with a denali jadewood. IMO its the best 100 dollar rod out there

CraigP83

I'd like to echo what some people are saying.

7' Medium Heavy/Fast Action
7:1 gear ratio
Start with 1/4oz jig

a Jig is one bait that I ALWAYS have tied on

baileyjs

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I'd like to echo what some people are saying.

7' Medium Heavy/Fast Action
7:1 gear ratio
Start with 1/4oz jig

a Jig is one bait that I ALWAYS have tied on

Craig,
why a 7:1 rather than 6.3?   Just personal preference? thx

CraigP83

It allows me to pick up slack line faster, also get the bait back to the boat faster so I can pitch the jig out to my next target. A lower gear ratio reel would work but there really isn't a benefit to it.

baileyjs

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
It allows me to pick up slack line faster, also get the bait back to the boat faster so I can pitch the jig out to my next target. A lower gear ratio reel would work but there really isn't a benefit to it.

makes sense!

RumRiverRat

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I fish 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4oz jigs.
From 1/4oz football heads with a light wire hook with a Medium Power Fast Action rod and 10 pound Fluorocarbon to 3/4oz with a 7'11" Heavy Power Flippin stick and 65 pound braid.
I dedicated myself to jig fishing in 2014, it has always been a weakness for me. Found a custom jig maker with a series of jigs I liked and used a jig 75% or more of the time last year.

Fished Pool 4 yesterday and used a 3/8oz with the flippin stick to fish heavy wood cover.

earldogg

• Largemouth
  • BCR854-TP1SHL
How did you do on pool 4? Craig and I have a tournament there soon. Any good ones? Smallie's or lgmouth?

RumRiverRat

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I caught 17 Largemouth. Nothing huge.

I am fishing that same tournament you and Craig are fishing.

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB