1/8 Oz cranks what rod power?

Started by West6550, December 24, 2016, 09:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West6550

I want to toss sone smaller poppers and 1/8 oz Rapala F7's around.

I am looking for what rod specs I should be looking for. Not a brand..

What length, power, tip?

I plan on getting a Dawia SV as the reel.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: West6550 on December 24, 2016, 09:48:50 AM

What length, power, tip?

7ft  M with a Fast tip. It will help you whip those lighter lures. That F7 is light!! I personally throw that little lure on a spinning outfit.

West6550

Quote from: Bassinlou on December 24, 2016, 09:52:39 AM
7ft  M with a Fast tip. It will help you whip those lighter lures. That F7 is light!! I personally throw that little lure on a spinning outfit.
I hate throwing spinning rods now lol

I guess I could just do that and save the money though? Hmmmm

Do I want a SV105 and a custom flippin rod or a SV105 and a M rod for light baits.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: West6550 on December 24, 2016, 09:56:24 AM
I hate throwing spinning rods now lol

I guess I could just do that and save the money though? Hmmmm

Do I want a SV105 and a custom flippin rod or a SV105 and a M rod for light baits.

Spinning outfits are not in my main arsenal any more, but in certain situations they are ideal more so than a B/C. I know I will catch some flak from the B/C community, but for fishing really..really light lures, the spinning out fit is superior imho. Especially for a F7 or smaller F5 Rapala.

As far as how you will be better served with a SV 105, I will pass that question over to LMG.

analfisherman

Med. Ex. Fast action.  7'2"-7'6"
Med. Lite with a fast or extra fast action would work too, same lengths

But I too prefer using a Spinning Set Up for something like that too.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Kris

There was a time in my life that I didn't own or use a spinning outfit, not so today.  I have two spinning outfits and both have certain applications.  One is my custom rod that was built for me.  A 6" 10", High Modulus Graphite blank.  This rod also has the Microwave Guide System on it.  Medium Heavy with a fast tip used mostly for Wacky Worms but sometimes light jigs and smaller crankbaits.
Other rod is a Berkley LR Shock, 7', Medium with a slower tip that I use for mostly Ned Rigs and some light crankbaits.

In my opinion, for 1/8 oz lures I would go with a 6' 8" to 7', Medium to MediumHeavy with a fast tip.  Nowadays I would suggest a spinning outfit but that decision is up to you.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

West6550

This settles it thanks!! I am going to use one of my spinning rods and my next rod will be a custom Flippin rod.

West6550

Had a M spinning rod in the garage.. well the wife uses them time to time.. lol

So I took a reel off one and put it on the M rod.

Plus side is it's a 2 piece so I stuck in a side locker on the boat. So I will have it for small cranks and when the wife joins or meets me at the dock it is on the boat.

SFL BassHunter

Yeah I think going spinning for those is a good plan!
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Tavery5

Spinning equipment works well for throwing lighter baits.  One thing that may need to be considered is the IPT of the spinning reel.  Spinning reels typically take up much more line than a casting reel of a comparable gear ratio.   Light/small crankbaits do not do well when worked too fast.  Just something to keep in mind.

Lee Smith

If you don't go spinning, Medium XFast is pretty much your only option in Baitcaster.
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

caddyjoe77

as far as reels go, I would take a look at the Shimano Aldebaran 50 or an older core 50.  I too, was looking at the SV105 but was talked out of it by Mr Daiwa himself. 

I can throw small scatter raps a good distance with that reel and 8 pound flouro. 

BeerMe

earldogg

I use a kistler klx70mlmf with a daiwa pixy type R  for 1/8-3/8 cranks and it is perfect. Have landed a 9lb pike with this set-up and it held up just fine.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Kris on December 24, 2016, 10:31:08 AM
There was a time in my life that I didn't own or use a spinning outfit, not so today.  I have two spinning outfits and both have certain applications.  One is my custom rod that was built for me.  A 6" 10", High Modulus Graphite blank.  This rod also has the Microwave Guide System on it.  Medium Heavy with a fast tip used mostly for Wacky Worms but sometimes light jigs and smaller crankbaits.
Other rod is a Berkley LR Shock, 7', Medium with a slower tip that I use for mostly Ned Rigs and some light crankbaits.

