A VERY EFFECTIVE DROP SHOTTING TECHNIQUE!

Started by analfisherman, December 05, 2016, 11:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

analfisherman

Drop Shotting is mostly used by most as a finesse presentation.
Although great for this it can also be used for power fishing too!
Another challenge for drop shotting newbies is when fishing rock the sinker gets snagged often.
PLUS THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO DROP SHOT FROM SHORE!!!!  ~c~ ~c~
(this is why I started using this as my go to set up)

*** Please check your local Fishing Regs. to be sure it is legal in your area or simply call your local DNR to confirm it's legality.***

Now assuming you are familiar with Drop Shotting........bottom weight with a center bait (usually plastics) attached above with a Palomar Knot.

This presentation can also be used as a traditional 'Drop Shot Rig' too!!!!!

So instead of using traditional Drop Shot weights I use a jig as the weight/sinker.
I use a NuTech...NuJig (https://nutechlures.com/) because I've found it to be the by far most versatile jig.
It prevents snagging rocks as well as works through vegetation very well with out getting the veg. hung up on jig.
But use the jig of your choice, football head, grass jig, etc. but NOT A BALL HEAD jig and weedless works best.

Next choose your favorite plastics for the center bait.
Finesse worms, flukes (my favorite), swim baits, etc. In fact due to the recent rage on drop shotting many companies have specific drop shot plastics now.

Here's where things vary from traditional drop shotting!
You cast the rig out like a traditional jig set up.
As opposed to just dropping over the side of a boat.

Let the jig settle with a semi-tight or tight line.....you want to be able to feel the lightest of bites.
Now jiggle the rod tip and hesitate for like 20 seconds and repeat.
NEXT, hope the jig up with the rod tip starting at 2-3 o'clock position up to 12 o'clock position and repeat the jiggle and wait step. Continue until you get back to shore/boat.

Now if that isn't producing, drag or crawl your jig after the initial settle and wait after cast.
Vary speed on different casts just like you would a traditional jig with varied stops and hops and jiggles on the way back to shore/boat.

Hence POWER FISH it back.

The equipment I use for this:
7' to 7'3" Med. power FAST ACTION spinning rod
Weight
NuTech Jig 1/4oz.-3/8oz
Hook
Spin cast drop shot hook.....1, 2 1/0....varies based on center bait (highly recommend or use a similar tip drop shot hook...many on the market now......BECAUSE it GREATLY REDUCES LINE TWIST on cast
Center Bait
Favorite.....SK Caffeine Shad
Finesse Worm......I use hand poured but your favorite is best for YOU
Stick Bait whacky rigged....softer the better...I use Yum Dingers

I tie the hook generally 12"-24" above jig......longer can be used but the you have the line twist challenge.
Before casting BE SURE TO stop and let jig settle behind your back on an overhead cast......again helps prevent line twist'

Advantages
You don't fall asleep waiting for a bite. lo ;)
Can drop shot from shore
Let's fish tell you if they are bottom feeding or suspended
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Smallie_Stalker

Great tip Joe!  ~c~

Most people really limit themselves when it comes to drop shot techniques, yet there are so many ways to use it. It makes a great bed fishing presentation for instance.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

twocold

Joe,
Great tip but in the past I have had issues with the palamore knot. I found this one and it has never failed me and makes the hook stand out much better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8B9v1YIZs

analfisherman

Quote from: twocold on December 05, 2016, 05:38:39 PM
Joe,
Great tip but in the past I have had issues with the palamore knot. I found this one and it has never failed me and makes the hook stand out much better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8B9v1YIZs

Ya me too, that's why I now use the VMC Spinshot Drop Shot hooks now.
They also help avoid line twist when your shorebusting or long casting the bait.

Mustad has a no twist....Trokar now has a Helix Drop Shot Hook......Decoy has A similar......

But some I'm going to try next season (ya, WI. has hard water moving in) is the
Gamakatsu Swivel Shot G-Finesse Drop Shot .....It allows you to change leader length without re-tieing.

Before the swivel shot I used the Stand Out Drop shot hooks.

That knot you showed looks good though........AND CHEAPER. lo

Mike Cork

Now this is something that could put extra fish in the boat for me :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lipripper

Good idea Anal and it sounds a little like one of the river rigs I use to use for Walleyes that worked good.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

analfisherman

SELF PROMOTION TIME!

Don't forget to nominate AND COME BACK AND VOTE FOR ME IN THE TIP CONTEST!   ;D lo ;D

Oh and in Aug. this year I caught a double one day Using a Caffeine Shad on the center and a NuJig as weight and caught a 20" smallie on the Shad and a 22" LGM on the NuJig.

