Gary, 10 foot rods?

Started by Mike Cork, October 04, 2016, 11:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Gary, I seen your piece in the BASS Times about the 10 foot rods. Eponymous?  :surrender: I had to look that word up  ~b~

I was surprised to read that you didn't feel it will change the game that much. You touched on the obvious ability to cast larger swimbaits and crankbaits further which makes sense, but I had a couple questions for you.

First, at what point do you think rods get so long the rod becomes cumbersome or creates more difficulty in working a bait or playing a fish. Sure it could cast a mile but if it's awkward to retrieve a bait with, it would seem counter productive?

You mentioned in BASS Times that the extra length wouldn't be useful to flipping and punching. When Mr. Thomas introduced this technique he used very long rods. If there wasn't a restriction placed on them in the beginning, do you feel the market would have went to the 8 foot range through natural progression of the technique anyway?

Lastly, what about shipping a rod this long. Will you need to change shipping prices to cover the extra length? I was told that anything over 8 feet requires special shipping rates, is that true?

Lastly, anyone reading this can jump in with your thoughts on the increased rod lengths :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lee Smith

I would think most of the rods will be telescopic, they could easily get 2' less out of that.
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Mike Cork

Back in the late 70's early 80's a true flipping stick at 8 foot was telescoping. Would definitely help with the shipping. I always felt it wasn't as sensitive as it could be.

Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Gonna need 20ft decks on boats to get a running start to cast like they do when surf casting.  ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FloridaFishinFool

My whole issue with longer rods is one of leverage.

The shorter the rod, the less leverage a human has to muscle it to hold it. But when the lever (rod in this case) is lengthened, it amplifies the pulling power of a fish on the line making the fisherman holding the rod require greater strength and effort when fighting the fish.

I ran into this problem when I purchased a 7' 11" IROD Fred's crank launcher.

That rod hurt me. My muscles in my arms were so sore for the next three days I stopped fishing. Granted, I am getting older and now in my 50's so I am losing muscle mass, but I discovered longer is NOT necessarily better.

I sold that rod immediately. Great rod, but too long for me. I now use rods 7' 2" or shorter and I have found that an ideal rod length for a person of my size and strength is 6' 6" to 7'. So this is where I will keep my rod lengths at regardless of what others are doing.

Let younger, stronger men fight those long "levers" working against them. I don't think I will ever purchase another rod longer than 7' 2" again. I would have to start lifting weights and increase my muscle strength to do it.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Mike Cork

That's a very interesting case you plead. I personally find I have a lot more control over a hooked bass with a longer rod. I believe a rod can get too long for working a bait, but never felt hampered with longer rods in actually catch fish. For me, a longer rod typically has more tip action that fights the fish making it easier on me. Again for me, a longer rod takes up line faster improving my hook sets and pulling fish away from cover easier, giving me control quicker.

To me they also overhand cast much easier. Side arm and roll casts can get cumbersome but launching cranks, rattle traps or larger surface baits, a 7.5 to 8 foot rod actually makes it easier for me.

Cork's Reel Service

flowerjohn

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 05, 2016, 04:22:41 PM
That's a very interesting case you plead. I personally find I have a lot more control over a hooked bass with a longer rod. I believe a rod can get too long for working a bait, but never felt hampered with longer rods in actually catch fish. For me, a longer rod typically has more tip action that fights the fish making it easier on me. Again for me, a longer rod takes up line faster improving my hook sets and pulling fish away from cover easier, giving me control quicker.

To me they also overhand cast much easier. Side arm and roll casts can get cumbersome but launching cranks, rattle traps or larger surface baits, a 7.5 to 8 foot rod actually makes it easier for me.

If we are talking strictly bass fishing on this length I don't see the added benefit of such a long rod. My longest for heavy cover is a 7'6" st croix and I agree it's a lot to throw for along period of time. If you are talking salmon lake trout etc. That to me is 10' territory because you really need that extra long shock absorber and typically you are trolling it, not casting it. For bass it seems too cumbersome for the supposed benefit. Just two pennies from a FC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Dobyns

I'm really glad that BASS finally made a change on a totally outdated rule left over from the boat on boat draw tournaments. Pitching has replaced an need for long tule dipping rods as they were called. Shipping any package over 9' gets very expensive, more than double. I can see long rods for Swim baits, Crank baits, and Float N Fly but I just can't think of any other techniques that it would come into play. Okay, maybe A-Rigs but I wouldn't personally do it. The other problem is weight, balance, and sensitivity in a 10' plus rod. A 10' rod would have to be telescopic or two piece. There is a way to make two piece with tip section coming apart just above reel seat or front foregrip. I don't see this new rule making a big change in our sport except for Crank baits and swim baits. I can see a change for baits like the 10 XD but that's about it. I wonder why they even made a restriction to 10 footers. No back seater to worry about in the Elites and its same for all, so why not simply drop the 8' rule like many organizations have done?

civicrr

Interesting thread. 

Speaking of telescoping rods, I remember my buddy was in love with his telescoping rod until I got him to try my DX795.  He was just so brand loyal it took him forever to realize the benefits of light weight & balance.

For the techniques I primarily fish, I'm not really seeing the benefits of a 10' rod.