Wolf Creek

Started by Russ199A, February 03, 2017, 11:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ199A

Anyone have any info on Wolf Creek? I know it can only be fished on fairly calm days, but was wondering how the catching was going?
I plan on fishing it once I get moved back up there.
Heard there was an algae issue in some of the lakes. Curious if the significance is as bad as I've heard or if it's just talk.
Thanks for any info.
2014, 2016 & 2017 TCTC AOY - With a little help from the man upstairs!

Pacific NW Ron

Are you asking about wolf creek in Kansas?
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Russ199A

Yes. I retire from the AF in a year and will be moving back to the Concordia area.

Lipripper

Quote from: Russ199A on February 04, 2017, 12:39:11 PM
Yes. I retire from the AF in a year and will be moving back to the Concordia area.
Going back to the cold  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

Hi Russ.
First, Thanks for your service to this great country.
I'm originally from around the Wichita area and still visit family in the area often.
Wolf Creek would be a long drive for you from Concordia.  You'll have several other good body's of water closer to you.  That being said Wolf Creek is a good fisheries.
There are a couple members from Kansas on here.  Maybe they'll chime in here and give you more detailed info.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

coldfront

Quote from: Russ199A on February 04, 2017, 12:39:11 PM

heck of a drive... think it's 'about on the way' to look at Waubonsie... give it a good look ... great little flint hills lake...  just a PITA to get on... they are way militant about zebra mussels... so do a little research...

community lake... requires a special permit.  Some really nice LMB and SMB to be had there.

I think it's worth it.

also, Council Grove city lake... and some nice bass have come out of the northern reaches of CG reservoir... but you may have to really work for them.

Just about as close to Wilson from Concordia....?  then there's Milford for SMB and hybrids...

some solid opportunities there...

Pacific NW Ron

Yes, some good fishing in the area.  I've fished most of the lakes you mentioned at one time or another.
I plan on going back this spring or summer for a week or so.   I'll be staying at my brothers in Hesston.
Maybe we can connect up. 
Ron

Tavery5

Quote from: Russ199A on February 03, 2017, 11:28:27 AM
Anyone have any info on Wolf Creek? I know it can only be fished on fairly calm days, but was wondering how the catching was going?
I plan on fishing it once I get moved back up there.
Heard there was an algae issue in some of the lakes. Curious if the significance is as bad as I've heard or if it's just talk.
Thanks for any info.

What would you like to know about Wolf Creek?  Algae is not that big of a factor in KS, there were a few lakes that had problems, but it was only in some areas of those lakes.   Most of the better lakes seem to be unaffected.

coldfront

Quote from: sportsmansfriend on February 04, 2017, 07:12:03 PM
Yes, some good fishing in the area.  I've fished most of the lakes you mentioned at one time or another.
I plan on going back this spring or summer for a week or so.   I'll be staying at my brothers in Hesston.
Maybe we can connect up. 
Ron

;D
I live in Chattanooga, TN now...  you're welcome if  you ever get out this way.
Did grow up in Moundridge...and spent some time in Manhattan...

some familiarity with some of the lakes..  but those Flint Hill gems are some great little lakes.

Russ199A

Just looking for general info. As for the drive, it's really not that bad, it should only be 2.5 - 3 hours. It's the warm water for winter time fishing that got my attention.  There's several pp lakes in East Texas that are great cold weather  fisheries.

Russ199A

Quote from: Tavery5 on February 04, 2017, 10:49:15 PM
What would you like to know about Wolf Creek?  Algae is not that big of a factor in KS, there were a few lakes that had problems, but it was only in some areas of those lakes.   Most of the better lakes seem to be unaffected.
Water temps during winter months?
Primary baits? Crawfish, worms, swimbaits, cranks? Tx rigs or C-rigs?
Average depth to fish? On the bank or off shore deep structure?
There isn't much activity on the Kansas board. I'm looking to change that a little.
I got my Dad hook'd on Louisiana's big fish and I know he and I will be making some trips from time to time.