Pro's and Con's of using braid on Baitcasting reel

Started by Graf, June 04, 2015, 05:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graf

I use a 50lbs braid on my casting reel. Sometimes it will dig in and cause the birds nest. I use Spider wire.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Graf.

Pferox

PoPo Long Post Alert  PoPo

Two big questions to ask are:

1. How long has the line been on the reel?

2. How is my drag set?

If you start out with your line spooled on the reel as tight as possible, it will loosen up in the spool over time, kind of like a coil spring.  The amount of time it takes depends on the tightness of the spooling and the number of casts made, and how often you have a little looseness get reeled in.

Braid demands that you use a lighter drag than you would normally think, and use your thumb to stop the spool on hooksets, things like that.

I use 20lb braid on my baitcasters a lot and after a time I will notice that it will start to dig, even with a lighter drag and trying to make sure that it is reeled in under some tension every time, just the way line works on a winch.  When it does start to happen, I do the old tree trick, or some facsimile thereof.

Tie the line to a tree, or other immovable object and walk away from it allowing the spool to feed line out.  When you are at the end of the spool crank the drag down and reel yourself back keeping a bend in the rod.  This will re-tighten your line and make a solid base for the looser strands on the top.

Heavier line helps to keep digging in from happening, but it doesn't totally eliminate it.  It kind of extends the inevitable.  It is just kind of one of the maintenance things we have to do with line.

As a matter of fact, it can happen with non braids also, but line diameter and the fact that we change those lines usually more often than we do braids, we don't experience it as much.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

LgMouthGambler

Dig in due to setting the hook? Thats normal, it happens. You just have to lightly cast out the line, and the dig will come out. Then reel back in and recast normally.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Pferox on June 04, 2015, 06:36:58 PM
Tie the line to a tree, or other immovable object and walk away from it allowing the spool to feed line out.  When you are at the end of the spool crank the drag down and reel yourself back keeping a bend in the rod.  This will re-tighten your line and make a solid base for the looser strands on the top.

^ X2 

I use Spiderwire in 30 - 65 lb. on baitcasters with very few backlashes, but when I do get one this is what I do to fix it.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Jerod22

I have 50lb Suffix 832 on a jig rod and i will get a little dig when i set the hook.  I just cast my line back out and it usually comes out then i reel back in and go back to fishing.  I don't get a lot of backlashes unless it's my fault.

Capt. BassinLou

I use another brand of braid, never used spiderwire 50lbs before. That being said, with 50lbs some line digging can occur for one reason or another but not enough to be considered a problem. If your backlashing the braid was spooled to loosely on the spool, causing the digging. If the problem persists go try another well known brand and see if the problem stops.

MCS

I am with Pferox and Smallie....The line isn't tight enough. I have had it happen before do what they said to fix it.
Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

flowerjohn

I use spider wire thirty pound and I reset my line when it feels out of whack. I take my lure off and let all my line out the back of the boat while going at trolling speed. Then I just wind it back in. The resistance of the water puts it back on just right for me. I do the same with my spinning rods and it removes any line twist. Cheers.

Graf

flowerjohn

An old piker taught me this and it gets rid of the whole dig in while hook setting issue but you have to re train the way you fish. When you cast with your baitcaster and you are working your lure reel and while you are giving action open the caster under your thumb. Work the lure with the bail open and control the tension with your thumb. When you reel a bit engage the reel. On the down leave the reel open and use your thumb for control. When you get a hit let it run a bit, engage the bail and whack it.  We catch a ton of fish that way. Its all about the hook set baby!!!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: flowerjohn on June 08, 2015, 07:30:59 PM
An old piker taught me this and it gets rid of the whole dig in while hook setting issue but you have to re train the way you fish. When you cast with your baitcaster and you are working your lure reel and while you are giving action open the caster under your thumb. Work the lure with the bail open and control the tension with your thumb. When you reel a bit engage the reel. On the down leave the reel open and use your thumb for control. When you get a hit let it run a bit, engage the bail and whack it.  We catch a ton of fish that way. Its all about the hook set baby!!!

Never engage a reel when you are on free spool suddenly when there is line being taken. Thats just looking for disaster and damage to your reel.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

flowerjohn

I get what you are saying man that would be a spool off nightmare. Just use your thumb as control on the down only and then just gently click the bail back into place for the wham.

Lipripper

Quote from: flowerjohn on June 08, 2015, 07:40:58 PM
I get what you are saying man that would be a spool off nightmare. Just use your thumb as control on the down only and then just gently click the bail back into place for the wham.
Are we talking about Bait Casters or spinning reels :-\ I don't think a bait caster has a bail. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Lipripper

flowerjohn

flowerjohn

flowerjohn

Yeah that's standing on water. That's what we do here half the year.

flowerjohn

and those guys are not immune either. It's canada man.

flowerjohn

Lipripper

Them are some great looking fish .  ~c~ ~c~ I use to go ice fishing before I had both me knee joints replaced and now they don't like the cold.  ;D
Could you do me a favor . Before we get yelled at for being  ~off~ I get that a lot.. We have a spot for posting the other fish we catch  ;)

The Other Fish In Our Lives
I too fish for other fish beside Bass also and love seeing  ;PHO) just like yours so stop by there and post away. ;D
Thanks

LgMouthGambler

Nice fish there. Why did you white out all the background? Keeping the spot a secret? ~roflmao

flowerjohn

Thanks I will post them there. Still getting to know the site. Cheers.

flowerjohn

I will give you a hint. It's somewhere in canada

Skunked again

I have 50# power pro on all my baitcasters. After a hook set, make a short cast to get past the trouble spot, or pull a few arm lengths of line out, reel it back on tight.
If having this problem on the water, tie on a heavy Jig or deep diving crankbait,   this can help get line tight again.
Happily married. Two kids. Two dogs.