1988 Ranger 395V - Questions

Started by postmortem01, February 18, 2016, 06:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postmortem01

I found this diagram that shows a "trim limit switch" inline with the throttle trim switch. This seems like a limit switch setting issue to me but this is my first boat so I'm not sure how things work on these suckers.

Bigwrench

Quote from: postmortem01 on March 30, 2016, 11:50:07 AM
Unfortunately, mine stops trimming by itself before it hits bottom. This only happens when I use the trim on the throttle or up at the front of the boat. The trim on the motor works properly.
Ok that's what I was wondering. It does sounds like an issue with the switch in the handle or wiring in that case but not 100% sure , does your Ranger have the wiring diagrams inside the rear battery compartment on the lids ? That may help. I have photos of my old 90 330v wiring schematics if you need them.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

postmortem01

I'll have to look at the inside battery compartment lid. Truthfully, I didn't even notice if there was a drawing in there.

postmortem01

Ugh. Ok. I'm so confused. I must have a bad switch or something in the throttle. I don't know. Took the boat out on Sunday (yesterday) and the switch worked fine. The motor tilt worked perfectly. The wiring checks out from the motor to the throttle and to the front of the boat. I'm at a loss. The only think I can think of is the switch on the throttle control.

I bent the crap outta my MotorGuide Tour edition trolling motor shaft. I feel like punching myself for that one. I gotta try to straighten that sucker out. I bent it early in the day and it was unusable all day. I forgot to fold the motor up before taking off and  hopefully, that's the last time I ever do that. :'(

postmortem01

Oh! I also installed the new battery charger. It works great! It was well worth the $150. ProMariner ProSport 20 - 3 bank charger. Fantastic. I threw away those other crappy chargers.

Bud Kennedy

Well, it sounds like you are making steady progress and earning Dufus merit badges that all new boat owners earn.  Believe me when I say we have all done exactly the same thing.   lo

postmortem01

Yeah. That was a total bummer. I hope I can bend this sucker back to straight enough.

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: postmortem01 on April 05, 2016, 10:30:21 AM
Yeah. That was a total bummer. I hope I can bend this sucker back to straight enough.

I would not depend on having much success with bending it back.  Good luck in your efforts but I think I know what the outcome will be.

postmortem01

Good news. I was able to bend this back. I used a straight edge to check straightness each time I applied pressure to the shaft. It was bent in two areas. Mostly best at the point where it goes into the top shaft tube. It had a slight bend on the lower. I used two blocks of wood under the shaft and a big C clamp with another block of wood on the top. I crushed it down and repositioned the blocks after each test.

I don't think it's perfect but I can't tell that it's bent at all visually or when I use it.

Pferox

Good deal, glad you saved a few bucks.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

postmortem01

I took the old girl in for new carpet. I tried to pick something that was close to the original but apparently I'm a little color blind because now, it doesn't look like it matches. I'm okay with it at this point (because I don't have a choice). The carpeting guy did a good job and turned it around in 4 days for $900. I just need to get the gel coat repaired and the new cover made.

I was going to build a more permanent deck extension but after using the plywood temporary, I think I will just fiberglass it and carpet it the same color as the rest of the boat.

Bigwrench

That looks great , what kind of carpet did the use ?
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

postmortem01

You know.... I don't know what kind he used. I know it's marine grade but I don't know what brand.