Line for Chatterbaits

Started by rockchalk06, February 23, 2017, 08:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockchalk06

Just curious what everyone is using for line and why? I'll be using a 736CB.

Mike Bush

20lb FC. Plenty of strength, and tough. Easier to cast than braid as well.  I was using the 765glass, now the 736glass. Im not a fan of braid in general, so I wont recommend it for anything except serious punching (I use 25lb FC mostly), frogs and some topwater.

Im a FC guy...any time I can use it.

cbburke

LINE: FC or Copolymer 12 to 14 Lbs
ROD: 734 Dobyns Champion without issues.

WHY: Works like a beast for me 

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

rockchalk06

I should also note this rod will also be used for square bills and the occasional spinner baits

zippyduck

FC or Copolymer all day. It helps to keep the bow out of the line and sinks to keep it down. It also has enough stretch to keep fish pinned.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SFL BassHunter

20lb senshi mono, 15lb yozuri or 40 braid.

I personally like yozuri for moving baits like cranks, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits cause of its break strength. It is some powerful stuff. but I feel it hinders my topwater baits walking ability and I throw my topwaters on the same line. Hence why I use 20lb senshi mono instead.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Donald Garner

Berkeley Big Game 20lb Clear Mono.  Rod of choice BPS 7ft Extreme (MH).  I tried using braided line but kept having backlashes.  I got tired of messing with it and went back to mono. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

FloridaFishinFool

Braid for almost everything. I also use some Berkley Fireline the original fused line in smoke color. I no longer use clear lines except for backing under the braid or fireline.

Guess it is the dark water and heavy vegetation we have around here. One of my fishing buddies uses clear line and he snaps it and loses fish- including two of his favorite chatterbaits on a recent fishing trip on the St. Johns River.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

steve76

I usually throw them on a 734 with 15lb mono. Sometimes I will use a 705cb with 15lb FC. We don't have any vegetation in the lakes I fish so I stay away from braid also.

Bassun67

In the past 2 years I used chatterbait 80% of the time not caring water clarity or seasons, braid only. worked? A big yes.

why not FC? we here got lots of pikes and I don't want to lose 10 CAD in one bite. I used 80 lb mono as leader to prevent the cut but eventually braid solved my problem. 

Mike Bush

Quote from: Bassun67 on February 24, 2017, 03:48:45 PM
In the past 2 years I used chatterbait 80% of the time not caring water clarity or seasons, braid only. worked? A big yes.

why not FC? we here got lots of pikes and I don't want to lose 10 CAD in one bite. I used 80 lb mono as leader to prevent the cut but eventually braid solved my problem.

Only reason I will go to braid. Toothy fish suck.

RC-Again, 20lb FC for the new baits you added. I would step down to 16lb at the very lowest. You are making casts, usually a pretty strong reaction bite. I throw all that around various crap that light line will not play well with. I just do 20 and forget it. That glass rod will absorb the shock, that is why I wouldnt put mono on it. Far too much overalls stretch between line and movement of rod itself. Braid would be the "best" pairing of rod and line, but Im not a braid guy. I despise the stuff.

Mossive

buddy and i were throwing the same chatter bait next to each other. i had braid he had floro. end of the day he had 5 fish i had none.

i kick myself for not making the switch sooner

Mike Bush

Threw some 16lb Sunline this last weekend on the 736 glass and 1/2oz chatterbaits...worked great. Caught a few, nothing great. Water was 44* though.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Mike Bush on March 10, 2017, 07:10:44 PM
Threw some 16lb Sunline this last weekend on the 736 glass and 1/2oz chatterbaits...worked great. Caught a few, nothing great. Water was 44* though.

Mike,

That was my plan for today, but it would up being 30's and windy. I'll use today to clean up before the Mrs gets back from Canada.

cortman

IMO Fluoro is the best line for versatility. It has just enough stretch and sensitivity and you don't need to mess with leaders. I've been using 15 lb. fluoro on my MH MF setup, and I am really liking it. I use it for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, crankbaits, small swimbaits and even jerkbaits when I need to.

Princeton_Man

Braid 30lb Power Pro Super Slick.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

merc1997

i just use braid.  better feel and hook ups.  i hear of many that have issues casting braid.  i do not seem to have that issue, and here is perhaps why.  i use the old round reels that the level wind goes back and forth on the cast.  this seems to work much better with braid.  many of my buddies have dug out their old 5500c3's to use for braid.

when the level wind does not move back and forth on the cast, i makes the braid jump over itself during the cast, and that slight bump causes problems in line flow.  it could also be a matter of fine tuning the adjustments.  a buddy of mine was having an issue with his reel that he put some 15 lb. braid of to fish crankbaits.  i took his rod and started fine tuning the tensioner knob and the magnetic brakes and could throw it a mile everytime without issue.

i think it is one of those issues of learning the rules of braid and you will get along fine.

bo

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Mike Bush

Quote from: rockchalk06 on March 11, 2017, 08:55:42 AM

Mike,

That was my plan for today, but it would up being 30's and windy. I'll use today to clean up before the Mrs gets back from Canada.

Cold as crap this weekend too...didnt go out. Working on a boating accessory invention anyway. Boat is at dealer anyway...be another week or so I think. Weather looks decent this coming weekend though. Not rushing anything, low 40s is staying until we can get warmer nights.

Silas

I use line from my 1,000 yard Spool of YOZURI 10# for the shallow Swamp.
   Always use 1/4-3/8 size Chatterbaits.

Presently using Dobyns 764CBRM WITH A Ryoga 1016 fitted with a 1,000 Spool.

Works great as a Chatterbaits combo!