Boat Spares

Started by Bud Kennedy, February 01, 2017, 08:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

While re arranging the garage I ran into a few treasures that Had been mis-placed.  Among these items were some spare items that I have for the boat.  Some of these were in the boat and I have no idea how they found their way into the garage.  This got me thinking about what spares do you keep for your fishing machine.

I have a spare trolling motor with prop and a spare prop for the big motor.  I have used the spare trolling motor but have never had to replace the prop as yet although my current prop needs to be serviced so I will finally put on the spare.  I also found a spare box of fuses, a trolling motor rope and my bag of basic tools.  Got to be sure to put this stuff back in the boat.  I guess one should consider taking a boat resource inventory every so often just to be sure the spares you have are where they need to be.  I don't carry the trolling motor or spare prop in the boat and they will remain in the garage.  I suppose if I were on a long out of town trip, I would consider taking them.

Lee Smith

Always keep an extra prop and hub in the boat!  One spin and one rock will ruin your day, and night possibly when you a few miles from the ramp.

Don't cost anything other than space, but dang sure helps when it happens.  Believe me, I learned the hard way, real hard way!! 
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Mike Cork

I care a spare prop with me. Used to carry a spare hub but used it and haven't replaced it yet. (Great reminder thread a lots of stumps in my neck of the woods).

I carry spare trolling motor pins and basic tools. Most things on boats now a days is rather expensive and carrying a spare is difficult. I'm fortunate on the trolling motor as I have a mechanic about 30 minutes away from most lakes I fish that can fix me up on the spot.

Rods and reels... I've got about a dozen spares  ~roflmao

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

Good reminder.  I will put the spare big motor prop back in the boat.  Always had it in the boat at Santee just because of all the stumps.  The other thing I mentioned a while back was to check on the fire extinguishers.  The Fire service company is coming here this week to check all of my extinguishers.  Got 2 in the house, 2 in the garage and 1 in the boat and he will service and certify all of them right here. 

Oldfart9999

I have to say that I thought this might be thread about spare boats. ~roflmao I don't have room for a spare TM but I do carry plugs and fuses.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bassinbrian

Good post   
I'm getting as boat soon and never had more than a row boat. So this will be my 1st "real"  boat. I need to make a list of things like you guys mentioned ^^^^

BB

Princeton_Man

I have carried a spare prop when I'm far from home. It's absolutely necessary when you're following Lee Smith.  ~roflmao Never know where he may lead you.  ~roflmao

For several years I've said I was going to pick up a cheap lightweight prop to keep in the boat all the time but I hesitate to keep a nice stainless on board when fishing local waters.

I do have prop pin and nut for the TM, Prop nut/washer, couple of fuses (most everything has breakers). Zip ties, duct tape, electric tape, small rolls of 16ga electrical wire, a couple varieties of epoxy including one for below waterline repairs.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on February 02, 2017, 07:45:47 AM
I have to say that I thought this might be thread about spare boats. ~roflmao

I thought the same thing Rodney!  ~roflmao
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Montyb64

I keep a decent amount of tools in the boat but I don't have a spare prop or hub. I used to keep  extra tm pins in a tackle box when that was my only source or power but the tm that I have now I don't even think they make parts for it anymore.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Deadeye

I keep a decent selection of tools, new TM Rope, extra TM handle, extra TM pins, spare fuses, jumper cables, hand held air horn, whistle, Anchor with a long rope (can also be used for towing), Extra set of clothes (shorts, underwear, shirt, socks), zip ties, misc.

Don't have a spare prop-- yet. Once I do would carry it.