Orders to Offutt

Started by jesse1378, February 16, 2016, 03:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesse1378

I know there hasnt been anything posted in here since 2014, but im gonna do it anyway. We have orders to Offutt and we will be there by 31 July 2016. Anyone alive in here from around there?

Steve81

I don't live there but I have a connection or two there that also happens to bass fish. What would you like to know? I could possibly relay some questions.

As far as I know, the bass fishing is decent there. Maybe not many bass lakes but they are at least quality when you do come around one. And because it's walleye country, not many people chase bass and, therefore, the bass are hardly pressured at all.

jesse1378

I don't have any real specific questions yet. Just looking around trying to remember names of places people recommend. Names of clubs. Things like that. I like looking around learning as much as i can about a place before i get there. I like being able to pull up at the lake and feel like i know where i am at because i have see it in pictures or have read about it. Plus i just like to talk fishing. My excitement keeps going up and down. The base lake is 115 acres. That is the biggest base lake i have had a chace to fish. Excited. Heard it was good fishing. Even more excited. Can't put my 12ft jon boat in the pond. Bummer. lol.

Bassthumb

Offutt used to sponsor intramural fishing, but that died years ago.

The best club (IMO) to look at would be River City Bass Club http://www.omaharivercitybassclub.com/.  Everything about it is on that site.

Fishing is good in the state, but the area of SD, IA, MO, KS all within 4 hours has a lot to offer as far as fishing goes.

The base lake is full of smallmouth...and zebra mussels.  No boats allowed anymore.  You are supposed to purchase a Base Lake permit from outdoor rec to fish there.

There are a few other clubs in town, you can look on the NE Federation Nation site http://www.nebraskabass.com/home/nebraska-clubs for those.

Feel free to contact me on here or the River City webpage (I am the club secretary).  Been here since '97.
Retired USAF MSgt (1W071A)            2008 Triton Tr-196
Plattsmouth, NE                  Mercury Optimax 200
B.A.S.S   NE B.A.S.S. Federation   FoMNTT participant (never again)                   Omaha-River City Bass Club

jesse1378

Thanks for the links. Ill check out the club. I read earlier today about the no boat thing. That is terrible. Might have to look into getting a kayak.

Steve81

If you feel like you're not very excited about Offut, just know that there are people like me that are at Minot. It could be much worse.

For real though, in my 12 years and counting of AD experience, I've only met one person that didn't like Offut. Everyone else calls that place the best kept secret in the AF. Good luck to you and know that this guy is jealous.

Bassthumb

Gadzooks...I have been retired for 13.25 years... (from Offutt).  Well, I was stationed at Myrtle Beach in the 88-92 era. Closed it.  THAT was the best kept secret in the AF.  Offutt/NE gets all four seasons...Winter, 2 days of spring, Summer, and two days of fall. Lots of things to do, good restaurants, night life, sports, but no pro sports, concerts, etc. 

Where are you coming from, Jesse?  Do you have a boat (bass boat)?  Do you hunt?
B.A.S.S   NE B.A.S.S. Federation   FoMNTT participant (never again)                   Omaha-River City Bass Club

Bassthumb

coldfront

Quote from: Steve81 on February 17, 2016, 04:45:46 PM
If you feel like you're not very excited about Offut, just know that there are people like me that are at Minot. It could be much worse.

For real though, in my 12 years and counting of AD experience, I've only met one person that didn't like Offut. Everyone else calls that place the best kept secret in the AF. Good luck to you and know that this guy is jealous.

steve,
anyone spending time in/around Omaha who chases bass will be pretty pleased.  Lots of great opportunities on smaller bodies of water.

then, there are some great lakes just a short drive over into Iowa, down into Kansas...  and if a longer trip is possible, I continue to talk up Roy Lake region in South Dakota.  Or over at the Iowa great lakes (Okoboji, etc)

around omaha, very little quality walleye fishing... key species are bass and cats.  crappie in the spring run small.

the list of lakes is long 
Nebraska:  Standing Bear, Cunningham, Zorinsky, Wehrspann, Walnut Creek, Carter Lake, Prairie View, Prairie Queen, Wanahoo, Summit

Iowa:  Viking, 12 mile, Three Mile, Pony Creek, West Osceola, Anita, Browns, Blue...

