Young angler looking for a break. / Advice

Started by TboneBassin, January 11, 2017, 01:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TboneBassin

So as I move through my college career i see guys getting sponsorships and being added to all these different pro teams. So I am curious to what a young like me needs to do other than make a name for himself on the lake. So I am not quite sure this is where this post belongs but I'll give it a shot. So give me your thoughts and advice on this and help me out a little bit.

Lee Smith

First thing you have to do is catch!  Always remember that!! 

I'm old school, I always called the people that have helped me over the years when I was on the trail, now days I'm pretty sure it's email and social media. 

Talk about what you use, in other words practice talking with people.  Do Not try to represent someone you don't fish often.  Represent the companies and people that help you catch fish with their product.

Put together a resume, not a BS I'll help you do this, that, let them know who you are, what you are and where you are in your fishing.  Tell them you wins, your losses, how active you are in what and where you stand in standings.

If you are good, if you catch, and if you let the world know how you caught and what you won, still today in this crazy busy world, they will find you!

And don't expect anything, be gracious for everything, enjoy life, fish on!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

TboneBassin

Thats actually really good advice Mr. Smith. So when I build this resume and I am listing stuff what are somethings that you would highlight and then how would you get it out there to people. For instance I am 21 years old and I not a technology genius but I am fairly good with social media and emails, but what are some other ways to maybe make myself a little more well known. Like maybe forums or bragging boards???? Not per say those two examples only.

Lee Smith

Quote from: TboneBassin on January 11, 2017, 02:23:41 PM
Thats actually really good advice Mr. Smith. So when I build this resume and I am listing stuff what are somethings that you would highlight and then how would you get it out there to people. For instance I am 21 years old and I not a technology genius but I am fairly good with social media and emails, but what are some other ways to maybe make myself a little more well known. Like maybe forums or bragging boards???? Not per say those two examples only.

Send emails to companies which you use their product and push their product, ask them 'their' procedure for field/pro staff. 

If they don't answer, call, show you are really interested!

Keep copies in envelopes, when your at a tournament that is sponsored by someone you use, hand them the resume, let them know you use their product, let them know you are personable.  Nobody will give a hoot about anyone that can't talk to them, why?  That's gonna be your job when you get on staff.  Any company person at any tournament (used to be the big fund raiser tournaments were the best places, I would think still are) should know who you are, what kind of person you are and that your a catcher and a promoter. 

Also, your not going to get 'deals' when you start, your going to get % off, some free, but they will ask the world of you.  The ones that make it, play the game, give it all, do what they have too. 

Most your age expect way more out of a sponsorship than happens, then they get their feelings hurt and that's the end of it.  Don't be that guy!

Smallie_Stalker

Everything Lee said is spot on the money. Being that you are in college you should be studying business and marketing. Unfortunately fishing itself, and making a name for yourself in fishing has become a business. You need to learn time and money management and how to run yourself as a business. Making a name for yourself is what is called "building your brand" in marketing language. You need to learn to market yourself (your personal brand) to potential sponsors.

You are a business and only businesses that successfully market themselves succeed these days. It stinks, but it's the bottom line truth. The companies that choose to sponsor you will be businesses, and they will expect you to improve their business and market their products. If you can't do that for them on a consistent basis they will move on.

Sorry, I know this may not be what you wanted to hear but it is the harsh reality of fishing at a level where sponsorship are involved. And I believe in telling the truth.

This is not to say that you can't do it, because I believe that you can. You just need to have realistic expectations so you don't end up being disappointed and giving up.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Wizard

Just a few things to add in: practice public speaking. YOU are the representative of the sponsor to the public. If you talk to groups about fishing during college, list it in your resume. School groups, fishing clubs, church groups--it all counts and it all doesn't have to be about fishing. Look professional--dress decently, look people in the eye, show confidence. Go to fishing shows and introduce yourself to potential sponsors. Take time NOW to learn about the business side of the sport. Fishing is easy, the business of fishing is hard. To be successful, you have to know and do both. As Lee said, build a fishing tournament history. Sponsors look at anglers who do well. Anglers who finish last get nada from sponsors. Learn to fish both shallow and deep; lakes and rivers, all seasons. Learn forage movements through the seasons and remember that forage is the key to fishing. It's hard to catch bass in the best looking cover if forage isn't in the area.
Sponsors: pick them carefully. Representing sponsors takes time. Make sure what you get from the sponsor is worth the effort of representation. Many sponsors ask a lot and give little. The worst part I left to last: TO FISH THE UPPER LEVEL TRAILS TAKES ABOUT $100K IN THE BANK TO GET THROUGH A YEAR. DON'T risk your family, house or possessions. I wish you success.
Wizard

Lee Smith

I know it's probably sounding like we're trying to talk you out of it, but in reality, we are not, we are trying to talk you into it! 

You have chose a tough business to be in, we're all old and we only deal with reality  lo  Also, we have all been sponsored by big companies sometime in our lives/careers. 

DO YOU WANT IT?  Answer that to yourself, doesn't matter to us, if you can look in the mirror and be truthful with yourself and answer that with a solid YES, your good, get after it, don't let anything stop you!  If there is the slightest question, enjoy fishing, enjoy the outdoors, enjoy life, fish some tourneys and show your buddies how good you are.  Have fun!!

I/We wish you all the best, I and many many others on here will do any and everything we can to help a young man get going, but YOU have to do the work, YOU have to want it and YOU have to pay the piper!

TboneBassin

Thanks for all of the replies and thoughts you all gave me. I hope that i can use this to make my break in the fishing business. And I hope i didn't give off the impression that i was looking for a handout or something free. I am looking to try to make something out of the sport I love the most. So thanks for all of the advice and i will try my hardest to put it to work and see where i can go.

Lee Smith

Quote from: TboneBassin on January 12, 2017, 09:45:28 AM
Thanks for all of the replies and thoughts you all gave me. I hope that i can use this to make my break in the fishing business. And I hope i didn't give off the impression that i was looking for a handout or something free. I am looking to try to make something out of the sport I love the most. So thanks for all of the advice and i will try my hardest to put it to work and see where i can go.

Go tear there ass up and when I see you on the big stage I can tell somebody, 'hey, I yacked with that guy one time, knew he was gonna make it!  ~c~  ~c~

TboneBassin

If that happens I wont forget my advice from UB.

caddyjoe77

Quote from: TboneBassin on January 12, 2017, 10:25:25 AM
If that happens I wont forget my advice from UB.

It is not a matter of if......but when.  PMA sir. 

BeerMe