Xpress 18 ft explorer with 115 Yamaha SHO porpuse

Started by Fishing Junkie, May 30, 2016, 07:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishing Junkie

Hello everyone.
This is my first question that I hope you can answer. I have a 2015 xpress Xplorer 18 ft with a Yamaha SHO 115. At about 40 mph it start to porpuse really bad and if I keep trimming the motor up it gets worse. I don't have a trim gauge yet so I don't know how much trim I'm using before it starts propusing. I have put a hydrofoil stabilizer on the motor and it helped a little but not much. The loadout is a few rods small tackle bag, a couple life jackets, 3 batts, 18 gallon of gas and 2 people. I tried filling the front livewell and it did help but not much.
So my question is how can I get the porpuse out of the boat so I can use all the trim it has ?

Thank you very much in advance

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hi y'all I'm chase.
Current boats are a 2016 Xpress Xplorer 115sho Yamaha a 93 startos 201 pro XL 225 Yamaha hpdi which is mine and dads also an assortment of Jon boats.
Tow rig is a 86 Chevy cucv m1008 (military surplus K30) or one of my dads trucks depending on the day lol. Been fishing, hunting, trapping and playing in the mud my entire life.

Mike Cork

Proposing is a sign of over trim. Not all boats can or need to run "full" trim. My Legend runs about 2 mph slower at full trim.

If you want to be able to use all the trim it has, then you'll need to drop the motor height some.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Fishing Junkie

Ok.
Thank you Mike.

I did a little measuring and the center line of the prop is about 7 3/4 inch below the pad.
I'm used to driving glass boats and I could always full trim the motor and get good results. That's why I was thinking I should be able to trim the motor all the way. I think the sweet spot on a startos 201 pro XL is 3 3/4 so that had me kind of confused.

So would a Jack plate help?

Thank you again

Hi y'all I'm chase.
Current boats are a 2016 Xpress Xplorer 115sho Yamaha a 93 startos 201 pro XL 225 Yamaha hpdi which is mine and dads also an assortment of Jon boats.
Tow rig is a 86 Chevy cucv m1008 (military surplus K30) or one of my dads trucks depending on the day lol. Been fishing, hunting, trapping and playing in the mud my entire life.

Mike Cork

Wow that seems really low. It might be a case of being to low? I don't know for sure but that's really deep.

Jack plates help because they make it easier to make adjustments. Hydraulic jack plates help even more because you can lower for quick hole shots and the raise for top end.

Because over 7 inches seem really deep to me, I'd call the manufacturer and ask them what the recommended motor hieght should be.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Fishing Junkie

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 02, 2016, 06:57:00 AM
Wow that seems really low. It might be a case of being to low? I don't know for sure but that's really deep.

Jack plates help because they make it easier to make adjustments. Hydraulic jack plates help even more because you can lower for quick hole shots and the raise for top end.

Because over 7 inches seem really deep to me, I'd call the manufacturer and ask them what the recommended motor hieght should be.
That's the same thing I was thinking. On the startos 201 pro me and dad have it has a jack plate with 4 inch set back and we have the prop I think 3 and 3/4 down. It will fill trim without walking around. It has a 225 Yamaha Vmax hpdi. I guess I will be calling Xpress.

Thank you for the help

Hi y'all I'm chase.