Keel guard on an aluminum bass boat ?

Started by Team KaRu, February 03, 2017, 09:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Team KaRu

Will a Keelshield or similar product stick to a painted hull (keel)?

Does anybody use or recommend "Line-X" for a keel guard?
PB: 10.3 lbs - Lake Fork

Mike Cork

I've used Keel Shield for years and have never had a problem and the protection is amazing. But they do have trouble with certain aluminum boats, it has to do with the very sharp keel edge. Their website recommends calling them. If you have a boat that it will work on, I highly recommend Keel Shield, it will be the last keel product you buy :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

If it's riveted no but it might on a welded hull.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

West6550

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 03, 2017, 10:11:23 AM
I've used Keel Shield for years and have never had a problem and the protection is amazing. But they do have trouble with certain aluminum boats, it has to do with the very sharp keel edge. Their website recommends calling them. If you have a boat that it will work on, I highly recommend Keel Shield, it will be the last keel product you buy :-*
Mike hit it dead on. Just contact them. They had me send some pictures of my keel via email and they said mine was fine.

Team KaRu

Thanks guys!  I'll make the call into them!
PB: 10.3 lbs - Lake Fork

Bigwrench

Here's my take on it but first I will say I think the Keel Shield is the best thing out there and love it on my Ranger.
On my aluminum rig I do not think it will work for a couple reasons.
My keel line is riveted with I think 170+ rivets in the front.
It's also painted and it has a coat of goop "coat it" for water proofing as well.
  If yours is welded I would think it's possible but if like mine with the rivets I do not see a good way to get a solid mechanical bond between the two surfaces.
My plans are to prep that area well, tape the entire section off in the pattern I want and apply a thicker coat of the goop product. I would like to get at least 1/4" thickness built up there and use strings on each side for a clean cut, just like they do for spray in bedliners. Since it has Kevlar fibers and is a 2 part compound that is practically bulletproof when dry I'm pretty sure this will work out great (in theory). As soon as I get healed well enough to continue on with my Aluminum build I will try it out. Estimated cost $35-$50.
Just another option if they advise against the keel shield .
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.