In my opinion, for 1/8 oz lures I would go with a 6' 8" to 7', Medium to MediumHeavy with a fast tip.  Nowadays I would suggest a spinning outfit but that decision is up to you.
I would go with spinning also, they are versatile. I carry 5 6'6" to 7'2" med. lite, med and mh, just depends on what I want to do.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bassindude

Not a fan of the hay balers either Thomas, except for pan fish.  That being said, for super light lures, crappie size stuff, spinning is the only thing that i have found to be practical.  My aim sucks with them.

Jim
Jim ><///'>><///'>

Tavery5

Quote from: Lee Smith on December 24, 2016, 09:29:37 PM
If you don't go spinning, Medium XFast is pretty much your only option in Baitcaster.

I am curious about your recommendation of an XF action for fishing crankbaits, especially ones this light.  Can you share a little bit about your thoughts.

Tavery5

Quote from: West6550 on December 24, 2016, 09:48:50 AM

What length, power, tip?

Falcon makes a few very good rods for this type of bait.  One that is less expensive and would do a fantastic job at casting these baits is the Falcon BuCoo SR Casting Rod 7'2" Med Hvy Moderate Fast Action.   

Moderate and Moderate Fast action rods are much easier to load with lighter baits which allows you to use more of the rod during the cast, the length of the rod also offers an advantage as well.   Treble hook baits like crankbaits are best fished with slower action rods that bend deeper into the blank because they help the small treble hooks from tearing holes and coming loose, they really keep fish pinned much better than a F or XF action rod.   If you find a MH powered rod would over power the expected size of the fish you intend to catch or the environment you intend to fish in, then drop a power.

I am hoping someone will explain their thoughts on the recommendations for an XF rod.

West6550

As I mentioned I don't care what brand.

I have a preferred brand of rods. I wanted the action.

I already have several MH and M rods both in 6'6, 7' & 7'6 they throw the small baits okay but not great. Which is why I asked this question.

I can toss weightless worms and such a mile. Some reason little 1/8 and less cranks are tough to toss.

Thanks again everyone. I already swapped to a spinning reel.

No more answers needed lol

Lee Smith

Quote from: Tavery5 on December 25, 2016, 01:00:59 PM
I am curious about your recommendation of an XF action for fishing crankbaits, especially ones this light.  Can you share a little bit about your thoughts.

The XF action gives you that initial hook up strength, then the Medium power will take over too keep the fish from pulling out.  If you have a weaker action you have a good chance of misses from not having that initial power. 

It's outside the box, but it works been using one for years along with other guys that I've talked into it  lo

Tavery5

Quote from: Lee Smith on December 25, 2016, 06:49:15 PM
The XF action gives you that initial hook up strength, then the Medium power will take over too keep the fish from pulling out.  If you have a weaker action you have a good chance of misses from not having that initial power. 

It's outside the box, but it works been using one for years along with other guys that I've talked into it  lo

Think we will have to agree to disagree on this my friend.   Crankbaits are set with a sweeping hookset, the fish almost set the hooks themselves in my experience.

Lee Smith

Quote from: Tavery5 on December 25, 2016, 08:08:01 PM
Think we will have to agree to disagree on this my friend.   Crankbaits are set with a sweeping hookset, the fish almost set the hooks themselves in my experience.

Many have sir  lo  Many have also tried a different approach and found the box is round  ;)

fishandkamp

I understand you have put together a setup. I suggest you go and try it out. Depending on how old that reel is.  you might want to take a look at some of the newer reels on the market. I hear lots of people say they hate spinning gear and what they are thinking of was an old heavy Mitchell 300. Nothing wrong with that reel, but it does not compare to a modern spinning reel. Even one of the best on the market, from the 90's like a Daiwa SS1300 series reel has been left behind. While my SS is still silky smooth and works perfect, it is not even close to the reels today.  Take a look at a newer Pflueger, Daiwa, Shimano, or Okuma.  I just recently purchased an Okuma RTX-30. It has a tough carbon fiber body, 8 bearings, buttery smooth drag and is available in different sizes and gear ratios. I also have a Shimano Symetre and about 7 Pflueger President which belong to my wife and myself.  The Pflueger reels are a bit heavier but have all metal bodies and 10 ball bearings. That Okuma only weighs 6.6 ounces. Match that up with a rod like a St Croix Avid X 6'8" mxf and that combo will allow you to comfortably fish your light cranks and any Senco or lightweight texas rigged plastic all day. Remember the Avid X rods have a bit softer tip than other manufacturers so the medium-extra fast works great.  I usually have between nine to a dozen baitcasters in my rod locker but I also usually have 2 spinning in their for special purposes. Really light cranks, grubs, Ned Rigs are all important tools at times.