powder paint ?

Started by buzzinbass, March 21, 2006, 06:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzinbass

:help: I was wondering for all the ones out there  that makes their own jigs and paints them with powder paint. How do you keep  the paint out of the eye of the hook? If nothing how do you clean the eye out? If you chip the paint on the jig do you heat the jig up again and touch up or do you leave it alone?  :help:

bass1cpr

A small piece of masking tape over the eye before you dip it, or clean the eye before you cure it in the oven.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Fishaholic

this is probably nuts, but since I don't do mine in an oven I have a way of doing it that keeps the eyes free of paint.

I use needle nose pliers and grasp the eye of the jig firmly, then carefully heat up the lead via the flame of a candle, then dip it into the powder paint and the jig head gets paint, but the eye of the jig does not.

The same concept works if you're using a hot air source for heating up the jig. ;)

bass1cpr

Fish curing the powder paint in the oven is what hardens it and makes it more chip resistant. That's if ya want it to last longer.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Fishaholic

I haven't had any problems with it chipping or even scratching for that matter...of course the trick doing it my way is that the bait has to be hot enough for the power paint to instantly coat, melt and flow...but like I said, this works for me, but then I don't do more than 20 or 30 jigs at a time.

buzzinbass

Thanks never thought about using the pliers on the eye part I use the hooks to do mine but that's why i need to clean the eyes. I forgot to clean the eyes out before curing in the oven and now i need to touch some up and wondering what if would do to the rest of the spots when I heat it up again. guess i'll try and see what happens thanks again

BandDCustomLures

We have a large fluid bed and able to paint 50 or so at a time and with the paint being in fluidized it keeps it from clogging the eye.

But the easiest way to take care of the problem is to just run a paper clip through the eye before you bake them.

You can also repair the chips you just have to becareful.

You can get a single cup fluid bed a guy make on Ebay for $50.00 I believe everyone else is close to $100.00