Over Heating IMAC

Started by Bud Kennedy, April 13, 2016, 01:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

A while back, My hard drive gave up the ghost so I had a new one installed and at the same time I added more memory.  These upgrades have created a bit of a thermal deal with my IMAC.  It seems that when you replace the hard drive that the fan control process is no longer operative.  The system was getting very hot and from time to time would lock up.  While researching the problem, I learned of a piece of software called SMC Fan Control.   It seems there are three fans in the IMAC and this software enables one to select the fan and set up the speed of the fans and at the sometime monitors the temperature inside the system.  I downloaded and installed last evening.  The software was free and it is doing a great job.  The fans are all working again and I can see by an onscreen display what the system temperature is.  Sure would have been easier if Apple would have let me know this without having to discover it on my own.  Oh well all is ok and I am just glad to hear the fans operating.

Princeton_Man

The SMC should be reset anytime an internal component replaced or upgraded. There is a thermal sensor attached to the hard drive with an adhesive and it should be attached to the new replacement drive when it's installed.

Sounds like the tech failed to re-attach the sensor. -Jim
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club