Prep for painting.

Started by reddman, March 25, 2006, 06:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddman

I just bought some cranks that were on sell real cheap and wanted to try my hand at painting them.

How do you guys/gals prep these already painted baits for my painting?

Reddman.

Fishaholic

good question...I'd like to know too, cuz I got some ideas of what I'd like to see in a crank too and I airbrush, but the primer I tried last time didn't cut it.

reddman

I bought some rattle cans and will just go with what I know from my old model car days if I dont hear anything from here.

Fishaholic

I tried light sanding and Krylon Primer, but that didn't work...if you know a better product to prime em with give it up and I'll follow suit and we can compare notes.

reddman

Thats what I have done so far....I had to try one just cause I cant wait.....I got one of those block sanders with different grits and just scuffed it....It seems like the primer is holding on there....In the morning I will go with the chartruese......

Fishaholic

perhaps I'm too impatient...I'll try it again on another one.

reddman

From my old model car days....I paint, dry, sand if needed, and reprime...

Kal-Kevin

they were talk on Bass Teck the other day and said you need to lightly sand the finish so that the paint has something to hold on to. I can not remember the grit they were using but it was just enough to take off the shine. then he just painted then with a light coat of primer let dry over night then did the finish and pattern he wanted on them.

hope this helps out.  ;)

Fishaholic

Thanks Kevin...I'll try it that way and post the end result when I've got a good one...

What were they using for a seal coat?

Kal-Kevin

a clear polyurethane is what they said was the best, it helped to hold the paint on too.

buzzinbass

i think the epoxy top coat from barlow's or stamina would work to. I't's a 2 part epoxy I've used it on jigs but make sure your done handling it when you apply it til it dries good

Fishaholic

thanks for the info...I need a really good topcoat, because the pigment I airbrush with is a polymer vinyl and each layer of color is only approximately 0.001" thick, so it's susceptible to scratching.

BandDCustomLures

The best thing to prep the surface with is called Total Prep and is available at your local autoparts store and I think Walmart has it.
Laquer paints dry the fastest and to seal it off with a chip resistant finish pick up DevCon epoxy from Walmart or Home Depot.
It looks so good and will not chip even when you bang the heck out of it on the rocks.