AND LEFT MY CAMERA SAFELY IN THE CAR.  :( ~xyz ~rant ::)

I can't even describe the rush of catching doubles of ANY SIZE.........they always seem to run opposite directions and you'll swear you got a 10+ pounder on.
Now if one is a SMALLIE........ :shocking: :o :shocking: :o

Lipripper

Quote from: analfisherman on December 06, 2016, 11:21:27 AM
SELF PROMOTION TIME!

Don't forget to nominate AND COME BACK AND VOTE FOR ME IN THE TIP CONTEST!   ;D lo ;D
Give me an A Give me a N Give me an A Give me an L
ANAL...ANAL he's our man if he can't do it no one can   ~roflmao ~roflmao

tooboocoo

"But some I'm going to try next season (ya, WI. has hard water moving in) is the
Gamakatsu Swivel Shot G-Finesse Drop Shot .....It allows you to change leader length without re-tieing."

I'm only asking this because I know there are no stupid questions here.  ~sweat  But, how do you attach your leader to the lower part of this hook?  ~sweat  Thanks

Smallie_Stalker

You just thread the line through the larger part of the opening and pull it downwards into the narrow part. This way if your weight gets hung you can just pull and the whole leader will come out and you don't lose the hook/swivel setup.

Here's a little trick I came up with If you're using expensive flouro as your leader and don't want to lose the entire leader. Tie a small overhand knot in the flouro leader about 1/2 inch above the weight and one in the end of the leader that goes into the swivel. Snug this knot tight to the swivel. If your weight gets snagged and you pull, most of the time the flouro will break at the overhand knot above the weight and you will save $$ on the amount of flouro used. Of course you still lose the weight, but that is a risk with drop shotting anyway.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

BassTrap316

I like this tip. I've seen it before but never really considered it until now. In the deep, clear lakes that I fish, I'm frequently torn between using a jig or a drop shot. Might as well use both! ;D I could see fishing it on some casts like you would a drop shot and other casts like you would jig. I think it would be interesting to see how many bite the opposite bait you're holding in mind during the retrieve. I could see the drop shot bait calling the fish in from afar while the jig gets the bite too.

analfisherman

Hey ANGLERS.......I'm not seeing this tip getting nominated in the Tips Contest ........YET!

Don't make me nominate myself...........you know I WILL!  ~roflmao

BassTrap....thank you for the comments.

I refer to it as 'Power Drop Shotting'.

AND DON'T FORGET TO GO BACK AND THROW ME A VOTE TOO!  ;D

Lipripper

Quote from: analfisherman on January 04, 2017, 03:34:00 PM
Hey ANGLERS.......I'm not seeing this tip getting nominated in the Tips Contest ........YET!

Don't make me nominate myself...........you know i WILL!  ~roflmao

BassTrap....thank you for the comments.

I refer to it as 'Power Drop Shotting'.
You mean you haven't yet. lo lo

analfisherman

WELL, WELL.........SELFISH PLUG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;) ::)

I was going to put more tips in.......but held off.

So you anglers know what the winnings go to.

SO I SHAMELESSLY REQUEST YOUR VOTE!  ~roflmao

More important, THIS PRESENTATION WILL TRULY PUT MORE FISH IN YOUR BOAT/Possession!

Even if your VOTE goes to another TIP...........be sure to give this a try!!!!!!!!!!

If you have ANY QUESTIONS......feel free to PM me and I will GLADLY answer any and ALL questions.

Bassun67

analfisherman

Many thanks for the tip. I never used dropshot rig before but decided to give it a try this year. I was thinking to use "G Finesse Swivel Drop Shot Hook" or a simple dropshot hook (first hook) and G Finesse wacky head 1/8 oz" (bottom hook).

I was preparing for this rig in the past 3 months, including tested it in a bucket to see how the 2 baits swims. As I often use Z man ElazTech so I have to choose a (hook+bait) combination to keep the upper bait+hook suspending in water. The z man soft plastic is buoyant so I need a proper weight of hook to keep it suspended.

As I have not used it before, my thought is to let the 2 baits have a different falling rate and see which the fish will bite more.

