Finally have both the SC70 and the CU70 dialed in

Started by rockchalk06, February 22, 2017, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockchalk06

I don't consider myself an expert, but I can handle a baitcaster. Been doing this gig since I was like 10. I have had a considerable hellova time getting these little reels dialed in. Normally on the 50's, or any Shimano for that matter, I can run 2 tabs on and the external dial to 2-3 and be set with no thumb. The older Shimano's I run 3 on 3 off with the same results. Not with these two little buggers.

After some trial and error, I have whooped these reels. I had to use these reels an exact 190 from how I use my SC/CU 50 E Series, but I'm happy now.

I've always wanted a dedicated Rage Rig. I found this Shimano Crucial on sale for 99 shipped and basically stole this NIB CU70 XG for 150 shipped. I've added a Met 96mm handle, Met Shimano Knobs with 4 bearings, bearing on the worm shaft and tuned the spool. Rod is a 6'8" MHF but has (to me) what feels like an XF tip. Perfect for this technique. I spooled it with 10# Yo-Zuri Hybrid and it feels great. 3 Tabs on and 3 on the External Dial. Little to no thumb at all.

Next was the Scorpion 70 XG. Basically the same reel, but the SC has much better bearings. I paid retail of 175 on it and had it shipped from Japan. I added a 95mm Ray's Studio Carbon Fiber handle, 4 bearings in the knobs, bearing on the worm shaft and some dress parts. Spooled it up with OG Power Pro in 30# Red. Its on a 13 Omen 6'7 MF for now. This will be my Top Water and Jerkbait set up for now. I need to sell a gun first or save this summer for a LSCR. I was able to run this hot rod with 2 tabs on and 2.5 on the external dial with little to no thumb. I don't know if its because the line is stiff or the bearings are that much better, but I had to use less breaking force on this one over the CU70.

FloridaFishinFool

I have tried just about every braking system out there, and for my way of casting the new Shimano SVS braking system is a perfect fit for me. I love it.

Presently, even with ceramic hybrid bearing upgrades -which takes all of 5 minutes or less to do- I use only one brake shoe and the externally adjustable dial set at 4, which is very minimal and I can cast a country mile over and over without fear of backlashes- even in wind like yesterday was not a problem.

It has proven itself to me with every cast I make.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

LgMouthGambler

They are finicky little reels. Oh well, I dont have to worry about that anymore. Back to my VBS 50s.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Smallie_Stalker

Red braid on this one reel with red accents, blue braid on another reel with blue accents. If you ever do a reel in purple like LMG you're gonna be in trouble 'cause I don't think anyone makes a purple braid.  ;) ~shade lo
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 22, 2017, 03:59:03 PM
If you ever do a reel in purple like LMG you're gonna be in trouble 'cause I don't think anyone makes a purple braid.  ;) ~shade lo

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Smallie_Stalker

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 22, 2017, 04:36:23 PM
Well, I stand corrected.  ~sun   And pink too.  :surrender:

Both of those braids are purple though one looks more like violet or pink. Here is their pink for ya:

rockchalk06

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 22, 2017, 03:59:03 PM
Red braid on this one reel with red accents, blue braid on another reel with blue accents. If you ever do a reel in purple like LMG you're gonna be in trouble 'cause I don't think anyone makes a purple braid.  ;) ~shade lo

Purple is not allow in this house hold lo

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rockchalk06

LgMouthGambler