Kansas:  Pony Creek-Sabetha, Sabetha City Lake, Banner Creek

Lots of places to get to with just a short drive 30 minutes or less)...  even more if you expand to a 1-2 hour drive.

have caught bass over 5# in just about every one...

and catfishing can be pretty good as well if that's your thing...  for a ton of fun, don't overlook the carp. 

Steve81

Quote from: coldfront on July 25, 2016, 10:06:44 AM
steve,
anyone spending time in/around Omaha who chases bass will be pretty pleased.  Lots of great opportunities on smaller bodies of water.

then, there are some great lakes just a short drive over into Iowa, down into Kansas...  and if a longer trip is possible, I continue to talk up Roy Lake region in South Dakota.  Or over at the Iowa great lakes (Okoboji, etc)

around omaha, very little quality walleye fishing... key species are bass and cats.  crappie in the spring run small.

the list of lakes is long 
Nebraska:  Standing Bear, Cunningham, Zorinsky, Wehrspann, Walnut Creek, Carter Lake, Prairie View, Prairie Queen, Wanahoo, Summit

Iowa:  Viking, 12 mile, Three Mile, Pony Creek, West Osceola, Anita, Browns, Blue...

Kansas:  Pony Creek-Sabetha, Sabetha City Lake, Banner Creek

Lots of places to get to with just a short drive 30 minutes or less)...  even more if you expand to a 1-2 hour drive.

have caught bass over 5# in just about every one...

and catfishing can be pretty good as well if that's your thing...  for a ton of fun, don't overlook the carp.
That's good to know because I could possibly be coming there early next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coldfront

Quote from: Steve81 on July 27, 2016, 07:23:31 AM
That's good to know because I could possibly be coming there early next year.

I'm stuck in Tennessee, forced to fish Chickamauga, Nickajack with occasional forays over to Guntersville.  ah, the burdens I must bear...  ;D

that said, I miss those omaha area lakes... they're all a bit different... if/when you get down there, fire up the questions... I can speak to 'what I used to do'... although we might take it to PMs

Steve81

Will do man. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boydn1

Don't want to Hijack but, I was at the Beach from 82-92.  Learned to Bass fish down there.

To the OP, I've heard nothing but good about Offut.  Beat of luck

Quote from: Bassthumb on February 18, 2016, 09:01:56 AM
Gadzooks...I have been retired for 13.25 years... (from Offutt).  Well, I was stationed at Myrtle Beach in the 88-92 era. Closed it.  THAT was the best kept secret in the AF.  Offutt/NE gets all four seasons...Winter, 2 days of spring, Summer, and two days of fall. Lots of things to do, good restaurants, night life, sports, but no pro sports, concerts, etc. 

Where are you coming from, Jesse?  Do you have a boat (bass boat)?  Do you hunt?

Bassthumb

Boydn1, I was in weather on MBAFB. I fished the Maccamaw a few times, and the inlet some for flounder.  I hunted a lot while there, in Buist, and Francis Marion (Waterhorn unit) and up in the Piedmont a few times.  Was there for Hugo!  I deployed to Bentwaters, Italy, and Desert Storm while at the Beach.

jesse1378

Hey guys. Sorry I have not been on. Thanks for all the information everyone. I like it so far. I'm fishing as a guest with the small boat bass club. I have been fishing once. I went to the base lake. We live on base so it was the closest option. I have a 12ft Jon boat, but not all my stuff is unpacked so I'm not sure where my battery charger is. Until I get everything unpacked I'll probably stick with the base pond. I have always had really good luck at base ponds once I get them figured out. Tried to attach pics but it won't let me. Says it is the wrong file type. I did catch a smallmouth and a largemouth on my first trip so I am ahead of the game

Bassthumb

Our club is always looking for Co-anglers. Check out River City at http://www.omaharivercitybassclub.com/.

You can PM me for more details.  I also live on a lake in Cass County (not Beaver) and can fish at any time.  If you are not on a standard daily work sched, PM me and I can take you out for an excursion most any day.

Welcome to our patch!