A fish story I barely believe

Started by Mossive, December 23, 2016, 09:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossive

Fish story: All my gear is in my truck which is in the shop (another longer story).

I'm using my daughters pink walmart $20 special. Put some 10# braid on it and went to the local pond. Hour and a half of worms and only one bite.

I find a lipless rattle trap stuck in the grass and threw it on. Half hour if nothing and the sun begins to set. I hear a fish jump and swing around to see two more chasing some baitfish. I haul over there and cast. WHAM! She's on! This little pole is bending real good so I eased up on the drag. We fight, she tires I get my first pic. Easily 3.5 or 3.75#.

Next cast same spot, the pole bends in half and the drag runs off! I'm panicking as neither the pole nor the line are prepared. Longer fight and I almost jump in the water after this monster. My personal best!

caddyjoe77

Nice fish!  Did she break 5?  Some of my best fish have come from a lipless crankbait. You'd think I'd throw one more.

Additionally, some of the best fish are caught when we least expect it.  Which, kind of says something about "letting the fish tell you what they want" in a paradoxical sort of way.  The more I fish, the more I figure out that it is a lot like golf, in that the harder you might try to hit the ball the worse it is but if you maintain the tempo you are golden.  Fishing, the more you try to catch something...the more you put pressure on yourself and do not necessarily pay attention to what is going on around you.  I am really guilty of this, as well as the "well this should work" or "this worked the last time"

BeerMe

West6550

zippyduck

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Congrats... those little kid fishing outfits are fish catchers.  lo

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

There is always a way  ~bb congrats on the catch!

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Mossive

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on December 23, 2016, 10:28:57 PM
Nice fish!  Did she break 5?  ...

i think so, i dont have a scale but i have held some 5lb and 6lb infants in my day and she was right up there with them.

I guess i need a hawg trough and scale :)

cortman

Congrats!! That's pretty funny- catch your PB on a little pink walmart rod! :)

cojab

TTK has spoken.

Lipripper

That's a nice looking fish and it's fun catching them on small outfits gives you a challenge.  ~bb

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

zippyduck

Great story.
Some of my biggest have come on a small rod built for crappie fishing and it makes the fish feel like tarpon.
Way to keep your cool to land that one.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

big g

Great job on light stuff.  30 years ago I would use a zebco 20/20 reel and a 5'6" rod for my top water rapalas.  Caught a ton of fish, they cast a mile, and fun at the same time.    Don't need to spend a lot to get the job done.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.