My rig that will be tested:

A ML rod (daiwa steez stz 661mlfs; 6'6'')
Upper hook:   "G Finesse Swivel Drop Shot Hook" + Z man finesse wormz.
Lower hook: "G Finesse wacky head 1/8 oz" + Z-man BatwingZ

The 2 tails of Z-man BatwingZ are heading up in the water. My only concern is whether the lower leader can securely attach on the lower part (needle shape) of the G Finesse Swivel Drop Shot Hook. Probably an overhand knot will be needed. Any suggestion?

~~~~~

I am new here. I checked the contest link but it seems I am not able to vote.

Lipripper

Bassun67 why can't you vote  ~shade I think you should be able too.

analfisherman

Bassun67, first off THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUESTIONS AND VOTE! (we'll figure that challenge out ;) lo)

Here's my thoughts on your question.

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!     ;D ;D

Now for the challenges I foresee.

The G Finesse Swivel Drop Shot Hook even though they tout the ease of switching to different depths....it was also designed to allow the sinker to release easier so if/when it gets snagged you don't loose the whole set up......just the sinker. (reason I use the VMC SpinShot hook)

So YES I would definitely tie a knot on the lower appendage of the swivel...I would probably use a cinch knot or something rather than just a 'overhand' knot.

Remember, your going to often get a double (2 fish) and trust me......they will swim opposite directions and the better the knot on lower part of swivel the better chance of getting them both in!

Next, have different weights of G finesse wacky jigs available or a mushroom head or shaky head jig along to test different drop rates and/or being able to 'crawl' the Wings along the bottom like a crawfish.

The reason I use a jig, usually 1/4 oz., is I want to see if the bass are bottom feeding or more suspended. 
AND it allows me to 'power fish' the set. (I ignore that I have a suspended bait attached) and fish the setup just like I would a jig. (I refer to it as 'Power Drop Shotting')
I use a 1/4 oz. NuTech ProJig most often.

Next, you may want to experiment using a Midwest Finesse Rig (Ned Rig) using Bo's Crappie Jig https://nutechlures.com/index.php/crappiejig1-8.html as the bottom weight.
I'm going to this season, using a ShadZ on lower setup. (now MAYBE a BatwingZ too lo)

GREAT IDEAS, GREAT QUESTIONS!!!!!!! ~c~

Lipripper

cport

My vote put you in the lead! Been drop shotting since San Diego, 2001, deadly in those deep clear reservoirs. Now that I am in Florida, I think this tip will definitely be effective.  Thanks!
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Bassun67

analfisherman

Thanks for your suggestions. 2017 will be my DROPSHOT year!  ;D ;D

analfisherman

cport....Thank You very much for the VOTE!

Have a GREAT year fishing my friend!

Bassun67

analfisherman

Just a thought. Have you had experiences about "mojo rig" but followed with 2 separate leaders with a hook behind? (photo: http://vbsf.ipbhost.com/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-20255-004684600%201297786984.gif)

I believe it would be also interesting to try soft plastic lures with different buoyancy. I What do you think, in term of sensitivity of bites, ease of cast, etc? I will also try this year, too.     

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassun67 on January 31, 2017, 08:09:03 AM
analfisherman

Just a thought. Have you had experiences about "mojo rig" but followed with 2 separate leaders with a hook behind? (photo: http://vbsf.ipbhost.com/uploads/monthly_02_2011/post-20255-004684600%201297786984.gif)

I believe it would be also interesting to try soft plastic lures with different buoyancy. I What do you think, in term of sensitivity of bites, ease of cast, etc? I will also try this year, too.   
Now you done it you gave Anal something else to research. lo lo

analfisherman

I can't get pic up.

So I'll have to go by what 'I think' your talking about.

First a Mojo rig is a split shot rig with a thin cylinder shaped weight instead of a split shot.
Often refereed to as a 'Finesse Carolina Rig'. But you use bobber stops so weight doesn't slide.

Now a 'Double Mojo Rig' uses a three way swivel with weight above swivel and two different length leads & usually baits. (this is what I think your asking about, Double Mojo).

The concept and idea are GOOD........casting it...............A NIGHTMARE!
(If you elect to do it, be sure to use a real smooth LOB cast.....still will cause challenges though)

The challenge is the two leaders/lines continually get twisted around one another.
You spend more time untwisting lines than fishing.......and if you get a bass on one lure the twist becomes an even greater knotted mess.

I know this because I fish a river that has current for Smallies with a three ring swivel......one with a dry fly and one connected to a small swimbait jig head (1/8th oz.) and a 2-3" paddle tail minnow/swimbait.

Have I caught fish....yes.

But you are continually untwisting and worse yet.....after a fish or after casting a while you (I) end up cutting the leads and retieing a new lead/s on.

Maybe good for a trolling rig...which I've NEVER done....but a shorebusting rig..?????????

A Double Fluke rig, may work, which has a swivel that slides up and down the main line....instead of using two flukes you could use a jig or swimjig on main line instead and a fluke or Elaztec bait on the other line.
But this would be a cast and retrieve presentation so the baits are always moving.......else you'll probably run into the same nightmares mentioned above.

Lip....didn't even have to research this............well, actually I've been doing A LOT of research on Double Fluke Rigs yesterday......oh ya, that thread's coming soon!!!!  lo lo

Hope I helped.

Lipripper