Hyd Jack Plates

Started by wrknapp, December 24, 2016, 01:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrknapp

First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone!
Now for the dirt, or question. I have a Ranger 521VX with a merc 225. I'm generally not a speed guy so the 225 provides more than enough top end speed wise. Hole shots are what they are, I'm able to get on plain quick enough for my taste.
My question is cavitation. When in rough water, cavitation occurs more than I would like. This can be a problem when trying to get on plain. Would a hyd. Jack plate help or eliminate? These are expensive not to mention I've read that these could create structure problems.
The last thing I want to do is purchase one and see little or no change. There are other things on my wish list that could make life better...🤑 (Kidding) life is good and my Ranger makes it even better...
Has anyone experienced cavitation such as I'm describing? If so, did adjusting the prop depth remove it?
Thank you in advance.

Mike Cork

Typically yes. The hydraulics allow you to really tuck the motor down under the boat and improve your hole shot and prevent cavatation. Basically it allows you to lower the motor below the turbulent water coming from the boats hull. Once on pad, since its hydraulic, you can raise the motor to increase top end.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

wrknapp

Thanks Mike, any thoughts as to which (mfr) jack plate is the best or ones that have minimal problems? From what I have read it seems as though these are having problems. Is this true or are these just singled out disgruntled owners?

blkfalc4

Bob's Machine Action Jack
6" or maybe 8"

I run a 6" as that's what Ranger recommends.
2005 Ranger 519VX w/200HO Etec

blkfalc4

Get the hole shot plate for it too.
2005 Ranger 519VX w/200HO Etec

Mike Cork

I'd call Ranger and speak with them about which one. I run a Legend and different year models run better with different plates. There are slight angle differences and a 1/4 slope can make a huge difference.

Lots of good ones out there but I couldn't point out a specific one for your rig.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service