New member in Citra, any Orange Lake info?

Started by cport, January 28, 2017, 09:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cport

Hello FL bassers! Due to a fire at my previous dwelling, we are now relocated at the Grand Lake RV Resort for a few years, right on Orange Lake. I know this used to be the premier bass destination in the 70s, and has suffered from the massive sink hole drainage and droughts since. I'm hoping the plants of bass starting in 2013 and the vegetation management that has been going on have kick started the bass population. I plan on putting in a lot of time on the water once I get the trim/tilt solenoid replaced on my Christmas present from my wife, a 2002 tracker 21' fishin' barge, as the RV park has moorage for 50 bucks per month (I know, great deal).

So far, fishing from the resort's dock that is next to the Heagy-Burry boat ramp, I have managed one 14" bass on an Arkansas Shiner zoom fluke a few weeks back, and 4 mudfish on same. Also hooked a 2 foot gator on Rebel PopR during a hot August full moon. That was crazy! He hit and fought like a bass, couldn't really see as it was 2AM, even with the full moon. So I am bringing it closer, and I see eyes, and thought, "Oh crap, this sucker is going after my bass!" So I waved my arm to scare it, it darted under the water laterally, snap went the line, and I realized what had happened ~gator.

Anyway, I was hoping I could get a few tips on lures and colors that are effective here. Not asking for any honey holes   ~shhh, but maybe a few general areas to start once I get on the lake. I really like to use flukes (confidence bait) and other plastics, and have been known to knock out a few LMs with a jig. Not too experienced with cranks, but I guess I better learn; I hear lipless cranks work well here. I am also looking to get into chatterbaits after watching quite a few You Tube videos on the subject. Any tips will be more than welcome, and I am not stingy with what patterns are working when I figure something out; however, I tend to be just as silent as the next basser when it comes to honey holes lo. Looking forward to hearing from my fellow forum members.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Lipripper

Sounds like you need to get a  ~gator license  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

cport

LOL! I was so ticked, it had been a real grind, only one bite before that one, and my heart was pumping with visions of a 4 to 5 pounder. Then my heart sank when the line went POP and I  couldn't believe it  :shocking: . Then I was mad after I realized what had happened   ~xyz , then was depressed  :'( then I just had to shake my head  ::) . Four out of the five stages of grief or loss lo
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Lipripper

at least you didn't have try and unhook it. ~sweat

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Donald Garner

cport

Welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

cport

Quote from: Donald Garner on January 28, 2017, 02:16:44 PM
cport

Welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here  ~c~
Thanks Don. Great so far.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SFL BassHunter

Welcome to UB and welcome to the Florida forum! Sounds like a nice place to be right on the lake! Heck at least you know there are bass in there cause you caught one!
Quick release on a gator at 2am is the best thing that could have happened to you in that situation even if you did lose a lure.

Hope you find some more bass in that lake! Sorry I can't help as I have never fished it.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

analfisherman

Welcome to the site!!!

Look forward to learning from you!
Sorry to hear about the fire and REAL SORRY YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN FLORIDA!   ;) ;D

If you ever come back to the STATES.......let me know....I'll even tell you some great Honey Holes!  ;) lo
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

cport

Quote from: analfisherman on January 28, 2017, 05:56:18 PM
Welcome to the site!!!

Look forward to learning from you!
Sorry to hear about the fire and REAL SORRY YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN FLORIDA!   ;) ;D

If you ever come back to the STATES.......let me know....I'll even tell you some great Honey Holes!  ;) lo
Thanks bud! I've already started learning from you; that double drop shot rig is a great tip.

And hey, welcome back to being a red state again, couldn't have made America great again without your help, WI.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Thornback

cport -- How is the water level at the ramp at Heagy- Burry? I know the lake level must be down. Also how about the tussocks in Orange Lake? Last time I fished Orange I entered from Lochloosa via Cross Creek. On trying to return tussocks had blocked the creek entrance. Had i not had a GPS with tracking I would not have known it was the same area we entered Orange. We were lucky enough to find a small creek that got us past the tussocks.

cport

It is low, but still launchable. The DFG has done a great job chewing up those tussocks; they are smaller now and most of it has been eliminated. If you get out there, let me know how it goes.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Thornback

Thanks. I probably won't be up to Orange until after the summer when we have had 3 to 4 months of rain to bring up the lake level. And if you fish there in the meantime post a photo of your catch. I was at Heagy-Burry about 7 years ago for a tournament weigh-in and I saw some huge bass.

cport

I've only been able to fish the dock at the RV resort, with only one dink, 5 or 6 big mudfish, some specks, and about 5 warmouth. I'm hoping I can get my boat running soon.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Deadeye

I used to hear a LOT about Orange Lake, now it's every now and then.

In almost Every Fl Lake these will work:

UV Speedworm, both weighted and swam under the surface and weightless buzzed on top. Colors vary some but Watermelonseed, Watermelno Red, Junebug, Black Saffire all work.

Ribbontail worms swam slowly and/or hopped on bottom. Black with a Blue Tail is hard to beat. Junebug, Watermelon, Watermelon Red, Red Shad all work as well.

Rattletraps. Black back and chrome, Blue back and chrome, Orange belly.

Topwaters: Devil Horse, Spook, Pop-R, Chug bug, Buzz Bait.

Spinnerbaits and Chatterbaits

Umbrella rigs

Flukes

The main thing is keep trying until you find what is working that day. Main colors are Black & Blue, June Bug, Watermelon, Watermelon Red, White, Red Shad.

good Luck!